Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
dren

Re: Honda Power Unit

GoranF1 wrote:
26 Apr 2017, 18:43
dren wrote:
26 Apr 2017, 17:44
I heard Casterol is using a 50/50 blend of used 10w-30 and H2O for lubricants and fuel.
Casterol is not in F1.
Castrol. Sorry for the incorrect spelling, the rest is correct.
Honda!

63l8qrrfy6

dren wrote:
26 Apr 2017, 19:10
GoranF1 wrote:
26 Apr 2017, 18:43
dren wrote:
26 Apr 2017, 17:44
I heard Casterol is using a 50/50 blend of used 10w-30 and H2O for lubricants and fuel.
Casterol is not in F1.
Castrol. Sorry for the incorrect spelling, the rest is correct.
Don t worry, most of the users here are robots.The rest are F1 engineers.

godlameroso

Can confirm, robot here, my bearings only use Honda high temp urea grease.

Mmmmm green goup.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

ncassi22 wrote:
26 Apr 2017, 06:11
godlameroso wrote:
25 Apr 2017, 21:52
Better custom meshes for more accurate chamber modeling perhaps?
Some pretty cool insights about meshing. https://www.cfdengine.com/blog/what-next-for-cfd/

Mercedes F1 moving mesh CFD visualisation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FJMNzitpd0
Looks like some sort of thing "pouring" from the spark plug towards the exhaust.. Not sure what to make of it.

reposted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FJMNzitpd0

On the "Crap" BP fuel story. I think this one has legs...
It could be hurting Renault too.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ncassi22

godlameroso wrote:
26 Apr 2017, 04:46
I know that is one of the biggest KIVA limitations when it comes to valve angle and port design and turbulence modeling. Although I'm sure whatever they're using is far more advanced than that, and probably a custom program.
This job posting actually gives a good idea of what software they're using, although like you said they would certainly work very closely with the software engineers. Mostly DS or DS compatible software though from Ansys/Altair/AVL etc... although weirdly in another job posting they mentioned using Siemens LMS PLM software (I think because up until recently enovia from DS was not very good). Look under 'essentials'.

https://careers.mercedes-amg-hpp.com/va ... lysis.html

dren

godlameroso wrote:
26 Apr 2017, 21:52
Can confirm, robot here, my bearings only use Honda high temp urea grease.

http://www.howtodiyintegra.com/wp-cont ... 1-copy.jpg

Mmmmm green goup.
It's to reduce NOx creation in those robot bearings.
Honda!

63l8qrrfy6

ncassi22 wrote:
27 Apr 2017, 02:02
godlameroso wrote:
26 Apr 2017, 04:46
I know that is one of the biggest KIVA limitations when it comes to valve angle and port design and turbulence modeling. Although I'm sure whatever they're using is far more advanced than that, and probably a custom program.
This job posting actually gives a good idea of what software they're using, although like you said they would certainly work very closely with the software engineers. Mostly DS or DS compatible software though from Ansys/Altair/AVL etc... although weirdly in another job posting they mentioned using Siemens LMS PLM software (I think because up until recently enovia from DS was not very good). Look under 'essentials'.

https://careers.mercedes-amg-hpp.com/va ... lysis.html
I'm surprised they still use simpack - their simpack guy has gone to jaguar to lead the virtual proving ground group.
They use GT power for cycle simulation.

ENGINE TUNER

Is there a rule stopping Honda from bolting a current PU into an indycar or super formula or even an old McLaren chassis and running laps around motel or suzuka?

Redragon

This is just a big speculation from my part.
But could Honda actually playing unreliable and underpower to use the HONDA rule to have access to the other design and engines?

wuzak

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
27 Apr 2017, 03:34
Is there a rule stopping Honda from bolting a current PU into an indycar or super formula or even an old McLaren chassis and running laps around motel or suzuka?
No, I don't think so.

So long as it isn't an F1 car 2 years or younger and it isn't using current F1 tyres.

ENGINE TUNER

wuzak wrote:
27 Apr 2017, 04:34
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
27 Apr 2017, 03:34
No, I don't think so.

So long as it isn't an F1 car 2 years or younger and it isn't using current F1 tyres.
Then why wouldn't they do it? Not worth the money? Different tires making the data worthless?

Makes me think about if AMG were using the Stroll testing sessions to check out their latest PU iterations over the winter.

godlameroso

Probably wouldn't gain anything they can't gain running on their test equipment. I have a feeling the package is no longer in egg stage, it's now in hatchling stage.
Saishū kōnā

kaepernickus

wuzak wrote:
27 Apr 2017, 04:34
No, I don't think so.

Doesn't that "F1 car 2 years or younger" include the engine?
Otherwise (engine) testing wouldn't really be limited.

As far as I can tell no manufacturer currently (2017) involved isn't allowed to bolt it's current engine into any mule.

GhostF1

Redragon wrote:
27 Apr 2017, 03:42
This is just a big speculation from my part.
But could Honda actually playing unreliable and underpower to use the HONDA rule to have access to the other design and engines?
Reductio ad absurdum...

The damage to both brands, the diminished trust from fans, the ridicule endured from competitors... All at the hope they could get a glimpse at a rivals blueprints??? Apart from being completely unlike Honda, it's too uncertain a result for them to hang all that on it.
It's all speculation so far and Honda are a proud company, they would be hurting badly from all of this. I expect nothing but them to throw everything at it to fix it. They could never turn the other way now. It's been one of the most publicly embarrassing scenario's for a manufacturer in the last couple of years in sporting history, there really is no other option other than to just go all out.

Thunder

So they would be intentionally bad in hopes that somewhen someone has pity with them and writes a rule for them to get knowledge they could have gotten themselves fairly easy much earlier?

Yes, sounds legit.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum