Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ferkan
ferkan

Re: Ferrari Power Unit

Bottas was actually between both of them as far as 1st sector goes, probably setup related as well, but I can see Ferrari having 10-15hp less.

Juzh

Frafer wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 22:09
Juzh wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 21:42
PlatinumZealot wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 13:33
Ferrari have negated the magic q3 button effect. Whether they have one of their own or they achieved the removal of Mercedes' no more sudden power increse in Q3 for Merc from now on.
Nice optimism. Back to reality now:
https://streamable.com/jah99
i guess that ferraris've used a slightly more draggy setup in order to shine in the corners
There's zero evidence that actually being the case. Ferrari ran a lower wing setup in russia anyway. Merecedes starts to pull away way before any meaningful drag effect starts to kick in.

Frafer
Frafer

Juzh wrote:
01 May 2017, 10:52
Frafer wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 22:09
Juzh wrote:

i guess that ferraris've used a slightly more draggy setup in order to shine in the corners
There's zero evidence that actually being the case. Ferrari ran a lower wing setup in russia anyway. Merecedes starts to pull away way before any meaningful drag effect starts to kick in.
well, when you are above 100 kph you start to see some effect of aero config on straight line, and that's the exit speed from last corner. and ferrari didn't run a lower wing setup, mercedes used a spoon shaped one
"I will miss Gilles for two reasons. First, he was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing. Second, he was the most genuine man I have ever known. But he has not gone. The memory of what he has done, what he achieved, will always be there." J. Scheckter

George-Jung
George-Jung

Didn't people used to say that Mercedes was able to slap on all the downforce they needed, because of their power unit advantage..?

So either they can produce less downforce as the Ferrari or they chose to run less downforce.. but for sure Mercedes chose their fastest configuration.

So left or right in both options the Ferrari was the faster one ( qualy) on this power dominant circuit, although they lost due to the start.

giantfan10
giantfan10

Juzh wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Ferrari have negated the magic q3 button effect. Whether they have one of their own or they achieved the removal of Mercedes' no more sudden power increse in Q3 for Merc from now on.
After watching that my first response is that Ferrari has a much better chassis than Mercedes while Mercedes has a more powerful engine with their magic button in qualifying and at certain times in the race.

f1316
f1316

giantfan10 wrote:
02 May 2017, 04:38
Juzh wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
After watching that my first response is that Ferrari has a much better chassis than Mercedes while Mercedes has a more powerful engine with their magic button in qualifying and at certain times in the race.
I think from watching the video, that is the only conclusion.

But we have to remember that Hamilton wasn't the fastest Mercedes ; why didn't they choose Bottas' lap? Since he has the exact same engine, I'd suggest you'd see the same engine advantage I'm such a comparison but less corner disadvantage, since Hamilton did seem to be struggling more than Bottas for whatever reason.

So I reckon those conclusions are correct but not to the extent the video would make it appear.

(Edit: and what on earth does PDR mean by the "hybrid vs the combustion"?!? On air nerves, I guess!)

sosic2121
sosic2121

giantfan10 wrote:
IMO that conclusion is flawed.

I think that Ferrari ran more DF and more drag. Only after T1 Mercedes is much faster, indicating that drag is main difference between the cars.
It seems that Ferrari is better while breaking and cornering,indicating more DF.
Also, during race Ferrari was able to keep US for much longer because, imo they ran more DF.
I think DF level is much simpler and more probable explanation...

Juzh

sosic2121 wrote:
02 May 2017, 10:36
giantfan10 wrote:

I think that Ferrari ran more DF and more drag.
Yes and no.

keroro.90
keroro.90

sosic2121 wrote:
02 May 2017, 10:36
giantfan10 wrote:

I think that Ferrari ran more DF and more drag. Only after T1 Mercedes is much faster, indicating that drag is main difference between the cars.
It seems that Ferrari is better while breaking and cornering,indicating more DF.
Also, during race Ferrari was able to keep US for much longer because, imo they ran more DF.
I think DF level is much simpler and more probable explanation...
I think the difference in T1 is due to a problem of the Italian PU, clipping, they are still suffering from some clipping, was the same in Bahrain, they reach the end of the straight but there is no more energy left.....we will see in Baku....

ferkan
ferkan

Merc is still faster engine, but not by much and not by extent this video shows. Bottas was between Ham and Vettel in first two sectors, so he likely ran a bit more DF therefore had less straight line speed.

figo
figo

Probably Ferrari's power unit is slightly better than Mercedes. I mean on normal race mode, Ferrari possibly has + 5bhp over Mercedes. And this is another reason of Ferrari having the best race pace in every single race so far, except the better use of tires.
As regards the quail mode, Mercedes definitely has an advantage. Maybe 10-15 bhp more and possibly illegal. They more likely burn some oil rather than they have an aggressive engine mapping.
And Mercedes also use it in some occasions during the race. If they stack behind a slower car or at the restart of the race after safety car period. Remember Bahrain race: After safety car period Hamilton’s easy pass on Richardo and Bottas almost pass Vettel at the straight although he was unable to match Vettel’s pace at any stage of the race.

etusch

Everybody locked hp's. My idea about that is Ferrari PU has more power than merc but at higher revs I think and also create a bit lower torq at a bit higher revs. Probably Merso made all of this at lower rpms. This may cause very small advantage of merc PU. (of course there is chasis affect too ) Who knows 8)

ripper
ripper

Motorsport.it says that the 2nd ICE spec used today has 10-15 more hp

Aaaaaand ICE number 3 on VET car, penalties here I come

RZS10

According to the FIA tech report Vettel is now on his 4th Turbo and 3rd MGU-H.

Xwang
Xwang

So if during the season they want to upgrade the turbo, does Vet have to pay a 10 grid positions penalty? In that case can Ferrari select for each VET engine components (ICE, turbo, etc) the most used ones and change all the engine assembled with them? How much grid position would he lose in that scenario?