Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Blackout

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

And if you read the new regs, the 2016-2017 mguh should weight around 4kg while the k should be 7kg, so the 2016-2017 h must be way smaller than that 2014 mguh :?:

FPV GTHO
FPV GTHO

roon wrote:In that image you can see a disconnected wastegate actuator & a blowoff valve. The BOV in the lower righthand corner. The wastegate is the long stainless-steel(?) cylinder with baffles & foil, right above the mgu-h. Its intake & outlet are capped off with two white plastic caps.
Surely it would be the wastegate in the bottom right, as that looks to be where the exhaust plumbing would be.

Blackout

"2017 is key to making sure that the next step that we make into next year is the right one, which we are 99% sure of.

"But we need to make the most out of it.

"We're already seeing that we will have a good step into next season to start with.

"We're not going to overwork our first race specification and we will have a plan to do things in a sensible manner."

"I don't think we will close the gap this winter, though I I don't know, but the target is to be very close by the end of next year because the target was to be in a position in '18 to fight somehow with these guys," Taffin told Autosport.

"We know more or less where they are and we can see we can get there.

"It's fair to say that '18 should be the year where we should level everything."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... ls-by-2018

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

roon wrote:Did Merc have foreknowledge of TJI? ......
does anyone think that they (or whoever wrote the engine rules) didn't ?

godlameroso

The tech paper was published in 2012.

http://papers.sae.org/2012-01-0823/

So someone had to have known about this by this date, possibly sooner.
Saishū kōnā

Vladimir
Vladimir

Renault work for one year on this new concept,so maybe that is reason why thay choose 2014/2015 chasie platform for 2017 car. In that way, they should "buyed" time for testing instalation and new configurations of R.S. 17. And that should be much better preparation for next season.

Pierce89

Vladimir wrote:Renault work for one year on this new concept,so maybe that is reason why thay choose 2014/2015 chasie platform for 2017 car. In that way, they should "buyed" time for testing instalation and new configurations of R.S. 17. And that should be much better preparation for next season.
They didn't "choose" a '15 platform for '17. The '16 platform was the '15 platform and that's their starting point. They never meant that were going backwards in any way. Translation errors and misunderstandings surely are responsible for most of the misinformation in the f1 world today
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Vladimir
Vladimir

Pierce89 wrote:
Vladimir wrote:Renault work for one year on this new concept,so maybe that is reason why thay choose 2014/2015 chasie platform for 2017 car. In that way, they should "buyed" time for testing instalation and new configurations of R.S. 17. And that should be much better preparation for next season.
They didn't "choose" a '15 platform for '17. The '16 platform was the '15 platform and that's their starting point. They never meant that were going backwards in any way. Translation errors and misunderstandings surely are responsible for most of the misinformation in the f1 world today
I read some posts here about that and I doesn't understend why Renault choose 2015 platform when that was for Mercedes PU design for. Only 14' car may be choosen but why.Only if 2017 PU has the same layout as old one.

PlatinumZealot

i see why you got mixed up. The 2015 platform was meant for a renault egine too. They modified at at last minut for a mercedes so it was a bit of bastardization by time they had to make it for a Renault engine again for 2016.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Pierce89

Vladimir wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:
I read some posts here about that and I doesn't understend why Renault choose 2015 platform when that was for Mercedes PU design for. Only 14' car may be choosen but why.Only if 2017 PU has the same layout as old one.
Dude , they're working from 2016 as a base, hut the problem is that they're 2016 car was they're 2015 but with a Renault in back instewd of a Merc. Basically they're just saying that they lost a full year of development in 2015 because they had no money, so when 2016 came around they still weren't working yet because Renault took so long to finalize everything and they just raced the same car with a different PU.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Vladimir
Vladimir

Pierce89 wrote:
Vladimir wrote:
Pierce89 wrote: They didn't "choose" a '15 platform for '17. The '16 platform was the '15 platform and that's their starting point. They never meant that were going backwards in any way. Translation errors and misunderstandings surely are responsible for most of the misinformation in the f1 world today
Dude , they're working from 2016 as a base, hut the problem is that they're 2016 car was they're 2015 but with a Renault in back instewd of a Merc. Basically they're just saying that they lost a full year of development in 2015 because they had no money, so when 2016 came around they still weren't working yet because Renault took so long to finalize everything and they just raced the same car with a different PU.
Oh I understand.
I would like all new 2017. chasie and one that is good integrated with all new PU.
I hope now,that Renault work for one year on whole package.

roon
roon

lio007 wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/renau ... 61660/?s=1

This might get interesting how that pans out.
I'd really like to know what kind of new concepts they are going to introduce! Is anybody close to Viry around here, to give us some hints :D (e.g. is the dyno testing promising, how's the relationship with Ilmor,...)

I was also wondering if Renault is using RBR's VTT. I think it would be an advantage to test cooling requirements,... of the new PU in a real chassis.
Regarding this article & ( http://www.f1technical.net/news/21127 ), how much leeway do Renault have for redesigning their engine? It's unclear to me how regs and tokens will affect their development for '17. Can they move major components around? For example, can they build a Merc-type split-turbo this late in the game?

djos

roon wrote:
lio007 wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/renau ... 61660/?s=1

This might get interesting how that pans out.
I'd really like to know what kind of new concepts they are going to introduce! Is anybody close to Viry around here, to give us some hints :D (e.g. is the dyno testing promising, how's the relationship with Ilmor,...)

I was also wondering if Renault is using RBR's VTT. I think it would be an advantage to test cooling requirements,... of the new PU in a real chassis.
Regarding this article & ( http://www.f1technical.net/news/21127 ), how much leeway do Renault have for redesigning their engine? It's unclear to me how regs and tokens will affect their development for '17. Can they move major components around? For example, can they build a Merc-type split-turbo this late in the game?

There are no tokens in 2017, you can show up with an entirely new PU design for each batch of engines and there's no penalties (assuming your previous batches last the required number of weekends).
"In downforce we trust"

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

But it really depends on what the research team already has pre-cooked on the testbenches in 2015. The tokenrule was dropped almost beginning of 2016, they can develop some crazy stuff in a years time.

roon
roon

NL_Fer wrote:But it really depends on what the research team already has pre-cooked on the testbenches in 2015. The tokenrule was dropped almost beginning of 2016, they can develop some crazy stuff in a years time.
What do you mean by your first sentence? 2015 somehow limiting 2016 open development in preparation for 2017.