Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
r101

Re: Honda Power Unit

They used older chassis in first part of 1992, but I do not see how that can be relevant to today.

Craigy

17d versus 18. But back ontopic, please.

3jawchuck

harjan wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 21:36
godlameroso wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 19:24
McLaren often used to use last year's chassis because they were still developing the current model year chassis, sometimes introducing it 4 or 5 races into the season. McLaren get's a pass but not Honda? Ridiculous.
Could you specify which years they did this? I know of McLaren of introducing a b-spec chassis, of coming out with a dud of a car and improving it into a winner over the duration of a season. Also know them of coming with a car that was 2 sec quicker than any other car ('98).

But I can't recall McLaren ever using an older chassis.
Only time I can think of this happening in recent years is '92, they used the MP4/6 for the first few races of '93. In '03 they scrapped the use of the MP4/18 and reverted to an updated spec MP4/17, that's not really the same thing though.

Anyway, this is OT :D

HPD

Jef Patat wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 19:16
Something must have gone lost in translation.
The only thing we have is the original article, which is in Japanese. But you're right, the translation misinterprets many things.
@Muramasa brings good translations and this is what brings us (Thanks @muramasa)

In the final 2 days, it was a trouble caused by the car's vibration. Not the trouble in engine itself. Actual troubles are crack in carbon pipe in chassis side and harness detached.

Asked if it wouldn't have happened had engine vibration gone, I cannot tell. The car vibrated by riding on kerbs, it's certain that it had influence. Suppose there is such weakness on chassis side, that is a worry for sure.

We exchanged engine several times in order to fix ancillaries. That's why they thought we broke 5 engines, but we haven't disclosed the number of engines used.

Regarding driveability, I think it has improved. It's something we can deal with on dyno at Sakura, so we have worked on it. However, we havent run it on track yet, so its actual effect is unknown as of today.

(there is no nuance and connection such as "work on engine mapping that should improve the vibration issues" in the original/Japanese article. It's purely about improving performance.)

https://jp.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-%E ... 84-885035/

godlameroso

It's definitely a double edged sword, on the one hand having Honda create every engine part in house is the more time consuming way to do it. However over the long run it's the best way to do it.

It ensures the highest quality control, and the best technology possible. The downside is having to discover what works, which is difficult when there are more wrong answers than right ones.

Now we see how well Honda can evolve their concept.
Saishū kōnā

Craigy

Honda are hiring in Milton Keynes. All the positions are permanent (rather than fixed contract, which in the UK are limited to 2 years in law).

A small selection of them: (most of the jobs are Energy store related, and most state that the first 6-9 months will be based in Woking, moving to MK thereafter).
http://www.gahl.co.uk/vacancies.aspx?id=17

Senior Design Engineer (Mechanical Composite) - Formula 1
Honda Racing Development (Formula 1) are seeking a Senior Design Engineer (Mechanical Composites) to join the business based in Milton Keynes. The role will be based in Woking for the first 6-9 months to support current ESS development and project ha...

Senior Design Engineer (Mechanical Composite) - Formula 1

Mechanical Design Team Leader
Honda Racing Development (Formula 1) are currently recruiting for an Mechanical Design Team Leader, to be based at their new site in Milton Keynes. The purpose of this role is to work within the Energy Storage System (ESS) development and production ...
Mechanical Design Team Leader

Reliability / Quality Engineer - Motorsport
Honda Racing Development (F1) based in Milton Keynes are recruiting for a Reliability/Quality Engineer. The purpose of this role is to work within the development and production teams, taking responsibility for proofing out the design concept in term...

Craigy

I found this article about Honda's previous (2008-09) F1 hybrid developments interesting, particularly the notes about developing too late, running out of testing time, and using novel mechanical solutions that were unreliable due to unexpected vibrations. Quite a lot of déjà vu...
www.racecar-engineering.com/articles/f1 ... id-f1-car/

mattia.bobbo

Sky reported loss of water pressure on Vandoorne engine after 2 laps of FP1.. Alonso still at the box and no running so far. Things are going from bad to sorse for Honda

SameSame

The TV new timing system with the loops every 200m really shows just how under powered the Honda is.

max_speed

SameSame wrote:
24 Mar 2017, 08:23
The TV new timing system with the loops every 200m really shows just how under powered the Honda is.
underpowered or running in mega conservative mode. we dnt know , quali will make picture clear. looks like Honda has made progress in terms of reliability at least in past few weeks.

daniellammers

ziggy wrote:
22 Mar 2017, 15:47
aral wrote:
22 Mar 2017, 15:33
harjan wrote:
22 Mar 2017, 15:06

EB states clearly what some of us have said for years- you can't build a competitive engine from Japan.
Well, he musnt know much about f1 history then! Honda seem to have managed pretty well before.
Well, I would say they can build a winning engine(PU), no doubt on that. Their problem is inovation. The Japanese are good in making things better, not so inovating them.

Sorry for OT.
Haven't read anything more stupid than this before...

E.G. Hybrids from Toyota
You won't catch me driving a race car that I have built.

- Colin Chapman

SameSame

max_speed wrote:
24 Mar 2017, 08:47
SameSame wrote:
underpowered or running in mega conservative mode. we dnt know , quali will make picture clear. looks like Honda has made progress in terms of reliability at least in past few weeks.
Hopefully the latter. I'm sure all other teams are running conservative too but the fact they have sorted the reliability to this degree is encouraging.

ziggy

daniellammers wrote:
24 Mar 2017, 08:51
ziggy wrote:
22 Mar 2017, 15:47
aral wrote:
22 Mar 2017, 15:33

Well, he musnt know much about f1 history then! Honda seem to have managed pretty well before.
Well, I would say they can build a winning engine(PU), no doubt on that. Their problem is inovation. The Japanese are good in making things better, not so inovating them.

Sorry for OT.
Haven't read anything more stupid than this before...

E.G. Hybrids from Toyota
I won't go further into that. I thought this is a technical thread about honda PU, not a political, demagogical soccer fan thread. Sorry again if I hurt someone.

I'm out.

Craigy

SameSame wrote:
The loops every 200m have been there for years, but only the teams had that data before (which is part of why they were so much better informed than anyone else in the past).

I've not seen any footage yet - has anyone done back to back comparisons of things like apex speeds versus corner exit speeds yet?

SameSame

Craigy wrote:
24 Mar 2017, 09:09
SameSame wrote:
The loops every 200m have been there for years, but only the teams had that data before (which is part of why they were so much better informed than anyone else in the past).

I've not seen any footage yet - has anyone done back to back comparisons of things like apex speeds versus corner exit speeds yet?
I know they have always been there, that's why I specifically said TV. It's great that Liberty has given us this additional information.

I don't think the resolution is fine enough for apex speeds.