Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Wazari

Re: Honda Power Unit

This new "spec" is not 3.0. That is still further down the road. Think more of spec 2.2, 2.5 that was in Alonso's car. As far as not running the current PU, it needs to be examined before further running. When the gearbox let go, it severely over-revved the PU so it should not be run this weekend without potential damage analysis.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

gdanielwesley

Wazari wrote:This new "spec" is not 3.0. That is still further down the road. Think more of spec 2.2, 2.5 that was in Alonso's car. As far as not running the current PU, it needs to be examined before further running. When the gearbox let go, it severely over-revved the PU so it should not be run this weekend without potential damage analysis.
I'd also assume that this would allow Honda to analyze the new spec engine for any potential reliability issues. And have a fine tuned engine mapping with the data collected so far for the next race.
Looks promising!!

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

damager21

Despite aggressive stance taken by McLaren and all bad mouthing in public about Honda, pleased to see Honda is still grounded and going about quietly getting its job done.

Hasegawa-sans quote following reflects that.
“It was disappointing that Fernando had to stop the car during FP2, and unfortunately for us it was before doing his timed lap, but we still saw certain progress with the power of the PU. Overall, I regard today as positive – we didn’t have any major issues with the new spec PU, and I feel that we’ve taken an encouraging step forward."

There were 3 instances this year when McLaren-Honda was in a position to score a point. First when Alonso had a suspension failure so McLaren to be blamed, Monaco when Vandoorne made a mistake and at Canada when Honda engine failed. So each party at some stage has had its share of mistakes yet all the bad press about Honda.

If Alonso's speed trap data is to go by, seems to be 7kph away from Kimi's top speed. Definitely encouraging and progress provided both got or did not get a tow.

I saw a lot of folks a week back wanting Honda to race their new engine this week to give it a try and learn something new even if it fails. Yesterday even before report came out, everyone trolled Honda to coming up with another unreliable engine.

Now that we know that it was a gearbox failure, people want Honda to race the new engine this race. So much contradictions in a span of one week and one day. I think Honda is in a best position to take their decision. End of the day there is a lot at stake for them and I am sure they are determined to turn around things as quickly as possible.

proteus

Honda is to blame for catastrophic performance of the Mclaren in last two and a half years. In 2014 the chasis of Mclaren was troublesome, far from being the best and jet the rocket propulsion of the Mercedes engine enabled them to be fifth in standings having a rookie driver, with little more luck they would be fourth.

In this last two and a half years Honda and some supporters are constantly mentioning steady progress. What steady progress? 2015 was such a disaster that finishing every race would be a progress, even if they would finish out of the points every time. 2016 was progressive for sure, but the amount of points collected was more due to the problems of top teams and their DNFs than Hondas power, but jet the Q3 apperances were showing the pace was there.

This season the story starts all over again. Underpowered engine which is fragile, thirsty and unreliable, allready they have penalties, and because of this penalties Mclaren is practicly knocked out from contending for the points. I am starting to dare to say that they wont score more points than they did in 2015.

Honda completely missed the mark jet again and if they introduced the outside help, they did it far too late.

Their peak power may not be so bad, but everything else is far from what it should be.
Last edited by Steven on 24 Jun 2017, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quoted post just above
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

godlameroso

The season isn't even half way over. Enjoy the battle at the front while it lasts, McLaren's season starts in Silverstone.
Saishū kōnā

McHonda

godlameroso wrote:
24 Jun 2017, 12:58
The season isn't even half way over. Enjoy the battle at the front while it lasts, McLaren's season starts in Silverstone.
Next step (3.0) doesn't come until Spa according to Albert Fabrega. Better news is there was no damage from the over revs on the update yesterday so it will be used in Austria.

NL_Fer

Honda 2017 is a disaster, but i try to keep a relative look at the engine performance.

2016 Renault & Honda were better than 2015 Ferrari (in the back of the Torro Rosso)
2015 Ferrari matched 2015 Mercedes on some races that year

So Honda and Renault 2017 must be better than all the other 2016 engines, but Mercedes and Ferrari kept improving. They must be able to keep up some day right, law of deminishing returns?

PhillipM

Pity they didn't have another new spec engine so they could take one back for analysis and slap the other in alonso's car, there's no point worrying about penalties at the minute when you're being spanked by Sauber.

HPD

translated by @Rudex
Hasegawa:

- "It is definitely getting better with the same level of update as the spec 2 that I got in Barcelona, ​​but it has not reached the level that it will still catch up with rivals."
However, there is still room for development in this engine, and this update is on its way.
- "I wanted to put it in as early as even one ICE in one race," he said. Honda has decided to introduce a new ICE to the Azerbaijan GP even if only one is used.
- This ICE is not only "Combustion efficiency improved and horsepower is rising" (general manager Hasegawa). Measures that are also credible are being applied.

from journalist:

- As a result of investigating Alonso's engine blown at the Canadian Grand Prix, it turned out to be a manufacturing problem rather than a specification issue. Honda suspended the use of the problematic part and decided not to use it for the ICE already used.
- However, at the second free practice Friday, a gearbox problem occurred in Alonso's machine. The spec 3 which was instantaneously installed in the machine of Alonso fell into an overrev state.
- For this reason, Honda is likely to take care of this specification 3 in the future to investigate whether it can be used for racing, it is likely to fight back to spec 2 again on Saturday in Azerbaijani GP.
- Development is steadily progressing, but it seems that it will take some more time before McLaren · Honda gets the result.

http://f1sokuho.mopita.com/pc/free/inde ... 0418&tt=-1

PlatinumZealot

PhillipM wrote:
24 Jun 2017, 13:20
Pity they didn't have another new spec engine so they could take one back for analysis and slap the other in alonso's car, there's no point worrying about penalties at the minute when you're being spanked by Sauber.
Yeah should have had another one to rub the race with and get the bonus of analysisng an engine that did the whole race.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Del Boy

Wazari wrote:
24 Jun 2017, 07:10
This new "spec" is not 3.0. That is still further down the road. Think more of spec 2.2, 2.5 that was in Alonso's car. As far as not running the current PU, it needs to be examined before further running. When the gearbox let go, it severely over-revved the PU so it should not be run this weekend without potential damage analysis.
Severely over-revved? Not according to my source!

godlameroso

Does valve float happen with pneumatic vavetrains?
Saishū kōnā

toraabe

Piston speed.....

HPD

Good news!
Hasegawa:

- “With the internal combustion engine upgrade, we focused on the power,” Honda boss Yusuke Hasegawa told Motorsport.com.
- “Normally we don’t disclose how much power we have gained but in this circuit, the gain is more than two or three tenths with the new engine.
- “From a reliability point of view, we didn’t have an ICE issue, so we can now concentrate on performance and power.”
Hasegawa added that the on-track improvement matched the data predicted by Honda's dynos back at base at Sakura and though he was pleased with the step, he conceded there was plenty still to do.
- “We don’t see the actual laptime gain in here, but from the power measuring sensor on the car, we saw the same difference from the dyno,” he said.
- “We are pleased we could bring a performance update here. But although the upgrade is reasonable, it is still not good enough to catch the other engine manufacturers.
- “We need to accelerate the direction for the next update.”
Alonso said it was difficult to assess if there has been an improvement given the programme they ran and though the data showed a gain, he stressed it wasn’t enough.
- “It’s difficult to say because we came from Canada and obviously you get here with race preparation in FP1 so we didn’t use the normal programme of fuel load, the normal programme of deployment, DRS,” he said.
- “We were not using all these things as we were just in race preparation.
- “We trust the data and if the data says the engine is delivering a bit more power, it’s welcome, but obviously the deficit is still quite big so we need to keep moving in that direction.”

Alonso is expected to run the ‘spec 3’ engine at the next race in Austria.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... hs-922976/

godlameroso

toraabe wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 13:41
Piston speed.....
Aside from weak rods I still don't see how one overrev would damage the bottom end.
Saishū kōnā