Locked or spool differentials

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Wayne BBell

Locked or spool differentials

Why is it not mandated for all cars to have a Spool or Locked Differential?
I can only think of one down side, it does not reflect current road car technology but in my opinion the positives are in the show; The cars would drive sideways more often especially at the starts, it would require greater throttle control, the cars would be more difficult to drive, harder to turn in to the corner going a little to deep or getting on the power to early or to hard would have more consequences i.e. more passing, transition from brake to throttle would be more difficult demanding better throttle control
Other positives would be much lower cost, less hydraulics, cooler oil, more reliable
Why would the teams not want this

WBB

Facts Only

Re: Locked or spool differentials

For me a functioning differential is one of the basic tenants of pretty much every piston engined car, road or racing. Along with the engine, Gearboox, suspension, wheels, seats, steering wheel, pedals.
If you just want to make the cars harder to drive it could be achieved in a much simpler fashion, make the drivers where wooly gloves and clown shoes, I've driven a car with a locked diff on track, in the dry it was good fun, in the wet it was genuinely dangerous and frightening.
Last edited by Facts Only on 22 Feb 2015, 00:34, edited 1 time in total.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Just_a_fan

The simple reason is that F1 cars are not horse drawn carts...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

wuzak

V8Supercars use a locked diff. But I doubt that it adds much to the track action.

Cold Fussion

Why are locked differentials still called differentials when they no longer perform the role of a differential?

Wayne BBell

for something outwardly as simple as the operation of the differential or as some say not differentiating the it is a reflection of where you believe the formula should be on the scale 0-100% driver aid,0-100% active suspension, and possibly adjustable aero and the ever grey area of cost controls.

The only reason the formula spends lets say a $?million to develop smart differentials over a couple of seasons nt to mention the ongoing build complexity that has to be maintained, is to gain an advantage, then after several evolutions the governing body steps in and brings in rules to limit the spend to level the playing field the result is everyone has an expensive bit of kit but know advantage over other teams

thankyou for the interest
wbb

Cold Fussion

If you were to enforce a spool, then F1 would just redirect millions into suspension/chassis design to have the inside rear wheel lift in a controlled manner. It would be a lot cheaper in my view to have a differential to act a differential rather than designing the suspension and chassis to behave like like a differential.

Wayne BBell

Thanks Cold Fussion I think you may be correct

riff_raff

An adjustable diff is a very cost effective way to improve performance. Using a crude spool or locked rear axle would not be good for F1 racing. Rather than mandating a spool or locked drive axle, why not require use of a standard adjustable diff design?
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

gambler

I'd be for an open rule diff, completely mechanical, with no electronic devices. Its an area I think only the most brilliant driver and chassis team could capitolize on, and I think that"s what racing is all about. A stuck throttle and a spool is for what one would say is the unthinkable to happen.

PlatinumZealot

gambler wrote:I'd be for an open rule diff, completely mechanical, with no electronic devices. Its an area I think only the most brilliant driver and chassis team could capitolize on, and I think that"s what racing is all about. A stuck throttle and a spool is for what one would say is the unthinkable to happen.
Completely Mechanical you say? You can have an array of hydraulic plungers in the cockpit that connect to the clutches in the differential using a hydraulic line. You move the lever in the cockpit to adjust the pressure on the differential clutches and hence your locking percentage.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

autogyro

Locking diffs simply prevent wheel spin on the side that is lightly loaded and allow more torque to go to the wheel with higher loading.
They solve little on an F1 chassis where loads are not very different from one side to the other.
An open diff is fine.
It is diff designs that bias toque from one side to the other that have electronic control and achieve handling benefits.
Some form of diff control is almost essential with the sequential electronic shifting lay shaft gearboxes used.
Without such control over torque delivery (mainly during down shifts) the driver would be unable to control the cars rear end on corner entry.

gambler

I don't know about the air/hydro manipulation. I think a self contained mechanical unit would suffice, but it would be a benefit to have an adjustment port for the crew to either tighten or loosen depending on the weather or tire compound.

BanMeToo

Can someone describe how V8 supercars get away so well with a locked diff? Is it basically what Cold Fussion said about tuning suspension & chassis around it?

PlatinumZealot

gambler wrote:I don't know about the air/hydro manipulation. I think a self contained mechanical unit would suffice, but it would be a benefit to have an adjustment port for the crew to either tighten or loosen depending on the weather or tire compound.
Yeah that would work but you would be limited to one (or two?) settings.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™