Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
FW17

Re: Ferrari Power Unit

Looks like they have gone back to intercooler in the V of the engine or they are using a very tall straight VLIM rather than the curled types used by others

ferkan

Intercooler seems to be right above compressor.

http://en.f1i.com/magazine/magazine-tec ... ain.html/2

FW17

So a tall intercooler and a very small intake manifold something similar to the Porsche 919

dren

It's somewhat a return to their original 2015 PU. I really liked the layout of that even though it was a dog.
Honda!

63l8qrrfy6

dren wrote:
20 Apr 2017, 15:56
Mudflap wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 21:46
Lower LHS accessory kinda looks like a hydraulic pump ?
And the 2 lines going up into the vee can be hydraulic lines for the variable trumpet actuator ?

Or is it just a fuel pump ?
Are the fuel pumps electric or mechanically driven at these high pressures?
It has to be mechanically driven - I think it'd in the rules somewhere.

Juzh

dren wrote:
20 Apr 2017, 18:16
It's somewhat a return to their original 2015 PU. I really liked the layout of that even though it was a dog.
Ferrari 2015 PU was a dog? You mean 2014?

dren

Juzh wrote:
20 Apr 2017, 19:49
dren wrote:
20 Apr 2017, 18:16
Ferrari 2015 PU was a dog? You mean 2014?
Yes, you are correct. Time flies! :)
Honda!

FW17

FW17 wrote:
21 Apr 2017, 16:02
PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Apr 2017, 15:56
FW17 wrote:
21 Apr 2017, 10:54

Don't think compressor size is limited by putting it in a cradle between gearbox and engine

Ferrari have the shortest routing for air with the inter cooler sitting in the V of the engine. They have done something totally different with the intake plenum. Something clever in the way they have made it, if the accommodated the Variable lengths with it, it will be one incredible design.

PS: Somehow the Honda engine thread has become the all engine discussion thread
The variable length runner are upside-down (inverted) in my opinion. They point downward into the V of the engine. The plenum is a big box with the intercooler at the back and the runnuers draw air from he bottom.
PZ lets move this to Ferrari Engine thread before it gets deleted

onventional variable intake manifolds are quite weighty and space-engaging. They are also likely to have the intake manifolds twisted or narrowed such that high-end power output is affected. Ferrari F12tdf avoids these problems by adopting a different kind of variable intake manifold. Its V12 engine utilizes 2 sets of trumpets (the black ones in picture below) which can move within the intake plenums, varying the effective length of intake manifolds. The trumpets are moved by hydraulic actuators located between the two plenums. In the F12tdf, the trumpets vary between long and short positions, but theoretically this design can be easily modified to vary continuously between the two positions.

One shortcoming of this design is limited range of adjustment. As the movable trumpets are quite short, the difference beween long and short modes are not as big as conventional VIM systems. However, this problem could be solved by using multiple trumpet sections working in telescopic style.

FW17

Ferrari factory team is on the 3rd turbo charger and it is only the 4th race of the season. The team calls it strategic

Are they using different turbo sizing for different track characteristics ?

ripper

As far as I have understand they found a reliability issue in TC first spec (the one that blew in kimi's car) and the newly fitted one should address that. I've read that the old spec had problems with high temperature, hence the problem in Bahrain.

I didn't read anything about sizing, performance and so on.

PlatinumZealot

Ferrari have negated the magic q3 button effect. Whether they have one of their own or they achieved the removal of Mercedes' no more sudden power increse in Q3 for Merc from now on.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ripper

I don't think so. In first sector mercs were better than Ferrari and the silver arrows can use the same strat on race start or safety car.

In my opinion what Mercedes gained in s1 was clawed back in s2 and s3 due to better df/traction/tyre management/whatever. I wish that merc and fer pu had the same q3 mode, but I think that the German pu is ahead

F1NAC

PlatinumZealot wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 13:33
Ferrari have negated the magic q3 button effect. Whether they have one of their own or they achieved the removal of Mercedes' no more sudden power increse in Q3 for Merc from now on.
they still have the edge on straights. in S2, S3 Ferrari aced (bar backstraight) https://twitter.com/FiftyBuckss/status/ ... 8715917313

Juzh

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Nice optimism. Back to reality now:
https://streamable.com/jah99

Frafer

Juzh wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 21:42
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Nice optimism. Back to reality now:
https://streamable.com/jah99
i guess that ferraris've used a slightly more draggy setup in order to shine in the corners
"I will miss Gilles for two reasons. First, he was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing. Second, he was the most genuine man I have ever known. But he has not gone. The memory of what he has done, what he achieved, will always be there." J. Scheckter