fuel for the new engines

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
lebesset

Re: fuel for the new engines

new fuel from Total for spain ....presumably an improvement for red bull!
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

PlatinumZealot

Yeah.

People usually mistake the upgraded fuels for "adding power." They allow you to use more power, at more of the rev range, and for longer part of the life span of the engine.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

lebesset

to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Crucial_Xtreme

Fuelling The F1 Fight

There's a fuel war going on in 2014. Here's a good article from AutoSport all about it. It's a good read.

via AutoSport

strad

Re: Fuelling The F1 Fight

Once again I ask those that say otherwise to show me where F1, as it claims, runs fuel that is basically the same as you can get from your local pump. :roll:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Kiril Varbanov

strad wrote:Once again I ask those that say otherwise to show me where F1, as it claims, runs fuel that is basically the same as you can get from your local pump. :roll:
Judge for yourself; Article 19: http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/ ... 1-23_0.pdf

The meaningful snippet:
19.1.2 The detailed requirements of this Article are intended to ensure the use of fuels that are
composed of compounds normally found in commercial fuels and to prohibit the use of
specific power-boosting chemical compounds.
Still, there has to be room for development. Still, the media are over-ecstatic sometimes. The 40+ HP delivered from new fuel that you read on Twitter from pseudo-media are, well, wishful thinking for your favorite team progress.

Tommy Cookers

Kiril Varbanov wrote: ......19.1.2 The detailed requirements of this Article are intended to ensure the use of fuels that are composed of compounds normally found in commercial fuels and to prohibit the use of specific power-boosting chemical compounds. .....
we have another thread 'fuel for the new engines'
in some footage linked there Shell seems to be saying that their fuel has 1% of a constituent not normally found in road fuel

maybe the Mr Moderator would like to merge these 2 similar threads ?

flyboy2160

The 2014 fueling threads have been merged.

gruntguru

It is aparrent that partnering with the right petrochemical company can be a major factor in success on the racetrack. Is there a case for mandating a control fuel for the series?
je suis charlie

MOWOG

It all depends on what you want F1 to be. It already has spec tires and spec electronics, so why not spec fuel? :?:

In my mind, the sport has already gone too far down the road toward uniform specifications which inhibit creative thinking but I know others disagree. So let me ask you this:

If there is to be spec fuel and spec tires, shouldn't there also be spec engines? How about spec transmissions, turbos, ERS, etc? Or spec drivers? :wtf: And hey, if we are going to go that far, why not eliminate those pesky drivers all together and let Google sort it all out with a fleet of autonomous cars on track?

OK, that last may be hyberbole. :P My point is, when one team or one driver runs away with the championship, we all yak about changing the rules to make the racing closer. When the racing gets closer, we all yak about how the rules prevent innovation.

So before we start introducing spec fuel, maybe the first question that needs to be answered is "What do you want Formula One to be?

That should take up several gig of server space! :lol:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

gruntguru

I am certainly not one of those who believe in spec everything! I would prefer the PU rules to be much freer than they currently are.

For me, the grey area begins when bought-in consumables (fuel, tyres etc) begin to have a major effect on results. We all want F1 to be a competion of drivers and racecar designers.

A "spec" fuel would be the extreme end of a spectrum. How about restricting teams to commercially, widely available fuels? This would still allow the petro companies to design better fuels for this type of powerplant as well as produce an immediate flow-on to the marketplace.
je suis charlie

langwadt

gruntguru wrote:I am certainly not one of those who believe in spec everything! I would prefer the PU rules to be much freer than they currently are.

For me, the grey area begins when bought-in consumables (fuel, tyres etc) begin to have a major effect on results. We all want F1 to be a competion of drivers and racecar designers.

A "spec" fuel would be the extreme end of a spectrum. How about restricting teams to commercially, widely available fuels? This would still allow the petro companies to design better fuels for this type of powerplant as well as produce an immediate flow-on to the marketplace.
then where do you stop? how many things should be limited to commercially, widely available? brakes, gear box, pistons, camshafts, manifolds, turbos, coolers, steering wheel, wings?

gruntguru

None of the items you mention are consumables.
je suis charlie

langwadt

gruntguru wrote:None of the items you mention are consumables.
that depends on your definition of consumables, some of them are only used for one race, others would be if the rules
allowed it

gruntguru

Now you are talking about "component lifeing". Every part of the car has a finite life expectancy under racing conditions.

My definition of consumables would be items that are consumed or depleted during the race. Fuel, tyres, brake linings etc.
je suis charlie