Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Chuckjr

Re: Honda Power Unit

An ability to run max power for longer means more power last time I checked. :wink:
Watching F1 since 1986.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Andres125sx wrote:
20 Aug 2017, 14:23
Sorry guys, but reading this thread or at least last pages someone should add speculation thread at the end of the title

I know it´s the summer break, but I can´t remind last useful post in this thread
You want to be administrator...admit it!
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

GoranF1
GoranF1

Sauber out...TR out...Mclaren not sure, Honda might leave F1 next year.

http://en.f1i.com/news/276987-collapse- ... CE.twitter

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

FW17 wrote:
20 Aug 2017, 11:22
GoranF1 wrote:
19 Aug 2017, 23:35

Spec-3 62Kw behind Mercedes = Abu Dhabi 2016 Honda power
Honda is like Lance Stroll

Pay engine with no potential to win races
Incorrect - unlike Honda, Stroll scored a podium this year.

henry

Chuckjr wrote:
20 Aug 2017, 18:35
An ability to run max power for longer means more power last time I checked. :wink:
I take your point. But with these power units offering a single number for the consequence of a change is almost meaningless.

I was clumsy.

Edit: and I wasn't referring to max power but max sustained power. Albeit time at max power would also go up.

Edit 2: and neither of those powers will be a higher number. And on further thought you are actually referring to more energy not power. Power x time.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

GoranF1
GoranF1

henry wrote:
20 Aug 2017, 18:07
fellowhoodlums wrote:
20 Aug 2017, 17:49
Can we speculate on this Spa update? 15hp more with this new spec. What have they done?
I think I read that they are to bring a new turbocharger. So quite likely no more power but an ability to run max sustained power for some more seconds.
New TC and new MGU-K was the rumor few weeks ago.

diffuser

What happened to the major upgrade ?

GoranF1
GoranF1

diffuser wrote:
20 Aug 2017, 20:52
What happened to the major upgrade ?
Sasha was blabing about new CC, TJI and stuff but he also said Honda will suply TR.

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

Nobody here actually knows what Honda will bring next week... so we can keep speculating till we die and still not know the actual answer.

We will know after Q3 what the upgrade is capable of (maybe after FP3 even)

ZakB
ZakB

The update in Spa is part of the spec 3.0 update. The big update will come after the grand prix in Japan.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

So Honda will being around an extra 30hp to Spa?

New TC worth a reported 15hp with penalties?
New ancillaries that will bring 10hp without penalties?
New engine mapping and engine modes worth an additional 5hp, but better ECU management of engine will bring reliability improvements?

Would it be safe to say that all of this will bring the car much closer to the front, however they will have to take more penalties?

Im now hopeful for McLaren and Honda, they are undoubtable to me as the most improved for the season. I think if they were to get a podium, regardless of if its a freak race or not, it will be seen as a positive and worth it. I do think that this is the only way that Hondas management won't pull the plug.

Would it be safe to say that Alonso and Vandoorne will take a new complete power unit for Spa and Monza as they will be weak at both, with a new spec 4 coming along for Malaysia to be used at Suzuka? Im thinking that the honda Power Units will have as many as 12 in the pool for some components before the end of the year.

godlameroso

30hp? That's quite an optimistic number not sure I agree it's possible. Such numbers would bring just over half a second at Spa or a similar deficit to the front runners as Hungary. And would put the McLaren at or just under a second from the front at a favorable circuit like Singapore or COTA.
Saishū kōnā

noname
noname

godlameroso wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 02:31
(...) would put the McLaren at or just under a second from the front at a favorable circuit like Singapore or COTA.
Assuming Honda's competition is standing still and will not make any progress.

JonoNic

noname wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 02:31
(...) would put the McLaren at or just under a second from the front at a favorable circuit like Singapore or COTA.
Assuming Honda's competition is standing still and will not make any progress.
If Honda stops caring about grid penalties then they can catch up (hopefully) with the rest of the manufacturers. For example, Ferrari can't afford certain upgrades in the next few races without taking penalties and Renault seems to be on a plateau with their development. Yet we are always comparing Honda to the Mercedes PU (their reliability allows them a better chance to upgrade their PU).
Always find the gap then use it.

SameSame
SameSame

ESPImperium wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 00:00
Would it be safe to say that Alonso and Vandoorne will take a new complete power unit for Spa and Monza as they will be weak at both, with a new spec 4 coming along for Malaysia to be used at Suzuka? Im thinking that the honda Power Units will have as many as 12 in the pool for some components before the end of the year.
There is no pooling with the new rules. The only pool you have so to speak is the four allowed elements and the last of the additional elements used at a Grand Prix.