Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ReoPTy

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

“It is an engine that offers the potential to cope with an awful lot of development. We have lot of ideas of concepts in the pipelines, most of them, as far as I am aware, have not been seen at the track.”

The unit for the Australia Grand Prix will be upgraded, with plans to deploy it at the Spanish Grand Prix.

“Clearly I am not going to disclose anything, but we are super excited by the level of innovation that this new platform offers. So it is a choice that we are not making for the start of the season, but we are definitely making for the long term.”

http://www.f1technical.net/news/21127

as i said its a brand new concept they are working on for 1 year now, Cyril is as conservative in his words as pre 2016 season view, the order are " sandbagging's better in f1 these days " hey hey

erikejw

Nickel wrote:
Muulka wrote:It's hilarious how people have just accepted the random reports of Red Bull having this 'VTT'. Totally unsubstantiated and I don't know why it's the subject of so much obsession.
Actually, it's been reported in a few places. AMUS reported on it as early as May.

here is a translated snippet: The driver sits in the simulator, and in an adjoining room, the car rides on wheels, including the engine, transmission and tires, as if it were on the racetrack. External influences such as temperatures can also be simulated. The lab was never so close to the race track. This is how Renault also benefits. "In Viry, they are not yet ready with the test rigs," reports team consultant Helmut Marko.

Original article (German) : http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 03249.html

Maybe Ferrari should build a roof over Fiorano , make a few modifications and call it their highly refined virtual test track :)

F1NAC

a photo from 2014. Good view on TC-C-MGUH position

PlatinumZealot

Nickel wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:I'm curious. Wouldn't be easier to download the simulator log file and use it at a time and place convenient to the other party?
easier? maybe. however doing so might simply put off the work until later. I take it the idea of the VTT is to simulate as many variables at once as they can, hence having the driver in the loop. the rolling road/dyno setup is thus simulating driver errors, habits and preferences instead of a computer programmed to simulate a lap.

Other than not having to build the infrastructure to tie the two together, what do you imagine is the advantage of using the simulator log to run the test bed at a later time?
The way you said it gave me the impression that there is a one way communication from the driver/car simulator to the engine on it's rolling road dyno. So in that case; of one way, or open loop communication, it would be convenient to download the data from the driver/car simulator and then use on the engine dyno at a convenient time. On the other hand, if you said to me, that it was a two way, or closed loop communication between the simulator and the rolling road dyno; where the engine was sending back information to the simulator and vice-versa, then I could easily agree with the obvious requirement of the two systems running simultaneously.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

sosic2121

erikejw wrote: Maybe Ferrari should build a roof over Fiorano , make a few modifications and call it their highly refined virtual test track :)
:mrgreen: =D>

Nickel

I seem to have inadvertently opened up a discussion around a hypothetical best-case virtual test center / simulator. I find the discussion very interesting, especially mulling over the idea of a driver in a simulator as the basis for an automated vehicle driving around an actual full sized track (which doesn't seem to be explicitly forbidden, just prohibitively expensive not to mention the logistical and technological impediments to the driver-less car end of things). With that being said, I apologize for the OT. Perhaps a dedicated thread is in order?

Back on Topic, that's a very nice picture! I knew the TC setups were large, but it's impressive to look at contextualized around the size of the block.

roon

F1NAC wrote:a photo from 2014. Good view on TC-C-MGUH position

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0yC6BAWEAAlsJU.jpg:large
Looking at this image, my hindsight kicks in. Years on, I'm still impressed with the clever arrangement of the Mercedes PU and wonder what kept the other teams from developing a similar solution. Were they lacking in the conceptual phase i.e. did their large/well funded design teams not consider enough layout concepts? Or did they all go through this phase, perhaps all considering a Merc-type layout in the beginning, among others, and then choose to develop other options? Put simply: a failure to conceptualize? Or a failure to evaluate from a sufficient diversity of concepts? Assuming macro-scale-layout is a significant aspect of Merc's superiority.

NL_Fer

I mentioned it months ago, but now it is clear to see. Imagine the compressor in front of the mgu-h, the assembly would not not be that much longer. It is only a v6.

roon

In that image you can see a disconnected wastegate actuator & a blowoff valve. The BOV in the lower righthand corner. The wastegate is the long stainless-steel(?) cylinder with baffles & foil, right above the mgu-h. Its intake & outlet are capped off with two white plastic caps.

PlatinumZealot

I think that the 2014 Renault packaging is still tidy, looking on it all opened up now.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

roon wrote:
F1NAC wrote:a photo from 2014. Good view on TC-C-MGUH position

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0yC6BAWEAAlsJU.jpg:large
Looking at this image, my hindsight kicks in. Years on, I'm still impressed with the clever arrangement of the Mercedes PU and wonder what kept the other teams from developing a similar solution. Were they lacking in the conceptual phase i.e. did their large/well funded design teams not consider enough layout concepts? Or did they all go through this phase, perhaps all considering a Merc-type layout in the beginning, among others, and then choose to develop other options? Put simply: a failure to conceptualize? Or a failure to evaluate from a sufficient diversity of concepts? Assuming macro-scale-layout is a significant aspect of Merc's superiority.
Perhaps Renault, like Honda, and Ferrari, underestimated the amount of boost they could run, because they did not know about the concept of TJI until after the 2014 season, but the token limit meant that they could not adapt fast enough, nor change enough. I think had the token system not have been in place at least one other manufacturer would have copied the Mercedes layout. Perhaps there are challenges that they didn't have time to solve, which Mercedes clearly did.
Saishū kōnā

FPV GTHO

We know Renault started late, they probably didn't do many concepts like Mercedes clearly have.

roon

Did Merc have foreknowledge of TJI? Some special agreement with Mahle? I'm not aware of the history.

ringo

roon wrote:In that image you can see a disconnected wastegate actuator & a blowoff valve. The BOV in the lower righthand corner. The wastegate is the long stainless-steel(?) cylinder with baffles & foil, right above the mgu-h. Its intake & outlet are capped off with two white plastic caps.
Looks like the wastegate is just resting there momentarily. We saw it on top of the exhaust pipe in some of the older pictures.

The other device, yea looks like a BOV, but where is it located along the piping; what's the optimal location for a race engine?
For Sure!!

Blackout

Caterham F1.co.uk ‏@KevTs 12. Nov. Original (Englisch) übersetzen
Caterham CT05 F1 2014 Energy store diagram