Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
MrPotatoHead

Re: Honda Power Unit

santos wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 18:23
I thought that this trick about using oil to gain performance was only used in qualifying.
If you believe everything you read here that is what you might think...

ringo

I think the rules changes don't point to what is being done. The new rules are being proactive in preventing such things from being done.
I think oil burning is a non-story; just a distraction from the real performance differentiators; the combustion, MGUH and deployment scheduling.
For Sure!!

godlameroso

ringo wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 16:48
I think the rules changes don't point to what is being done. The new rules are being proactive in preventing such things from being done.
I think oil burning is a non-story; just a distraction from the real performance differentiators; the combustion, MGUH and deployment scheduling.
The combustion is as general as you can get, the process requires CFD, chemistry, thermodynamics, engineering and a certain amount of luck to get right.Do you have any guesses as to why nailing pre-chamber combustion is so difficult? Is it a lack of precision on the engine management side? Is the combustion chamber geometry wrong? Valve timing profile? Honda has been making lots of upgrades to the fueling, induction, and exhaust systems, all of which are related to combustion.
Saishū kōnā

ziggy
ziggy

restless wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 22:44
In qualy fuel-flow is limited to 100kg/h, but oil-flow is unlimited ...
They can burn even 1l/minute for 2 laps in Q3, with ~ fuel limited to ~1.5l/lap, thats huge
+1

MrPotatoHead

ringo wrote:
I'm glad I'm not the only person with sense around here. :D

PlatinumZealot

amho wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 20:14
harjan wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 19:57
The fuel cell is max 105 liters- why are you using 126 kg?

The 100 kg/h is a max, but on part/off throttle they’re using less.
126 kg is for 1.258 hour of monza is equal to fuel rate of 100kg/hour.
if we add 3.128 kg of oil during that 1.258 hour to 125.8 kg fuel then total fuel mass flow rate is 102.480 kg/hour.
You can't burn more than 105 kilograms of fuel. That is illegal!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

HPD

Hasegawa:

Asked if there would be any changes to the way of working with McLaren now the partnership is coming to an end, Hasegawa replied: "Yes. One of the points is we want to minimize the engine upgrades for the rest of the season, but that is because we'd like to get the maximum results within this year.

"Previously we just prioritized the performance improvement, because any improvement is continuing for next year, so we didn't need to hesitate to introduce upgrades. But now we won't be working together with Stoffel [Vandoorne] and Fernando [Alonso] next year, that means we want to concentrate on this year's results for McLaren.

"I prefer to score more points this year – I'd like to contribute to this team, most of all. But of course if we can get some huge upgrade then we don't need to wait and don't need to hesitate to take a penalty."

"We have another six races left, so we may introduce one more engine as a plan. That could maybe be in Malaysia, Suzuka or the U.S. [COTA]. From that point of view we will try and avoid the penalty in Suzuka obviously, and the U.S. could be a very good potential circuit for us based on the last year's results. So from that point of view Malaysia could be a chance but it's too soon to say. It will be difficult so I cannot confirm."

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/144413-hon ... -penalties

hemichromis
hemichromis

Interesting but I'd be really surprised if they try to maximise results by not taking extra penalties for Mclaren's sake.
I feel like Alonso wouldn't mind starting at the back every race if he could actually do some racing.

I hope the Malaysia update will be the big one we are looking forward to!

etusch

Honda must not care reliablity but power. Just bring and show the power if you have it. It's not important if car doesn't finish the race.
In terms of being fair to partner they must consider their partner's interests. But this time it's fair to act like that

restless
restless

HPD wrote:
23 Sep 2017, 04:11
Hasegawa:

"We have another six races left, so we may introduce one more engine as a plan. That could maybe be in Malaysia, Suzuka or the U.S. [COTA]. From that point of view we will try and avoid the penalty in Suzuka obviously, and the U.S. could be a very good potential circuit for us based on the last year's results. So from that point of view Malaysia could be a chance but it's too soon to say. It will be difficult so I cannot confirm."

Damn it but almost sounds like no spec4 this year...

HPD

restless wrote:
23 Sep 2017, 17:02
I agree with you. Now we have the spec 3.7 so the maximum we will see will be a 3.8 or 3.9

2018 looks promising:
Helmut Marko: "We contacted Honda and did some research ourselves," explains the Red Bull Motorsportberater in an interview with ORF. "What Honda has told us, and what we have found out, makes us look optimistic about the future." As you can see from McLaren, both cars are in the top position (in the starting position in Singapore) 10, the engine is on the advance, and we know what is going on in the background. "
what do you know Marko? tell us .. mclaren chassis (? :lol: (it's a joke, relax)

techman
techman

agree with you. Now we have the spec 3.7 so the maximum we will see will be a 3.8 or 3.9

2018 looks promising:

Helmut Marko: "We contacted Honda and did some research ourselves," explains the Red Bull Motorsportberater in an interview with ORF. "What Honda has told us, and what we have found out, makes us look optimistic about the future." As you can see from McLaren, both cars are in the top position (in the starting position in Singapore) 10, the engine is on the advance, and we know what is going on in the background. "

what do you know Marko? tell us .. mclaren chassis (? :lol: (it's a joke, relax)
good stuff, i hope redbulll honda in 2019, cant wait.

Wazari

restless wrote:
23 Sep 2017, 17:02
HPD wrote:
23 Sep 2017, 04:11
Hasegawa:

That's what I've been trying to say all this time. Hasegawa-san's comment was so PC, very clever.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

techman
techman

That's what I've been trying to say all this time. Hasegawa-san's comment was so PC, very clever./quote]

what if honda bring the spec 4, they are trying to bring it malaysia. gives it more track testing and improve on it for next year.

Wazari

ringo wrote:
This is a reactionary move by the FIA not a proactive one. There is definitely a significant role with lubricants that some manufacturers are using in the combustion process, not just in qualifying but at all times.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro