Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Singabule

Re: Honda Power Unit

So, 6 kmh slower than merc even with limiter, not bad at all! Surely everybody still in safe mode, but look like their mapping solve majority problem so far. =D>

Jef Patat

No engine switch so far 8) =D>

Singabule

Jef Patat wrote:
24 Mar 2017, 10:37
No engine switch so far 8) =D>
And no way 5 engines expired in winter testing. And now honda will unleash its power step by step. :D

fellowhoodlums

Very limited number of laps.....tells it's own story

Andres125sx

fellowhoodlums wrote:
24 Mar 2017, 11:30
Very limited number of laps.....tells it's own story
What story? They´re slightly below average on FP1, and exactly on average on FP2 :roll:

Jef Patat

Well, to be fair. FA didn't really do a stint.

GoranF1

Honda prepares new PU in cca 2 months....and the reason upshift sound so strange is explained here...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... ne-885582/
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Jef Patat

Nice plan, but no way I believe those engines will hold that long, seeing is believing.

So less vibrations due to different point of gear switching. Not understanding how those vibrations are chassis related.

GoranF1

Jef Patat wrote:
24 Mar 2017, 14:04
Nice plan, but no way I believe those engines will hold that long, seeing is believing.

So less vibrations due to different point of gear switching. Not understanding how those vibrations are chassis related.
so that would be around Monaco or hopefuly Barca...

1. 26 Mar 2017 au GP Australia Albert Park
2. 9 Apr 2017 cn GP China Shanghai International Ciruit
3. 16 Apr 2017 bh GP Bahrain Bahrain International Circuit
4. 30 Apr 2017 ru GP Russia Sochi International Street Circuit
5. 14 May 2017 es GP Spain Circuit de Catalunya
6. 28 May 2017 mc GP Monaco Monte Carlo Circuit
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

PhillipM

Jef Patat wrote:
24 Mar 2017, 14:04
As was mentioned earlier in the thread, it'll be resonance in both the driveline and the engine exciting each other, not just one or the other - something that hasn't been seen until running the car on track with the new tyres.

restless

Sooo, it seems like major clusterf*** of management?
One team made the engine, obviously had some theoretical expectations about resonance characteristics of the engine
Other team made the gearbox, third made the connection in between.

And they never thought of at least comparing these values if they are not too close to each other?
Last edited by restless on 24 Mar 2017, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipM

Because it doesn't work like that, the system is bolted together as a whole, and it's all structural, so until you have the whole thing together and running properly you don't spot them, quite often they're avoided just from experience anyway, but if Honda truly are running a different firing order then you don't have that to rely on.
Combined with new geometery, wider, heavier tyres and much more loading....you suddenly have a big issue that's hard to nail to one single cause.
Add to that the engine only being finalised late on with limited dyno/mapping/running time...

Jef Patat

What I meant to say is that honda was 'blaiming' for weaknesses in the car (referring to things breaking causing the harness to get damaged. If I remember correctly kerbs were mentioned). By switching gears at a different point that can't get solved. Sure, in theory the engine + rest of the car could reach resonant frequencies but that's theory. Harmonics will change that fast in a driving car the energy can never accumulate like that. Quite sure the part that broke off will be fixed by now. The shifting can only be needed for the engine vibrating itself to death.

toraabe

GoranF1 wrote:
24 Mar 2017, 13:46
Honda prepares new PU in cca 2 months....and the reason upshift sound so strange is explained here...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... ne-885582/
Oscillations ? Mostly due to flexing driveshafts....
Gearbox

HPD

Listen when you change gears

(Watch before they block the video)