Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Andres125sx

Re: Honda Power Unit

Singabule wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 03:46
In pirelli testing, teams are not allowed to introduce New parts, chasis, aero, and engine is frozen. They are allowed to use spec that is already introduced in race, all of parts. It means they can use spec 2 and 3 engine and bunch of aeros and suspension that is already introduced in past. Aero Rakes and flowviz is banned too, but setting and mapping is free
That´s interesting thanks. Taking into account Honda said they´re going to continue improving on next races due to mapping development with same hardware, I think this Pirelli tests are also Honda tests for different mappings too :D

Craigy

252 laps from one driver and one car is impressive, but we don't know yet if it was the same PU the whole time (does anyone know this?)

Magny Cours is 4412m, so over the two days/252 laps of the tyre test, the car has covered around 1111km.
That's more than 25% of the distance Honda have covered with both cars so far this season in races.

bauc

Honda to stick with current power unit concept next year

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/201 ... cial_GC_FB
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

adrianjordan

Craigy wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 17:13
252 laps from one driver and one car is impressive, but we don't know yet if it was the same PU the whole time (does anyone know this?)

Magny Cours is 4412m, so over the two days/252 laps of the tyre test, the car has covered around 1111km.
That's more than 25% of the distance Honda have covered with both cars so far this season in races.
I think we'd have heard if they had to swap the PU due to the amount of time the car would have been in the garage for the swap.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

damager21
damager21

adrianjordan wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 18:47
Craigy wrote:

I think we'd have heard if they had to swap the PU due to the amount of time the car would have been in the garage for the swap.
Not really, they could have swapped the PU last night and started today's running with a fresh engine

GoranF1
GoranF1

bauc wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 18:16
Honda to stick with current power unit concept next year

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/201 ... cial_GC_FB
You always stick whit good things.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Craigy

adrianjordan wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 18:47
Craigy wrote:

It was over two days. Could easily have had a change overnight.

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

At least they'll get a chance to pull engine apart and see if there is any reliability issues needing addressed before next GP

HPD

Sorry for commenting the same But I have a better translation thanks to @hasika.
Hasegawa: "With the Spec 3 PU,the power gap now is near to last season."
This confirms that we are at the same level as last year. And that the Sauber PU is still better. (At least peak power)

godlameroso

HPD wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 20:21
Sorry for commenting the same But I have a better translation thanks to @hasika.
This confirms that we are at the same level as last year. And that the Sauber PU is still better. (At least peak power)
The power gap now to 2017 Mercedes is near where their 2016 PU was in relation to the 2016 Mercedes PU. In other words the gap is no longer measured in planetary distances, but grand canyon scale. By the end of year, the gap will be Kat Williams vs Shaq. Progress!
Saishū kōnā

Singabule
Singabule

HPD wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 20:21
Sounds good, and they still have half season to improve and maturing their concept. Vibration problem solved, wiring loom solved, drivability solved, bearing issue nearly solved. It is the time to torture their engine and improve CC

Craigy

Singabule wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 04:15
Sounds good, and they still have half season to improve and maturing their concept.
If it's not already been designed, you're unlikely to see any new development bits this season.

I think people on here tend to underestimate the amount of time/work needed to bring developments to these PUs through manufacturing and testing.

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

bill shoe
bill shoe

bill shoe wrote:
16 Mar 2017, 03:01
Long shot but a possibility, and at any rate something to think about...

Crank dynamics can be affected by driveline resonances (driveline is shafts, gears, etc. downstream of engine). The driveline in an F1 car (mostly the transmission) will have its various vibration modes. An engine dyno will have a different driveline (coupling shaft) with different vibration modes. I've seen cases in production engines where different dynos will yield radically different crank torsional vibrations. At first nobody believes the dynos could cause the difference. Eventually, when all other possibilities are eliminated, it is determined that both dynos are accurate, but the different coupling shafts between engine and dyno have different resonant freqs due to different lengths, diameters, etc. If one shaft hits an engine resonance it goes bad quickly. Same engine was silky smooth on a different dyno (different coupling shaft).
Not a long-shot anymore. Hasegawa-san confirms this problem in Honda's Mea Culpa. #-o See link in post above or link here-http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... 7-troubles

damager21
damager21

How does FIA verify if Spec 1 or 2 or 3 engine was used by Honda at this test? Unless its a visual change, could Honda have tested a spec 4 engine in this test without getting caught?