Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
mrluke

Re: Honda Power Unit

swifteddie1 wrote:
Wazari wrote:
That's the goal, to be even with Mercedes and Ferrari in terms of power and efficiency at season' start.
Hi Wazari. I find it interesting that you made no mention of Renault - can we take it to mean that Honda are fairly confident that they ended the 2016 season on par with Renault and as such Merc/Ferrari are the targets to aim for? Also is the power unit improvement from 2016 to 2017 by Merc/Ferrari anticipated to be bigger than the step they took from 2015 to 2016? Just very curious how they come up with such estimates/goals.
Wazari has previously stated that the difference to Renault is plus or minus single figures.

GoranF1

Wazari wrote:Perhaps a clearer interpretation, "We have target numbers based on engine power estimates from Mercedes and Ferrari. Our goal is to be even with them at the start of 2017, be at the level where they are currently, although it is difficult to gauge their gains up to now...."

That's the goal, to be even with Mercedes and Ferrari in terms of power and efficiency at season' start.
I think Hasegawa means Honda in 2017 AUS Gp will be at the level of Merc&Ferrari in 2016 AD Gp
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

PlatinumZealot

This information is not important i think. Honda has a goal in mind and when they hit the track it can go three ways. Blow par, par and above par.
What i would feel good about is the level of technology in their engine. Honda admitedly were'nt using the same combustion tricks as the others but they were not far off. If they can just get whatever latest technology then i have nothing to worry about. Honda will finish the job of optimizations and develop thru the season . They have one of the biggest engine test facilites in the world. Just need the people and technology in place.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

GoranF1 wrote:
Wazari wrote:Perhaps a clearer interpretation, "We have target numbers based on engine power estimates from Mercedes and Ferrari. Our goal is to be even with them at the start of 2017, be at the level where they are currently, although it is difficult to gauge their gains up to now...."

I think Hasegawa means Honda in 2017 AUS Gp will be at the level of Merc&Ferrari in 2016 AD Gp
That would be a terrible goal, it's basically stating that their goal is to remain a year behind. I doubt they're going to allow that to happen. In fact I'm pretty sure that the 2017 power unit in a 2016 chassis could have beaten Ferrari in 2016.
Saishū kōnā

Wazari

Quite simple:
Power delta to Ferrari 4.5%, Mercedes 4%, estimated power gains by each 2%, then goal for 2017 is at least 6.5% in peak power. Fuel efficiency delta to Renault 9%, Mercedes 7.5%, Ferrari 6%, estimated efficiency gains 1% by each, then goal for 2017 is at least 10% increase in fuel efficiency. No need to set goals that are going to be off the top PU going into the new season.
(Strictly hypothetical numbers of course.)
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

diffuser

This is not a real credible source here ...https://thejudge13.com/2017/01/18/saube ... s-in-2018/
They also got many facts wrong but they are saying Honda to power Sauber in 2018.

This quote "Honda’s Yusuke Hasegawa has told the English Autosport Magazin that they want confirmation by Sauber no later as the Monaco GP, in order to deal with the necessary logistics to supply two teams." is strange in that I don't see it from anywhere else.

Craigy

diffuser wrote:This is not a real credible source here ...https://thejudge13.com/2017/01/18/saube ... s-in-2018/
They also got many facts wrong but they are saying Honda to power Sauber in 2018.

This quote "Honda’s Yusuke Hasegawa has told the English Autosport Magazin that they want confirmation by Sauber no later as the Monaco GP, in order to deal with the necessary logistics to supply two teams." is strange in that I don't see it from anywhere else.
That site is useless. TJ13 is just a rumour site.

fellowhoodlums

Wazari wrote:Quite simple:
Power delta to Ferrari 4.5%, Mercedes 4%, estimated power gains by each 2%, then goal for 2017 is at least 6.5% in peak power. Fuel efficiency delta to Renault 9%, Mercedes 7.5%, Ferrari 6%, estimated efficiency gains 1% by each, then goal for 2017 is at least 10% increase in fuel efficiency. No need to set goals that are going to be off the top PU going into the new season.
10% increase in fuel efficiency......that's a huge ask.

Thunder

That's why he said:
;)
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

bauc

diffuser wrote:This is not a real credible source here ...https://thejudge13.com/2017/01/18/saube ... s-in-2018/

It was a general interview about 3-4 months ago on SkySports (I think)regarding the possibility of supplying second team in 2018. Back then they said it would be best to have confirmation by Monaco GP (2017) so they can prepare well in terms of staff, logistics ect in order to support a second team in F1, but the name Sauber was never mentioned - so now this ''source'' is just playing with words in order to make it look credible - that is all
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

HPD

The new is from 17/01/2017
Rennleiter Yusuke Hasegawa äußerte gegenüber dem britischen Autosport-Magazin, dass man bis spätestens zum GP Monaco eine Zusage brauche, um die Logistik für die Belieferung von zwei Teams zu gewährleisten.
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 48073.html

kasio

Thunders wrote:That's why he said:
;)
Even thought its hypothetical i think that Mercedes and Ferrari will have bigger rise than 2015/2016 percent wise on power and economy. I think everybody was affected by token system - not only those who admitted that.

mclaren111

kasio wrote:
;)
Even thought its hypothetical i think that Mercedes and Ferrari will have bigger rise than 2015/2016 percent wise on power and economy. I think everybody was affected by token system - not only those who admitted that.
Don't you think Merc has reached / are close to the point of diminishing returns ??

kasio

mclaren111 wrote:
kasio wrote:

;)
Don't you think Merc has reached / are close to the point of diminishing returns ??
no. i do not know how to explain but with token system you had to fix all problems locally without changing other areas as that could require more tokens. now your can review and make it right from beginning.

Andres125sx

kasio wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:
kasio wrote: Even thought its hypothetical i think that Mercedes and Ferrari will have bigger rise than 2015/2016 percent wise on power and economy. I think everybody was affected by token system - not only those who admitted that.
no. i do not know how to explain but with token system you had to fix all problems locally without changing other areas as that could require more tokens. now your can review and make it right from beginning.
Exactly, but Mercedes did that around 2012-13, that´s the reason they enjoy best PU :wink: What you say is applicable to the rest tough, so what I´d expect is differences being reduced.... PU wise. Aero wise I expect even higher differences. What we saw in first half of 2009 could be easily repeated. Hopefully it is McHonda, but in my mind it´s RBR the best candidate, you probably know why