Control F1 car energy recovery system

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
DaveW
DaveW

Re: Control F1 car energy recovery system

gruntguru wrote:I haven't read anything he published on the matter....
Here is a pre-print of a paper, courtesy of Gordon Macabe. Nothing really unsual, I suppose, other that the slightly touching conviction that every problem can be solved by a sufficiently comprehensive "optimization" statement.

gruntguru
gruntguru

Thanks for the link Dave. Lots of useful information in there - eg

je suis charlie

Vortex37
Vortex37

autogyro wrote:
Surely the need for a full power train dyno facility has been recognised by all the teams and power train developers and many years ago.
If not then I am not so far behind on development ideas as I thought I was. I am also very surprised that Ferrari lacked the technology. It was something I thought about over ten years ago.
Could this be because of a miss placed faith in remote power train development by the engine suppliers/builders only and or a cost issue.

I demonstrated such a full power train dyno for Gordon Murray at McLaren in the 90s.
It was a mobile hub mounted dyno for use with anything up to the fully assembled car at the circuit.

McLaren did not purchase one at the time.
Going by what DW has said of Ferrari's new acquisition, perhaps McLaren should get in touch with me again as it is perhaps something they are now in need of
:wink:

I remember using one, with Bob G, of Piper Cams, in the mid 1970's. They were American made. These new types are a lot more sophisticated, and expensive. http://tinyurl.com/k8e3a5z http://tinyurl.com/mxtrm46

bergie88
bergie88

During my graduation project I worked with optimal control theory for hybrid powertrains and since the introduction of the new power units in F1 I was already thinking of the application of optimal control theory to them. So cool that Ferrari is already applying it right now, and be sure that the other manufacturers are also looking into it.