Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Honda Power Unit

garrett wrote:
19 Mar 2017, 21:12
(First off I am sorry if this was written before but i didn´t find it on the 450 pages)

Didn´t the Porsche 919 V4 suffer from terrible vibrations in the beginning of the project? They had to change the firing order and to redesign the crankshaft which took 16 weeks until it was finished. After the redesign, the vibrations were almost gone. As the Porsche also recuperates thermal exhaust energy via MGU-H, what if the Honda has a similar issue when two cylinders are cut off and the engine basically runs as a V4 off throttle to save fuel? Maybe the resulting vibrations of that process could produce the sudden strange sound we hear at 0:05 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfIa4z8A08A? Or is it just the wastegate that opens? :?:
The resulting car is powered by a 2-litre V4 engine, which has been extensively re-designed since it first hit the track in June, 2013. However, from the moment the car hit the track, a vibration issue with the V4 engine caused the interlinked suspension to break. A major redesign of the engine was commissioned early on, instigated by the Technical Director Alex Hitzinger. That engine, featuring a new crankshaft, was installed for the test in Portimao in which Mark Webber completed 600km.
This could be the counterweights or the balance shaft (assuming it has one). Note it said the interlinked suspension broke because of it. The article is not specific at all but i will go out on a limb and assume a hydraulic line or something broke. Which i more caused by large amplitude vibrations. All engines vibration can lessened by flywheels and balancers maybe the porsche V4 had too small a rotating inertia and the vibrations were not smoothened out. Very likely they increased the rotating inertia of the crankshaft.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Singabule

A V4 on racing engine usually twin 90 V2 with odd firing order, because smoothness is not necessary, as in F1. The redesigned engine can be translated to improper counter weight in 2 pistons, maybe underweight. Vibration problem in F1 engine more likely Come from combustion itself, hence i think aggresive cylinder cutting contribute in Honda vibration issue

toraabe

Split crankpins

Tommy Cookers

[quote=Singabule]
A V4 on racing engine usually twin 90 V2 with odd firing order......i think aggresive cylinder cutting contribute in Honda vibration issue[/quote]
I wonder .....
did the 919 have a 'usual V4'' 4 thow 4 pin crank, a 2 throw 2 pin 180 or 90? deg crank, or a Honda race bike 2 pin 0 deg style ?
was the V angle actually 90 deg ?

for both makers we might guess that torsional vibration (not translational vibration) was/is the problem

anthonyfa18

Here is a video that shows the new power unit

https://youtu.be/iJB16jGO4WI

Singabule

Tommy Cookers wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 11:23
Singabule wrote: A V4 on racing engine usually twin 90 V2 with odd firing order......i think aggresive cylinder cutting contribute in Honda vibration issue
I wonder .....
did the 919 have a 'usual V4'' 4 thow 4 pin crank, a 2 throw 2 pin 180 or 90? deg crank, or a Honda race bike 2 pin 0 deg style ?
was the V angle actually 90 deg ?

for both makers we might guess that torsional vibration (not translational vibration) was/is the problem
I guess it is like a motorcycle engine, 2 pin 0 degree. Look at their exhaust to turbo, not equal length one, in order to tune their pulse as seen in ducati. V4 is primary vibration free in nature, so i doubt they use a balance shaft to create even firing engine, too heavy. Sorry off topic

FW17

Mr.G wrote:
16 Mar 2017, 13:36

Looks like they checking a lot of temperatures inside the PU (I've counted ~18 pcs). Those blue connectors looks like for thermal probes data logger...

Why do they have a sensor (with blue wire) on the rear engine-gearbox connector flange? What can they possibly measure there?

They also have another one on top of the injector

Mr.G

FW17 wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 15:04
Mr.G wrote:
http://papermodelers.sk/download/imgpl. ... 2b50c01ce6

Looks like they checking a lot of temperatures inside the PU (I've counted ~18 pcs). Those blue connectors looks like for thermal probes data logger...

Why do they have a sensor (with blue wire) on the rear engine-gearbox connector flange? What can they possibly measure there?

On the flange it looks like vibrations sensor, on the cover its just wire taped which goes somewhere else.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

godlameroso

FW17 wrote:
Mr.G wrote:

Does Honda have the coil pack and injector in the same assembly, or is the injector poking inside the combustion chamber at an angle?
Saishū kōnā

FW17

godlameroso wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 15:34
FW17 wrote:
Mr.G wrote:

Does Honda have the coil pack and injector in the same assembly, or is the injector poking inside the combustion chamber at an angle?
The spark cable seems to be adjacent to the injector, anyway both are expected to be above the cylinder head in the prechamber

FW17

3 other things

1) What is that big cylindrical structure above the last cylinder below the airbox

2) what is the CF duct running from behind the front bulk head to the V below the airbox

3) There is also a big connected from the last cylinder going to the heat exchanger area, What could that be for?

roon

FW17 wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 16:39

3 other things

1) What is that big cylindrical structure above the last cylinder below the airbox

2) what is the CF duct running from behind the front bulk head to the V below the airbox

3) There is also a big connected from the last cylinder going to the heat exchanger area, What could that be for?
1. Temporary handle attached to transmission mounting stud
2. Electrical junction box
3. If you meant the flange with a purple clamp on it, that would be a water line. If so, why do you call this the "last cylinder?" It's forward-most.

FW17

roon wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 18:23
1. Temporary handle attached to transmission mounting stud
2. Electrical junction box
3. Presumably an oil system line, as it's ported into the valve cover
1) Dont think it is a handle; there is a much larger metallic object below the black sheathing.
2) Why electrical cabling need a CF trunking with sensors on it

roon

1. We're talking about different items, then. Add notations to the image, it would be more effective.
2. There are no sensors I can see on that CF body below the airbox. There will be electrical connectors ported to it. CF for the same reason its used elsewhere on an F1 car.

FW17