Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Juzh

Re: Ferrari Power Unit

wuzak wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 23:08
Mudflap wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 20:05
kimi had ERS issues - maybe his PU's TE dropped as a consequence ?
He did?

That would also explain the poor pace. He still managed fastest lap, though.
It was solved for the race. They changed the mgu-h.

Sevach

Mudflap wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 20:05
kimi had ERS issues - maybe his PU's TE dropped as a consequence ?
He had issues during the race? He changed a couple of components before the race but i didn't hear a thing about the race itself.

roon

re: fastest lap, Kimi's car incurs less drag since they route some of the coolant lines through his seat to keep him at operating temperature. Downside is that the PU sometimes drops below optimal operating temperature, hence the problems seen.

63l8qrrfy6

my fault - i was under the impression it happened during the race.

godlameroso

Is this on every track or over a lap in China? Would have been helpful had they specified.
Saishū kōnā

Sevach

Almost 12%, that's quite a jump.

PlatinumZealot

What's the full throttle percent for china? And what is the time spent on braking? We can sorta fudge out how many kW on average the MGUH puts out.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ripper

PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Apr 2017, 19:07
What's the full throttle percent for china? And what is the time spent on braking? We can sorta fudge out how many kW on average the MGUH puts out.
This is what I found from Wintax Marelli simulation:
Il circuito di Shanghai è piuttosto impegnativo per il 6 cilindri turbo, perché si sta con il piede a tavoletta sul gas per il 74% del giro
74% full throttle per lap
Ers

Il sistema ibrido può valere un guadagno di 2”7 per giro e può valere un aumento di 12 km/h nella velocità massima. In Cina, la MGU-K in frenata dovrebbe recuperare fino a 638 kJ a tornata, mentre la MGU-H può recuperare fino a 3.652 KJ per giro (12% in più rispetto al 2016) per un totale di 4.290 KJ per giro.
Hybrid system can give 2"7 sec per lap and it is worth 12 km/h on top speed. In China MGU-K should recover up to 638 kJ per lap, while MGU-H can recover up to 3.652 KJ per lap (12% more than 2016) for a total of 4.290 KJ per lap

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/gp-de ... relli+cina

Jejking

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Could the moderator who disapproved my post actually READ what I said? I helped PZ with the numbers by quoting numbers from the McLaren website, which should be the same as ALL THE OTHERS. This is pissing me off..

The answer: 55% for 2016. 2017 is ought to be higher of course.

wuzak

ripper wrote:
08 Apr 2017, 20:41
PlatinumZealot wrote:
This is what I found from Wintax Marelli simulation:
Il circuito di Shanghai è piuttosto impegnativo per il 6 cilindri turbo, perché si sta con il piede a tavoletta sul gas per il 74% del giro
74% full throttle per lap
Ers

Il sistema ibrido può valere un guadagno di 2”7 per giro e può valere un aumento di 12 km/h nella velocità massima. In Cina, la MGU-K in frenata dovrebbe recuperare fino a 638 kJ a tornata, mentre la MGU-H può recuperare fino a 3.652 KJ per giro (12% in più rispetto al 2016) per un totale di 4.290 KJ per giro.
Hybrid system can give 2"7 sec per lap and it is worth 12 km/h on top speed. In China MGU-K should recover up to 638 kJ per lap, while MGU-H can recover up to 3.652 KJ per lap (12% more than 2016) for a total of 4.290 KJ per lap

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/gp-de ... relli+cina
MGUK amount seems a little low for China.

Muniix

Tommy Cookers wrote:
08 Feb 2017, 13:02
fwiw I have been assuming that most of the heat flow is still 'SI-traditional' (ie conduction laterally to cylinder walls)
as (I assume) applies in the modern SI engines that have some piston oil-cooling eg by under-crown oil jet or spray
(this eg in road motorcycles allowing thinner crowns and walls etc, and so lighter pistons and more rpm and power)

if most heat flow is by under-crown heat exchange to moving fluid surely crown thickness is trivial compared to other practical issues
With jet ignition the combustion starts out near the liner and burns towards the centre, depending on spray pattern of jets the jets radius of 30mm or so, the time to HR10 is same as SI, the lean rate then slowing combustion. Identifying start of combustion using pressure sensors is different. Less top land crevice volume holding dense cool gasses with steel pistons.
This will effect surface area in contact with burned and unburned gas. Effecting heat flux I into surfaces.

Cylinder liner could also be Steel it's hardness is needed explaining the extra mass maybe unless the DLC coating can survive supported by alloy without scuffing. Barrier layer and friction can be good with Steel.

For production motorcycle engine with jet ignition could use steel piston & liners. Needs some testing. Can lean
out to reduce temperature further, but FE ratio will be determined by ideal CV profile to produce maximum rotational torque, reduced friction losses, with enough giga flops can calculate these in real time into virtual sensors. To identify ideal ignition angle and burn rate/FE ratio.

PlatinumZealot

I thought steel pistons were only used in big diesel engines? If I am not mistaken, the publicly released media out there still say that steel pistons have oiling problems and need huge oil sprays to keep the ring landings cool, and that these oil spray are just to big and heavy for small engines. As far as I am aware the solution is not publicly out there... so whoever sees one in a car or motorcycle engine be sure to post the info.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

shady

while im sure youre aware, this is the premise:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127947

easy enough, at first I thought that it was misinformation that ferrari threw out there as a distraction, but people have taken it to heart.. I am no so sure, we may not find out for a while yet.

PlatinumZealot

We will never know. Even the internals of the old V8's are shrouded in secrecy.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏