Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
godlameroso

Re: Ferrari Power Unit

seezung wrote:Ferrari evaluating radical 'double anchor' injector idea
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... ea-879930/
Double anchor? Strange words, perhaps they meant dual stage?
Saishū kōnā

BosF1
BosF1

godlameroso wrote:
Wouldn't double stage be the TJI?

godlameroso

I meant dual stage as in spray pattern.
Saishū kōnā

aleks_ader

Dual stage yes. Ok right.

1. But i m wondering what it is so difficult or different that normal needle variable common rail injector cannot achieve?

2. And i believe Ferrari already use TJI system from 15 onwards.
ps. Sure that is my only personal opinion. I think it is natural step to go if you had Mahle as partner and also money is there. Even if we put compounding into mix, efficacy of the ICE is still important. Or even more crucial for better per lap (especially heat part) compounding. Bigger MJ spend into HIGH octane exhaust charging. Just another tool in mapping arsenal for the engineers.

3. So i m speculating: This dual pattern injector combined with TJI "chamber nozzle" provide some sort flame front aka "jets" direction control from chamber holes. So some kind "flame-front" spray pattern in reverse as we are used to normal fuel spray in the DI engines. So anybody could provide more insightful educated guess if is my "thinking" in right direction.

In F1 terms where ICE had quite narrow RPM window is such phenomena even necessary?
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Brian Coat
Brian Coat

I could be wrong (again) but ...

I interpret 'double anchor' as two anchor injections, for example Pilot1;Pilot2;MAIN;Anchor1;Anchor2

EDIT: Or as others suggest, could be a reference to "anchor" component(s) in their injector.

Assuming the whole story is not pre-season chaff ...
Last edited by Brian Coat on 08 Mar 2017, 07:55, edited 1 time in total.

roon
roon

Spray pattern, perhaps. In reference to the maritime symbol. But as Brian Coat said, this could be more "pre-season chaff." Which may also this year include vortex exhausts, long Red Bulls, and short-block Honda engines.

Only one injector per cylinder permitted, remember. So this would effectively be a reference to the injector or TJI nozzle shape.

Sure, Ferrari "evaluated" this idea. They evaluated it, found it was the worst out of several other iterations, and then released it to the press...

PlatinumZealot

They said the double anchor is more precise than current tech.

Hmm. It could mean that the injector has better closing and opening.

A double anchor is used to stop large ships.

So this double anchor injector means it has sharp shut off and opening characteristics. When the spray is only for a few milliseconds every fraction is even more important.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

nevill3

It also mentioned multi stage I think, so maybe that is where the double comes in. First movement opens a small aperture for the pre-ignition chamber charge, followed by further movement releases the remaining fuel charge into the main chamber.

Just a laymans non engineering interpretation, probably wide of the mark
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

ringo

It may be closing of the injector. How are the DI injectors activated in F1?
Possibly closing in this double anchor is very fast and there is little fuel wasted between the signal to close and actual closing.
For Sure!!

Drewd11
Drewd11

godlameroso wrote:
As you can see above, the Anchor is the moving part that, with the action of the solenoid, creates the high pressure fuel injection to the cylinder. Changing the nature of the fuel injection pattern, as shown in this patent from Caterpillar (https://www.google.com/patents/US6705278), can have benefits somewhat akin to using variable valve timing by using multiple anchors to control fuel injection profile; it is even possible with two anchors to have differing modes of injection based upon external conditions, though I'm not entirely sure of the legality of the kind of system in the patent above.

coco-bun
coco-bun

aleks_ader wrote:Dual stage yes. Ok right.
Glad I wasn't the only one that was confused :D .
aleks_ader wrote:
1. But i m wondering what it is so difficult or different that normal needle variable common rail injector cannot achieve?

3. So i m speculating: This dual pattern injector combined with TJI "chamber nozzle" provide some sort flame front aka "jets" direction control from chamber holes. So some kind "flame-front" spray pattern in reverse as we are used to normal fuel spray in the DI engines. So anybody could provide more insightful educated guess if is my "thinking" in right direction.

In F1 terms where ICE had quite narrow RPM window is such phenomena even necessary?
About a month ago, motorsport.com had an article speculating Honda could adopt a multi-jet injector system. Me not knowing what multi-jet system was, I googled for a bit and ran into a site explaining Fiat's MultiJet system.

From what I gather, MultiJet is used in diesel engines and aids combustion by having multiple injection operations in one cycle as shown in the graph below.

Image.
Apparently this technology started with just two injections per combustion cycle where a pilot injection increased the temperature and pressure inside the cylinder before the main injection. The result was less noise, higher efficiency, and more power. Sounds like something Ferrari might be interested if not already implemented.

I also asked in reddit (been a long time lurker of this forum, been intimidated to post here) where I compiled news sources and information there, but didn't get much more information.

Anyways, I have no idea if this is what they are after, but I thought it was interesting to see the similarity between these two and wanted to share.

gruntguru
gruntguru

So the "anchor" is what would commonly be called an armature.
Seems that double anchors might allow (in combination with double solenoids) two different lift settings. This would potentially allow two different spray patterns but more importantly - increase the dynamic range of the injector by allowing two different flow rates.

Dynamic range as mentioned previously, limits the resolution of the fuel delivery. As the fuel-per-cycle required for full power increases, the high flow injector required will operate at very short durations at light load and the uncertainty (due to variations in opening and closing rates) becomes an unacceptably large percentage of total fuel delivery. This is often resolved by using multiple injectors per cylinder with only one operating at light loads. Of course the rules only permit one injector per cylinder so perhaps the double anchor injector is two injectors in one?
je suis charlie

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

we have piezoelectric injection not stuff with solenoids

piezoelectric injectors and gasoline at 500 bar - they're able to design injection events in microsecond terms
the rules have always been written around this technology ie multiple injection events have always been expected
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 4&start=15

Vortex Motio
Vortex Motio

Seems motorsport.com has provided their English readers a heavily edited version of the original story:

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... ra-879915/

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

ringo

I guess the question is, can the injector have variable displacements ie hold at one displacement or the other as needed.
For Sure!!