Idea's for the next engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PhillipM

Re: Idea's for the next engine formula

If the active aero adapts behind another car, then naturally it has to adapt away from the otherwise ideal configuration, no matter which way you cut it, it's compromised. Maybe less than currently, but with smaller engines and less power it'd be even more of an issue.

Nobody would make a mistake because with more aero downforce for more grip in the corners (as you yourself stated in your OP, if we're going for the 'who mentioned more grip' angle again...) and even less power and torque they'll be even further inside their traction envelope than they already are due to lower acceleration forces and higher apex speeds.

The series doesn't need a challenge, or want a challenge, or have a viable reason for giving itself a challenge. The series just needs to entertain it's audience and make money.
The engineers and drivers need a challenge, not the series.

What the series needs is less aero dependence and more on the tyres and chassis. Your tyres and suspension/chassis don't generally care if there's a car in front or not.
Frankly it's been nice to see the engines make more difference for a change rather than someone just buying the best aero team.

Andres125sx

PhillipM wrote:If the active aero adapts behind another car, then naturally it has to adapt away from the otherwise ideal configuration, no matter which way you cut it, it's compromised.
ideal configuration when in clean air, but if in a slipstream the ideal configuration is different and need a higher AoA to produce same downforce. With active aero this would be posible and overtaking would be way easier
PhillipM wrote:Nobody would make a mistake because with more aero downforce for more grip in the corners (as you yourself stated in your OP, if we're going for the 'who mentioned more grip' angle again...) and even less power and torque they'll be even further inside their traction envelope than they already are due to lower acceleration forces and higher apex speeds.
Actually I wouldn´t care if downforce is the same or even lower than today, I agree F1 is too dependant on aero. The active aero purpose is not to increase cornering speed, but to decrease drag and compensate the power deficit so top speeds are similar, and also to compensate the lack of downforce when in a slipstream

To me it would be a lot more advanced, and that´s the supposed strong point of F1 compared to any other series. If you can combine advanced technology with a better show, then it´s a win win

There should be some limits, not sure if related to max AoA, max cord of wings, or if posible, max downforce generated. That would be the best if posible, wich I think it is as teams get info about downforce from suspensions pressure, so FIA could control max downforce from this same data

PhillipM

Andres125sx wrote:
PhillipM wrote:If the active aero adapts behind another car, then naturally it has to adapt away from the otherwise ideal configuration, no matter which way you cut it, it's compromised.
ideal configuration when in clean air, but if in a slipstream the ideal configuration is different and need a higher AoA to produce same downforce. With active aero this would be posible and overtaking would be way easier
Either way, you're still compromised away from your ideal aero, and you can't compensate for everything because the wake and vortices the car in front leaves will move and change constantly, and you don't know where. The best you could do would be to crank the wing angles up a bit mid corner and then flatten them on the straight - but with active aero, all cars would be doing that anyway, so you're back at square one.

riff_raff

Andres125sx wrote:I find it amazing how people is obsessed with power numbers...To me efficiency is a lot more interesting, I´d prefer downsizing the PUs, and improving aero efficiency.
Every single part of a modern F1 car is already engineered to provide optimum efficiency within the technical regulations. What makes you think simply reducing power would make the cars more aero efficient?
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

Andres125sx

riff_raff wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:I find it amazing how people is obsessed with power numbers...To me efficiency is a lot more interesting, I´d prefer downsizing the PUs, and improving aero efficiency.
Every single part of a modern F1 car is already engineered to provide optimum efficiency within the technical regulations. What makes you think simply reducing power would make the cars more aero efficient?
Reducing power no, reducing drag :wink:

It´s the fact I read some time ago a F1 car, on a medium downforce setting, from around 200km/h, only releasing the throtle suffer a deceleration wich is higher than a standard production car aplying full brakes

IMO the comparison provides a very good picture about how much drag F1 cars generate and need to overcome (with tons of power).

Efficiency means making the most of your resources, and with active aero they could achieve same laptimes than currently with a lot less power, ergo they´d be a lot more efficient

PhillipM

...but with much worse racing. Which is more important than maintaining the same laptime...

Andres125sx

PhillipM wrote:...but with much worse racing.
No reason for that, actually if you can compensate the lack of downforce due to dirty air, even if it´s still worse than in clean air it would be better than currently, so easier to overtake and better racing

PhillipM

Andres125sx wrote:
PhillipM wrote:...but with much worse racing.
No reason for that, actually if you can compensate the lack of downforce due to dirty air, even if it´s still worse than in clean air it would be better than currently, so easier to overtake and better racing
Can you? Because I think most people with active aero would already be running the max downforce mid corner anyway?
You've then got less acceleration, more grip, and a higher top speed, which makes getting a better drive out of a corner useless as the acceleration difference will be lower and both cars will be creeping up in terms of acceleration at higher speeds so pulling out of a slipsteam will mean you lose your tow effect almost immediately.

Andres125sx

PhillipM wrote:Can you? Because I think most people with active aero would already be running the max downforce mid corner anyway?
I was thinking about some automatic compensation when suspesion sensors read a decrease in downforce (not related with an AoA change or speed reduction) so it automatically increases the AoA further than allowed for manual settings to keep downforce as constant as possible

I think it would be doable
PhillipM wrote: You've then got less acceleration, more grip, and a higher top speed, which makes getting a better drive out of a corner useless
Yes if downforce is higher, but as we agreed some posts back that´s not a must at all

Active aero but with limiting max AoA so max downforce can be restricted.

This way downforce could be limited, and kept more constant even in a slipstream
PhillipM wrote:and both cars will be creeping up in terms of acceleration at higher speeds so pulling out of a slipsteam will mean you lose your tow effect almost immediately.
As in any racing series, if the slipstream is not enough to make the pass then wait to the braking and try it then.

Today they can´t even get into the slipstream so they´re too far the whole straight and can´t try it anywhere