2014 Steering wheel display

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Shrieker

Re: 2014 Steering wheel disply

theTTshark wrote:Really not that impressive. Companies have been making advanced dashes for quite some time. My new favorite is Motec's new color dash. Motec dash's can also act as the datalogger too, but that wouldn't be powerful enough for what the teams require. Still though, this is one area that F1 is having to catch up to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJt6uLqKga8
I'm wondering whether contemporary smartphones could be used in this context. Well not on F1 cars of course. I'm an avid motorbike fan, and from time to time some manufacturers decide it's a good idea to save some on dashboards. So you know where I'm coming from :)
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

RideRate
RideRate

These dashes are awesome and really nice because of the functionality and configurabilty. No, they dont log data, but that is not what they are built to do. There's plenty of logging apparatuses available so no need to junk up display hardware with that function. For sure they are a lot more fun for the engineer as it's hard to get a driver to look much further than lap times and shift lights.

neilbah
neilbah

cant say i'm too surprised that the display in the p1 is very similar

Shrieker

neilbah wrote:cant say i'm too surprised that the display in the p1 is very similar
I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn it's actually the same display !

Think about this: "The P1's display is currently being used by five teams competing in the 2014 Formula 1™ World Championship"

Well played Macca =D>
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Lycoming
Lycoming

I think you'd go with a much larger dash for a road car, wouldn't you? You're not constrained with having to make it small enough to fit on the wheel, you have the whole dash. Plus, an F1 driver needs very little information from his dash. A road car driver would like much, much more info from the dash since he doesn't have an engineer over a radio reviewing all the telemetry.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Shrieker wrote:
neilbah wrote:cant say i'm too surprised that the display in the p1 is very similar
I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn it's actually the same display !

Think about this: "The P1's display is currently being used by five teams competing in the 2014 Formula 1™ World Championship"

Well played Macca =D>
how is this even remotely similar?

:-" :-"
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

neilbah
neilbah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DresnFq ... r_embedded

in this video when i first watched it it looked like they had same shift lights but now its apparent the P1 has digital ones rather than actual leds like the f1 car, the orientation of them is similar as is the gear indicator so i suppose its 'inspired by'. It was hard to make out in the vid but now ive seen it again id agree.

siskue2005

The Current Lap delta on the steering wheel in the old display was fantastic on Qualifying
like this
But i cant see the lap delta that prominent in the new display here
But the new display gives the car a new high tech look considering the current trend with larger display phones and tablet....and also i like the new lap counter with current lap and previous lap (just like rfactor)

Shrieker

@ Manoah2u,

I was just doing some thought exercise :( It'd be good for marketing. Having said that, the P1 doesn't need any marketing in the display department lol. It's display is already a lot more extensive and glamorous, as it should be.
-Atatürk

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Shrieker wrote:@ Manoah2u,

I was just doing some thought exercise :( It'd be good for marketing. Having said that, the P1 doesn't need any marketing in the display department lol. It's display is already a lot more extensive and glamorous, as it should be.
it's a great idea yes, would indeed give a good market approach - but they're simply far from similar :wink:

quite frankly, since the P1's display is a screen, they can put any image on that if they want so it would be easy done to put a f1 screen on the cockpit there.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

humble sabot

siskue2005 wrote:The Current Lap delta on the steering wheel in the old display was fantastic on Qualifying
http://www.mclarenelectronics.com/Conte ... PCU-8D.png
tCurrDelta -00.23

It's staring you in the face
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

siskue2005

humble sabot wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:The Current Lap delta on the steering wheel in the old display was fantastic on Qualifying
http://www.mclarenelectronics.com/Conte ... PCU-8D.png
tCurrDelta -00.23

It's staring you in the face
maybe staring you in the face if you look at a studio photo like this>>
i am talking about when we see an onboard shot while racing with glare from sunlight and movement from the wheel, the tCurrDelta in the new lcd will not be visible like the red LED display we had in the old system >> Like this >>

can you see anything at all in the photo below??? maybe the real onboard would show a better image but it wont like anything like the photo of vettel above

stefan_
stefan_

A good view of the display mounted on Mercedes W05's steering wheel.

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

godlameroso

At this stage drivers should have HUD's in their helmet visors
Saishū kōnā

Lycoming
Lycoming

I'm sure the drivers would love the idea of adding more weight to their helmets so that they can have, right in front of their eyes, information that they need to access a few times per lap at most. You almost never need to actually look at the dash, you can catch the shift lights without taking your eyes off the road, plus there's an audio cue. The rest of the stuff isn't info you need in front of your eyes all the time, like gear, laptime delta, etc.

A military fighter is different. Airspeed, artificial horizon, altimeter, clime rate, weapons targetting, etc. is all information you need to have right in front of you all the time.