More torque at the wheels?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
bhall

Re: More torque at the wheels?

trinidefender wrote:This would be correct for every engine AT THAT PARTICULAR RPM, however while they may produce the same max hp at that rpm, the power (as a function of torque and rpm) at lower rpm will be greater at a low rpm. Therefore while at full power rpm the 2014 engines may produce similar torque numbers to the wheels, the torque numbers lower down the rev range at 10,000 9000 and 8000 rpm will be much higher than the equivalent reduction in rpm vs loss of torque for the older V8's
Not if they were geared correctly. A gearbox multiplies torque by the same proportion in which it reduces rotation. Last year's engines required much larger reductions, because they operated at much higher RPM. Therefore, each gear multiplied torque in greater amounts.

Tommy Cookers

presumably most of the difference between 2014 'gearing' and 2013's is in the final drive ratio

much has been posted based on 2014/2013 differences in power/torque curves of (underlying) full demand/steady state behaviour
but the OP is in highlighting driveability issues really asking about partial demand/transient behaviour
(as in a moving car torque cannot exist seperately from power non-designers should never have started using the word torque)

this is basically a mapping issue, or the 2014 equivalent thereof
NA F1 cars have had 20 years of 2 dimensional mapping that modifies the torque/power curve whenever the OPs condition occurs
so helping the driver (temporarily making the underlying behaviour more like a 2014 engines ie falling torque/constant power)
with the new cars this is a much more complex and difficult task and some (cars and drivers) are not optimised in this respect

surely in 3 months the problem will be gone, despite 2014s basically different underlying power/torque behaviour relative to 2013's ?
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 20 Mar 2014, 13:44, edited 2 times in total.

autogyro

Tommy Cookers wrote:presumably most of the difference between 2014 'gearing' and 2013's is in the final drive ratio

much has been posted based on 2014/2013 differences in power/torque curves of (underlying) full demand/steady state behaviour
but the OP is in highlighting driveability issues really asking about partial demand/transient behaviour

this is basically a mapping issue, or the 2014 equivalent thereof
NA F1 cars have had 20 years of 2 dimensional mapping that modifies the torque/power curve whenever the OPs condition occurs
so helping the driver
with the new cars this is a much more complex and difficult task and some (cars and drivers) are not optimised in this respect

surely in 3 months the problem will be gone, despite 2014s basically different underlying power/torque behaviour relative to 2013's ?
Fine tune your hybrid sir? Pleasure.

machin

Tommy Cookers wrote:non-designers should never have started using the word torque)
Amen to that. Whenever I read a main stream car magazine I can't help myself mentally saying "mid-range power" every time a journo writes "the engine has loads of torque" since that is what they really mean.

Interestingly the "torque" virus hasn't infected the world of road cycling (my main love!): everyone talks about watts. it is very refreshing!
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

xpensive

machin wrote:
Tommy Cookers wrote:non-designers should never have started using the word torque)
Amen to that. Whenever I read a main stream car magazine I can't help myself mentally saying "mid-range power" every time a journo writes "the engine has loads of torque" since that is what they really mean.
Like Jeremy Clarkson, he could benefit from a lecture or two in elementary physics/mechanics.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Richard

machin wrote:Interestingly the "torque" virus hasn't infected the world of road cycling (my main love!): everyone talks about watts. it is very refreshing!
That's because they feel the difference! Also road cycling is a fuel conservation exercise, the riders know how much power they can produce for 6 hours or so and the legs are like metronomes regardless of the bike speed.

I remember Froome or Wiggins were asked why they didn't chase a Tour De France breakaway. They said they just focused on keeping as close to X watts on the display on the handle bars knowing the people ahead would burn out while those who had dropped back would get burnt out trying to catch up. No mention of speed or mileage just X watts for Y hours.