2014 Steering wheel display

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
godlameroso

Re: 2014 Steering wheel disply

Lycoming wrote:I'm sure the drivers would love the idea of adding more weight to their helmets so that they can have, right in front of their eyes, information that they need to access a few times per lap at most. You almost never need to actually look at the dash, you can catch the shift lights without taking your eyes off the road, plus there's an audio cue. The rest of the stuff isn't info you need in front of your eyes all the time, like gear, laptime delta, etc.

A military fighter is different. Airspeed, artificial horizon, altimeter, clime rate, weapons targetting, etc. is all information you need to have right in front of you all the time.
The technology is nothing new, there are versions for bike helmets, and the HUD wouldn't add any significant weight. I'm not saying you need tons of information on screen it could be customized for each driver's needs. This would free up space on the steering wheel.
Saishū kōnā

humble sabot

siskue2005 wrote: maybe staring you in the face if you look at a studio photo like this>>___
I can't see that on my tv so the point is moot. Why would i be watching his wheel anyway when i should be watching his racing line?
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

humble sabot

godlameroso wrote:This would free up space on the steering wheel.
I'm sure, given the limited view of the track that an F1 driver has these days there won't be too many clambering for a display that crowds their vision.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

kalinka

I'm just wondering..is it possible to put current fuel consumption data on the new McLaren display? It can help drivers to learn which driving style will save them more fuel.

agip

What's the white bar for?

slimfitcasual

agip wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0oeiMjoJ-o

What's the white bar for?
Surely programmable. KERS perhaps?
Per ardua ad astra

TAG

Re: 2014 Steering wheel display

Afterthought from last year. Anyone know why Ferrari and perhaps others switched to steering wheels without the large displays, most evident in wet races, so perhaps a concern with reliability? There were some teams namely Mercedes and McLaren that always used the wheels with the display and some teams that only used wheels without the display.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Cuky

Re: 2014 Steering wheel display

TAG wrote:Afterthought from last year. Anyone know why Ferrari and perhaps others switched to steering wheels without the large displays, most evident in wet races, so perhaps a concern with reliability? There were some teams namely Mercedes and McLaren that always used the wheels with the display and some teams that only used wheels without the display.
As far as I remember Ferrari had used the same wheel in all test, practice and race sessions.

Here is onboard video of Alonso retiring in Suzuka. It was a wet race and they used wheel with large display
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzk6tHUKBf8[/youtube]

Only teams that changed their displays through the season were Force India (which tested wheel with new LCD display in last few races) and Williams (at Abu Dhabi tests after last race).

Lotus, Red Bull and Caterham were only teams that did not use new LCD displays at any point in 2014.

Mercedes, Ferrari, Toro Rosso, McLaren, Sauber and Marussia used only new LCD display.