Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: Honda Power Unit

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

So people here believe the HCCI story is true? I though it has NO real gains in a high performance engine and the pre-chamber ignition would be a more real solution.
Last edited by NL_Fer on 09 Apr 2016, 04:59, edited 2 times in total.

Sasha
Sasha

Pre-Chamber ignition and trick injectors(adj. fuel heating) is the real story.

HCCI is a red herring.

gruntguru
gruntguru

Don't you just love the speculators?
je suis charlie

hurril
hurril

gruntguru wrote:Don't you just love the speculators?
Implying that you have it form the horse's mouth, are we? =)

GoranF1
GoranF1

Sasha wrote:Pre-Chamber ignition and trick injectors(adj. fuel heating) is the real story.

HCCI is a red herring.
thats true...also split turbo design has been given to much credit besides small balance advantage as proven by Ferrari, there are certain rumors that Honda/Esso might bring another fuel spec in China in their quest to reduce fuel consumption and add more power.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Blackout

GoranF1 wrote:
Sasha wrote:Pre-Chamber ignition and trick injectors(adj. fuel heating) is the real story.

HCCI is a red herring.
thats true...also split turbo design has been given to much credit besides small balance advantage as proven by Ferrari
Nope it has many other advantages and Ferrari didnt prove anything in that regard, they are still far behind Merc.

irsq4
irsq4

I might be wrong but HCCI could be used in narrow margin for power difference demand because of hardly controllable combustion f(T, alpha ,p, etc.). Maybe even just for constant power.I mean you can optimise it f.e to work succesfully in range f.e 8-10k rpm and load 60-80 load.For other range spark plug should be still used. Spark plug is one very good device with which you can achieve desired combustion and other properties. However lots of cfd and test bench required in order to predict working conditions and after calibrate working param.

gruntguru
gruntguru

hurril wrote:
gruntguru wrote:Don't you just love the speculators?
Implying that you have it form the horse's mouth, are we? =)
No.
je suis charlie

honda_fun
honda_fun

NHK(Japan Broadcasting Corporation) broadcasted on March 24 about Honda F1-PU

On the dyno test, at HRD Sukura,
When the number of the revs of their engine was 11552rpm, the revs of the MGU-H was 90168rpm.
and the boost pressure was 3.06bar. The exhaust gas temperature was 935degC.
At the upper left meter indicate the engine rev. the upper right meter indicate the engine torque.
Look at the torque of the engine, it was 451Nm(45.98kgf・m) when the engine rev was 11295rpm.
From calculation formula, Honda's ICE power is 46(kgf・m)×11295/716=726ps
I think that the ICE+MGU-K peakpower become 886HP when I assume the MGU-K 160ps.

honda_fun
honda_fun

NHK(Japan Broadcasting Corporation) broadcasted on March 24 about Honda F1-PU

honda_fun
honda_fun

On the dyno test, at HRD Sukura,
When the number of the revs of their engine was 11552rpm, the revs of the MGU-H was 90168rpm.
and the boost pressure was 3.06bar. The exhaust gas temperature was 935degC.
At the upper left meter indicate the engine rev. the upper right meter indicate the engine torque.
Look at the torque of the engine, it was 451Nm(45.98kgf・m) when the engine rev was 11295rpm.
From calculation formula, Honda's ICE power is 46(kgf・m)×11295/716=726ps
I think that the ICE+MGU-K peakpower become 886HP when I assume the MGU-K 160ps.

Petroltorque
Petroltorque

I fear there is an error in your calculation. 726ps represents ICE + some compounding from the MGU-HEAT. So total output cannot include 160 but 160 minus the compounding of the MGU-HEAT. This has been exhaustively covered in the Horse Power of Engines thread.
Your input has given us a great insight however.

hemichromis
hemichromis

could 'ALPHA_d' be throttle?

716bhp would certainly be too weak for the ICE combined with full MGU-K.
886bhp does sound more like it, so maybe this was run was carried out without MGU-K assistance.

Great find anyway.

Frafer
Frafer

hemichromis wrote:could 'ALPHA_d' be throttle?

716bhp would certainly be too weak for the ICE combined with full MGU-K.
886bhp does sound more like it, so maybe this was run was carried out without MGU-K assistance.

Great find anyway.
ERS light is green, and by its side there is a a/c something also green.. Air con? ahah
"I will miss Gilles for two reasons. First, he was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing. Second, he was the most genuine man I have ever known. But he has not gone. The memory of what he has done, what he achieved, will always be there." J. Scheckter