Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Shandow

Re: Honda Power Unit

There is a rumor in Japan that Honda will pay Alonso's salary next season to Mclaren, in exchange for some technology that Honda uses on its engine belonging to the Mclaren technology group.

3jawchuck

Shandow wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 20:23
There is a rumor in Japan that Honda will pay Alonso's salary next season to Mclaren, in exchange for some technology that Honda uses on its engine belonging to the Mclaren technology group.
Oh, where does this rumour come from? That's pretty interesting if true. I wonder what it would be.

Soichiro

Shandow wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 20:23
Honda is supposed to be using this tech in F1 or cars? Because that would be more or equal to what customers pay for the whole F1 engine allocation per season...

techman

its a rumour, i hope honda doesnt pay a single dollar to that team anymore. honda should develop their own technology no need pay a B grade team and help them .

bigblue

Assuming it is true (big assumption, but for fun, let's go that way), complete guess, based on nothing much ... but McLaren are strong on battery / KERS technology, aren't they ? So something in that area ? Second, vague guess, something software / control related ? Can't imagine what else it could be.

Seems a bit far-fetched to be worth Alonso's entire salary for a year though.

stevesingo

techman wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 22:41
its a rumour, i hope honda doesnt pay a single dollar to that team anymore. honda should develop their own technology no need pay a B grade team and help them .
Honda have had enough opportunity to develop many aspects of the current PUs. I'm yet to see any evidence that suggests they could take on the development of another technology and deliver something worthwhile.

Time will tell when the grades are handed out next year.

Shandow

The 2014/2015/2016 season they used the young engineers with no experience in racing engines to develop the PU.
But how the thing was done this year from the middle of the season onwards they started using specialized workmanship from other areas of the company to support Sakura R&D.
An example was the locomotion of Wako R&D engineers for Sakura R&D who have worked in the past on the development of Honda Jet engines.
They should have done these things already in the first year, better late than never...

ringo

bigblue wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 22:52
Assuming it is true (big assumption, but for fun, let's go that way), complete guess, based on nothing much ... but McLaren are strong on battery / KERS technology, aren't they ? So something in that area ? Second, vague guess, something software / control related ? Can't imagine what else it could be.

Seems a bit far-fetched to be worth Alonso's entire salary for a year though.
I think his pay has been declining after his first year back at mclaren. There is not he has shown that warrants a top drawer salary.
For Sure!!

Vortex37

Dimi wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 11:14
PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 23:33
Why is the fuel piping going into the valve cover (on the left side)?

I see the cam driven pump on the right.(or maybe it's just something else bolted to the valve cover?) but.. look.. no fuel lines to be seen otherwise? hmm..

Those spark plugs might be combination injectors.. TJI... with an internal passage built into the valve cover that goes into the injectors from there?

Or maybe i am just crazy, and the injector are side entry hidden from view..

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLXW2BfUEAEAY3Y.jpg
In this photo you can see two cables running into each coil. Maybe one for the plug and the other for the injector.
Any idea what is the armored cable at the right side of each coil?
If you are talking about the square black boxes, pointed at with the white arrow. They look suspiciously like a custom Moog or Honeywell EHSV(servo valve). Which are used to...:-#

Moog products for Motorsports LINK

3jawchuck

Vortex37 wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 20:21
Dimi wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 23:33
Why is the fuel piping going into the valve cover (on the left side)?

I see the cam driven pump on the right.(or maybe it's just something else bolted to the valve cover?) but.. look.. no fuel lines to be seen otherwise? hmm..

Those spark plugs might be combination injectors.. TJI... with an internal passage built into the valve cover that goes into the injectors from there?

Or maybe i am just crazy, and the injector are side entry hidden from view..

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLXW2BfUEAEAY3Y.jpg
In this photo you can see two cables running into each coil. Maybe one for the plug and the other for the injector.
If you are talking about the square black boxes, pointed at with the white arrow. They look suspiciously like a custom Moog or Honeywell EHSV(servo valve). Which are used to...:-#

Aren't they coil packs?

Vortex37

3jawchuck wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 20:45
Vortex37 wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 20:21
Dimi wrote:

Aren't they coil packs?
I did say "they look suspiciously like" and NOT "they are". Check the Moog link, and see what you think. You're probably correct. The pic is low def on my screen, so you might see more detail. What made me suspicious, was that it looks as if they each have two connections.
Last edited by Vortex37 on 10 Oct 2017, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.

HPD

Who lies and who says the truth? Mclaren or Honda :?: :?:
Yusuke Hasegawa:
"Since the beginning of the season, we have consistently been working on improvements, not just on performance, but also on confiability."

Since the introduction of the 3.5 Grand Prix of Belgium 2017 in Spa-Francorchamps.
- "it is very close to Renault".
- "I can not say we are better than Renault, but at least our confiability is now better."

Hasegawa is convinced that the latest version of the drive is the best one ever in the McLaren.

- "We are still not far enough, but the gap is smaller than last year and the first year."

For the first time, Honda does not want to change the basic concept of the units in winter, but rather to build on the previous base when switching to Toro Rosso.

- "We have no doubt about the current concept," he says. "We now have a similar variant to Renault, Ferrari and Mercedes, so there is no reason why we should not come to the same level with our concept." On the last race weekend in Japan the Honda reliability left something to be desired. On the Alonso car was replaced after a hydraulic leak on Friday the whole unit. "It was not a fundamental engine problem".

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 01006.html

MrPotatoHead

If Honda have matched Renault then that Red Bull must be one incredible chassis with that turd if an engine...

Nickt9999

MrPotatoHead wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 23:16
That Red Bull must be one incredible chassis with that turd if an engine...
Ha ha. I can't stop laughing.

3jawchuck

MrPotatoHead wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 23:16
If Honda have matched Renault then that Red Bull must be one incredible chassis with that turd if an engine...
I think the last races have completely blown that idea out of the water and I'm surprised people keep claiming it and bringing it up.