Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
mikeerfol

Re: Honda Power Unit

http://www.crash.net/crash/news/212598/ ... track.html

Any chance they're testing the F1 PU? :lol:

F1PuertoRico

mikeerfol wrote:http://www.crash.net/crash/news/212598/ ... track.html

Any chance they're testing the F1 PU? :lol:
That runs a 2.8 V6 Twin Turbo engine...but who knows if they are mule testing the 1.6 PU

GoranF1

Mr.Craig Scarborough says Honda ICE is not as good as Mercedes yet but is already better than Renault and Ferrari.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

hurril

ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:Mr.Craig Scarborough says Honda ICE is not as good as Mercedes yet but is already better than Renault and Ferrari.
Where is he saying this?

GoranF1

Mr.Ted Kravitz says Honda is "thirsty and underpowered"

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/24100 ... ok-mclaren

GoranF1

hurril wrote:
ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:Mr.Craig Scarborough says Honda ICE is not as good as Mercedes yet but is already better than Renault and Ferrari.
Where is he saying this?
on Twitter

Belatti

ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:Mr.Ted Kravitz says Honda is "thirsty and underpowered"

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/24100 ... ok-mclaren
NO

He said
I think the more concerning thing will be the rumours that the power unit is thirsty and underpowered and we’ll only find out whether that’s true or not in pre-season testing.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

McLobby

NO DEVELOPMENT FREEDOM FOR HONDA

The interpretation that allows Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault to bring in developments over the course of 2015 will not apply to Honda because it is a new manufacturer.

Although the regulations do not specifically state dates for the Japanese car maker to submit its homologated unit, the FIA is standing by its view that it must stick to the February 28 date that the current manufacturers faced last year.

The Whiting note added: "As the existing manufacturers were obliged to homologate their power units by 28 February 2014 it would seem fair and equitable to ask a new manufacturer to homologate their power unit before February 28 2015.

"We therefore consider this to be a requirement for a new power unit manufacturer."
http://www.magnetimarelli.com/focus-on- ... e-upgrades

djos

More stupidity from the FIA!
"In downforce we trust"

FW17

djos wrote:More stupidity from the FIA!
Absolutely

The right thing to do would have been to only to homologate the parts that are frozen after 2014

Andres125sx

The Whiting note added: "As the existing manufacturers were obliged to homologate their power units by 28 February 2014 it would seem fair and equitable to ask a new manufacturer to homologate their power unit before February 28 2015.

"We therefore consider this to be a requirement for a new power unit manufacturer."
Fair and equitable to freeze one manufacturer´s engine while the rest are allowed to develop theirs???? :wtf: #-o

If someone competing with last seasson rules while the rest compete with current rules is fair, someone is going mad, not sure if it´s they or myself

Andres125sx

WilliamsF1 wrote:
djos wrote:More stupidity from the FIA!
Absolutely

The right thing to do would have been to only to homologate the parts that are frozen after 2014
Exactly

McLobby

Also since we have 2014 standards for Honda in 2015 if they wanted to play fair they should also say:

"As the existing manufacturers were obliged to use 5 PUs in 2014, it would seem fair and equitable to ask a new manufacturer to also have 5 PUs in 2015''

we all remember the chaos at Jerez test last year.
This season all the other teams will have the advantage of one year track experience and data, and they will concentrate on perfomance while Honda will be in chaos trying to get the car moving, with only 4 PUs for their first season and no development during the season, if reliability is indeed an issue, then I am afraid Honda are in a very bad position.
That's not fair at all...
As far as I understand this is not even written in the rules, it's just what Charlie Whiting sees as "fair and equitable".

Fact is they're racing against teams in 2015, since we can't send them back in time to race in 2014, the same rules should apply for everyone.

hardingfv32

They have had a year to copy Mercedes with the help of McLaren, what more do they need?

Brian

McLobby

hardingfv32 wrote:They have had a year to copy Mercedes with the help of McLaren, what more do they need?
They also had a year worth less track data (not at all actually). They didn't even spin a wheel during the 2014 season.
Do you think they could make a clone copy of Merc just by observing it? especially with all the restrictions due to last year of Merc supply. You know very well Mercedes wouldn't let that happen.
But even if that was the case (which wasn't). If it was such an advantage and so easy to copy the already successful teams, all newcomers in the history of F1 would be champion contenders from their first year.