Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
GoranF1

Re: Honda Power Unit

Austin or Mexico for update..... :D :D :D
LOL....better get it at winter test 2018
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

etusch

GoranF1 wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 21:52
Austin or Mexico for update..... :D :D :D
LOL....better get it at winter test 2018
What?

PlatinumZealot

Japanese are known for great bearing technologies. It's ironic Honda has succumbed to so many bearing issues over this year alone. Premature wear of the MGUH bearings was the last issue. Could be improper bearing selection more than a design fault in the housing. They simply changed the bearings out to better ones.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Macklaren

PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 22:44
Japanese are known for great bearing technologies. It's ironic Honda has succumbed to so many bearing issues over this year alone. Premature wear of the MGUH bearings was the last issue. Could be improper bearing selection more than a design fault in the housing. They simply changed the bearings out to better ones.
could also be that they are pushing the envelope like its never been pushed before!

makecry

Macklaren wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 23:23
PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 22:44
could also be that they are pushing the envelope like its never been pushed before!
I would agree with that if it was like the indycar engine which is fast and before they found out the solution had reliability issues because of "pushing the envelope". In the F1 PU, however, it's neither fast nor reliable so I dont get pushing the envelope argument at all.

GhostF1

I think we are just seeing solid incremental improvements with the new spec PU. Hasegawa said they are making progress with the mapping in the new engine with each outing and each GP. So every little bit helps. They're showing good pace at Silverstone, I thought they'd struggle pretty badly.

damager21

GhostF1 wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 00:55
I think we are just seeing solid incremental improvements with the new spec PU. Hasegawa said they are making progress with the mapping in the new engine with each outing and each GP. So every little bit helps. They're showing good pace at Silverstone, I thought they'd struggle pretty badly.
It will be interesting to see if both Alonso and Vandoorne are required to save fuel during the race. As per Wazari-sans comments, spec 3 is more about improvement in combustion efficiency rather than increase in peak output.

If drivers don't need to save fuel like before, I expect a good race for both else they will very quickly fall behind. So key things to watch out today
1. Reliability of engine and specifically MGU-H
2. Fuel saving

If above 2 are good, expect some points for McLaren at Silverstone which will be pretty sweet at their home GP. Points at Silverstone and Hungary will be great for the team before summer break. WIll keep enough boost for Honda to push like crazy for their next update

63l8qrrfy6

No power

Joseki

Usual reliability update called for PR reasons that brings nothing.
I saw no smoke coming out of the engine, so it's presumably the MGU-H again.
I'm seriously thinking that doing something so wrong for so long is probably more difficult than doing it on purpose.

GhostF1

Joseki wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 15:02
Usual reliability update called for PR reasons that brings nothing.
I saw no smoke coming out of the engine, so it's presumably the MGU-H again.
I'm seriously thinking that doing something so wrong for so long is probably more difficult than doing it on purpose.
Not entirely surprised. It was an old unit with a "fix" applied to it that apparently didn't cause penalty... It stunk of issues from the get go.

Oonnnn

I heard Crofty said it's a loss in fuel pressure. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Marti_EF3

Fuel pump issue. It's a Honda failure? Or Mclaren?

HPD

Alonso: "The petrol pump is the official version, it made us lose power" (Movistar)
Much better the consumption in this race, this is a step forward

etusch

one step forward more and they are 4th fastest as they were last years end. Not in terms of point but in terms of pace..

drunkf1fan

etusch wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 16:19
one step forward more and they are 4th fastest as they were last years end. Not in terms of point but in terms of pace..
4th fastest, despite Renault, RBR, Mercedes and Ferrari all being ahead here, it was one race and they need a massive step. 4th fastest with a car that fails to finish every other race isn't 4th fastest. You're 4th fastest when you can finish the year as 4th fastest car, not when average over a season is 7th fastest because you are 4th in some races and dead last in others because you can't finish. Silverstone probably has more time on throttle in corners than most rather than all on straights so Silverstone isn't nearly as bad as people think it is for Mclaren/Honda.

Honda have 2-3 steps on performance and 10 steps to make on reliability before they can consider being the 4th fastest car.
Last edited by drunkf1fan on 16 Jul 2017, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.