Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
skoop

Re: Honda Power Unit

So according to AMuS Sauber will switch to Honda for 2018 and onwards.
Source:
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 48073.html

ME4ME

skoop wrote:So according to AMuS Sauber will switch to Honda for 2018 and onwards.
Source:
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 48073.html
I do hope that happens. It seems more and more likely.

Also I really like the idea of Acura(Honda)-Haas, although I'm not sure Honda would be capable of providing a 3rd team in 2018. Ferrari surely wouldn't like it.

Andres125sx

taperoo2k wrote: it looks as though Sergio Marchionne wants a feeder team for Ferrari young driver scheme similar to Red Bull's (that's the impression I get). Likely under an Alfa Remo brand. That may not be in Hass best interests long term

[...]

Hass switching to Honda might make sense.
Any reason you think Haas as a second team with a Ferrari PU is a bad idea but Haas as a second team with a Honda PU is a good idea?

Do you think McLaren would say nothing if Honda try to supply another team with exactly same PU?

I think McLaren would be happy with Honda supplying a second team to increase mileage and experience, but I don´t think they will accept equal treatment. They suffered the consequences of evolving an immature PU, and they were severe, that deserves some exclusivity once the PU perform as expected I think

Then if Haas will have a second class PU anycase, I don´t see any reason for a switch to Honda, do you? Haas-Ferrari deal looks solid too

mrluke

Andres125sx wrote:
taperoo2k wrote: it looks as though Sergio Marchionne wants a feeder team for Ferrari young driver scheme similar to Red Bull's (that's the impression I get). Likely under an Alfa Remo brand. That may not be in Hass best interests long term

[...]

Hass switching to Honda might make sense.
Any reason you think Haas as a second team with a Ferrari PU is a bad idea but Haas as a second team with a Honda PU is a good idea?

Do you think McLaren would say nothing if Honda try to supply another team with exactly same PU?

I think McLaren would be happy with Honda supplying a second team to increase mileage and experience, but I don´t think they will accept equal treatment. They suffered the consequences of evolving an immature PU, and they were severe, that deserves some exclusivity once the PU perform as expected I think

Then if Haas will have a second class PU anycase, I don´t see any reason for a switch to Honda, do you? Haas-Ferrari deal looks solid too
Perhaps the pain of developing a new PU would have been less if they hadn't committed Honda to exclusivity in the first place?

Saying that I would be very surprised to see HAAS switch given the whole secondment of Ferrari staff to set the team up in the first place.

While its great to see Honda supplying another team, Sauber have been making up the numbers for the last couple of seasons so can't see its going to add much insight for us.

PlatinumZealot

Joseki wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2ZIPIUWEAIueLk.jpg

Found on Twitter. Hopefully the Castrol fuel it's as good as it need to be.
Hmm so castrol confirmed. And the kit and by exentsion the livery will be grey and light grey. Exciting.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

diffuser

FW17 wrote:While the engine gets better Mclaren will demand it being exclusive.
They never asked for it to be exclusive. They just didn't want it going to someone which they thought could compete with them. They don't mind it going to someone at the back of the grid. Someone like a Sauber or Manor would fit the bill.

taperoo2k

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Joseki wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2ZIPIUWEAIueLk.jpg

Found on Twitter. Hopefully the Castrol fuel it's as good as it need to be.
Hmm so castrol confirmed. And the kit and by exentsion the livery will be grey and light grey. Exciting.
BP is the parent Company of Castrol http://www.bp.com/en/global/corporate/a ... strol.html
Honda works closely with Castrol in other motorsports, so the switch shouldn't cause too many problems. For all we know, Honda might have been experimenting with Castrol products with it's PU prototypes on the dyno's.

I wouldn't read too much into the shirt, could just be a pre season one to keep the car livery under wraps.
Grey is a rather dull colour scheme to me, but maybe I'm still annoyed by the grey dullness of one of Oxford Universities new buildings (funded by an Russian Oligarch).

mwillems

Given that Zak Brown has been talking about how excited fans will be about the Livery, I doubt we will be seeing an all grey car.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Unc1eM0nty

diffuser wrote:
They never asked for it to be exclusive. They just didn't want it going to someone which they thought could compete with them. They don't mind it going to someone at the back of the grid. Someone like a Sauber or Manor would fit the bill.
I don't think it matters what Mclaren want does it ?

I thought Honda and all PU manufactures had to supply at least two teams from next year, wasn't this directive brought in to avoid what happened to Redbull, them having to go back to Renault because no one else would give them an engine.

diffuser

So the directive is...if a customer can't find a PU supplier, the PU supplier with the fewest customers will be obliged to take on a new customer. They're not gonna force a customer to move over to Honda.

FW17

diffuser wrote:
Mclaren would want exclusivity for marketing and competitive reasons. While a Sauber and Manor does not pose any threat to Mclaren competitively, It does not look good for marketing when you share an engine with a backmarker team.

While works team don't care/worry about this, it will make it harder for privateer teams to claim the exclusivity. This is very important to Mclaren.

a1b2i3r45

"From an engine power point of view, we have some target numbers, which are estimated from Mercedes and Ferrari. Our target is to catch them up in 2017, reach the same level as now, but it's difficult to know how much they will gain." - Yusuke Hasegawa.
Again, low target; well, that's depressing.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... 6--renault

Craigy

a1b2i3r45 wrote:"From an engine power point of view, we have some target numbers, which are estimated from Mercedes and Ferrari. Our target is to catch them up in 2017, reach the same level as now, but it's difficult to know how much they will gain." - Yusuke Hasegawa.
Again, low target; well, that's depressing.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... 6--renault
Even if the target for Honda in the 2017 F1 season is to reach the state Mercedes and Ferrari got to at the end of the 2016 season, I don't know what purpose it serves to say so, unless he's bluffing.

Perhaps I'm just interpreting the translation poorly.

If I do have the correct interpretation, then I'd also opine this: Honda don't historically have PR department that plays mindgames, it's not really in their ethos... so I too find the above link rather depressing.

Wazari

Perhaps a clearer interpretation, "We have target numbers based on engine power estimates from Mercedes and Ferrari. Our goal is to be even with them at the start of 2017, be at the level where they are currently, although it is difficult to gauge their gains up to now...."

That's the goal, to be even with Mercedes and Ferrari in terms of power and efficiency at season' start.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

swifteddie1

Wazari wrote:
That's the goal, to be even with Mercedes and Ferrari in terms of power and efficiency at season' start.
Hi Wazari. I find it interesting that you made no mention of Renault - can we take it to mean that Honda are fairly confident that they ended the 2016 season on par with Renault and as such Merc/Ferrari are the targets to aim for? Also is the power unit improvement from 2016 to 2017 by Merc/Ferrari anticipated to be bigger than the step they took from 2015 to 2016? Just very curious how they come up with such estimates/goals.