Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Xwang

Re: Ferrari Power Unit

outsid3r wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 16:15
Xwang wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 19:57
Italian sky has said it is not third spec
If I understood correctly HAAS''s is the 3rd PU but old spec. They also said that the 3rd PU Ferrari are bringing to Silverstone will also be old spec. However, what I don't understand is why put a new PU in both cars (that is my understanding as they didn't specify otherwise)? VET's 2nd engine is relatively new as it 'skipped' a race, so surely they don't need to introduce a new one if it didn't have any upgrades what-so-ever?
Ferrari 3rd engine should be a new spec.
The 2nd engine with older spec can be used again at tracks which are less power demanding.
Probably the new spec wasn't still available in time to give HASS a new spec for this track (otherwise Ferrari would have used new engines at this track too).

epo
epo

Xwang wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 16:22
outsid3r wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 16:15
Xwang wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 19:57
Italian sky has said it is not third spec
If I understood correctly HAAS''s is the 3rd PU but old spec. They also said that the 3rd PU Ferrari are bringing to Silverstone will also be old spec. However, what I don't understand is why put a new PU in both cars (that is my understanding as they didn't specify otherwise)? VET's 2nd engine is relatively new as it 'skipped' a race, so surely they don't need to introduce a new one if it didn't have any upgrades what-so-ever?
Ferrari 3rd engine should be a new spec.
The 2nd engine with older spec can be used again at tracks which are less power demanding.
Probably the new spec wasn't still available in time to give HASS a new spec for this track (otherwise Ferrari would have used new engines at this track too).
But how explain the great Haas performance then? They were like never so far before any second grade Mercedes team. I wouldn't be surprised if they raced the third spec but didn't want to make it public. Reason not to use it for Silverstone might be because of Magnussen engine failure?

senja

Because it still better than 1st spec.

lio007

Haas has got the new spec here in austria to test it. This new spec will be used from ferrari in silverstone as well.
Does anybody know what caused Magnussens DNF?

ripper

If I understood correctly it was a gearbox issue

lio007

Ok, so no problem for the works team, to use the new spec as well.

ripper

If I understood correctly during italian broadcast they said that HAAS had a new PU but it is the "evo1", that was adopted by Ferrari (well only by Vettel due to ICE1 problems that Raikkonen had) some gp ago.

giantfan10

lio007 wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 22:28
Haas has got the new spec here in austria to test it. This new spec will be used from ferrari in silverstone as well.
Does anybody know what caused Magnussens DNF?
Wrong. Haas has a spec thats new to them but not the latest upgrade that Ferrari will have in silverstone

Muniix

https://goo.gl/photos/Rw5RmcZwvZxPeH3u9
Here is additive manufactured part made by Bastion Cycles here in Australia. One of the first commercially viable examples of 3D manufacturing.
Preview may need to select link to show

stevesingo

4yrs ago I held in my hand a titanium alloy nut which had been sectioned to reveal it had a hollow core.

63l8qrrfy6

3+ years ago we started racing laser sintered inconel exhaust pieces. StilI using them and the prices have not gone down at all.

No fancy features either, just quicker to manufacture.

MtthsMlw

German Auto Bild Motorsport reports a 25hp gain

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel-1 ... 29053.html

Very unlikely, right?

Sieper

I think they do have it, merc and ferr again dropping RB to a distant 3rd.

Oil via the cilinder? Just like merc? A very big bounce forward again as compared to the last races where they were forced to disconnect the oil tank.

wuzak

Sieper wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 15:41
I think they do have it, merc and ferr again dropping RB to a distant 3rd.

Oil via the cilinder? Just like merc? A very big bounce forward again as compared to the last races where they were forced to disconnect the oil tank.
Doubt they were allowed to reconnect the oil tank. If they did, indeed, disconnect an oil tank.

I don't think there has been an official report on the matter. Only rules clarifications with rumour and innuendo regarding Ferrari.

Sieper

No no, they are not allowed to do that, and they wouldn't have. I think it likely they have a more ingenieus system now (like merc), which is not allowed but will only be clamped down upon next season.