Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
lio007

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

Pierce89

ReoPTy wrote:
carisi2k wrote:
NL_Fer wrote:In 2009 the v8 was equalized and frozen till the end. No natural maturing here.

Even v10 was being developed in 2005, after 10 years.
Yes the v8 was frozen again in 2009 but even still mercedes had unreleased potential in there engine freeze and that allowed them to continue adding hp with a frozen spec engine. Renault used there design to power the blown diffusers which the mercedes and ferrari engine was not designed to do. Hence why Red Bull was able to get the most of this ability in the later years of the v8 formula.
at least in this v8 aera renault created something by themselves with fair competition to win with a bit less power, and wasn't ridicusly granted by fia token or freeze as mercedes was last 3 years to keep their "advantage " threating to quit F1 reducing to zero any competition
Well actually the freeze prevented competition much more than the current era. It locked in Renault more efficient "blowing" potential as compared to the other engines. I missed your point, but I think that's just because you don't have one.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Gothrek

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12473/ ... er-by-2018

Renault can catch up to Mercedes with their engine development by 2018, according to managing director Cyril Abiteboul.

Craigy

Gothrek wrote:http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12473/ ... er-by-2018

Renault can catch up to Mercedes with their engine development by 2018, according to managing director Cyril Abiteboul.
Perhaps by the start of 2018 they can catch up with where they know Mercedes are now, but they can only guess where Mercedes will be by the start of 2018, so it's pointless to say that.

Even Mercedes don't know where they'll be by the start of 2018. Nobody knows what they will find in a development year.

Brian Coat

Gothrek wrote: Renault can catch up to Mercedes with their engine development by 2018, according to managing director Cyril Abiteboul.
Craigy wrote: ... they can only guess where Mercedes will be by the start of 2018, so it's pointless to say that.
Good job he didn't say it then.

"Before being capable of innovating I think it's important that we completely catch up to Mercedes, which we hope to be able to achieve at the start of 2018."

PlatinumZealot

carisi2k wrote:
NL_Fer wrote:In 2009 the v8 was equalized and frozen till the end. No natural maturing here.

Yes the v8 was frozen again in 2009 but even still mercedes had unreleased potential in there engine freeze and that allowed them to continue adding hp with a frozen spec engine. Renault used there design to power the blown diffusers which the mercedes and ferrari engine was not designed to do. Hence why Red Bull was able to get the most of this ability in the later years of the v8 formula.
Not sure if that was really the case. I don't recall any team saying the Renault Engine was at an advantage in the EBD era. What I do remember, is that Renault mastered the ignition mapping for it first, but that was mostly down to software and not the hardware of the engine itself, whose major parts were frozen. I also remember Mclaren Also Producing a fairly strong hot blown EBD in 2011. In 2012 and 2013 the EDBS were "cold" blown if my memory serves, all the engines were equal in that regard. I also remember Some teams scuh as Williams having diffuclty of the aerdynamics more than getting the engine to blow on the overun.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Gothrek wrote:http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12473/ ... er-by-2018

He lies as usal, so expect them to catch up in 2017. :wink:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ReoPTy

too cautious , if catching up mean Pu equals the pic power output of supposed 2018 Mercedes PU , history shown renault engine wining post 2000 championships without having this edge on thier side ! 2017 PU should be withing 15hp , and it might be enough for Newey teams

Vladimir

ReoPTy wrote:too cautious , if catching up mean Pu equals the pic power output of supposed 2018 Mercedes PU , history shown renault engine wining post 2000 championships without having this edge on thier side ! 2017 PU should be withing 15hp , and it might be enough for Newey teams
That is true, Renault was never intended for the most powerful engine on the grid. Innovation, efficiency,drivebility and consistent performance with great reliability were Renault main strength in all winning engines they produced.
If the power difference will be below 3% between Mercedes and Renault this season, Red Bull will be in good position. But, Ferrari also could make the PU with more power than Mercedes in 2017.

Juzh

PlatinumZealot wrote:
carisi2k wrote:

Not sure if that was really the case. I don't recall any team saying the Renault Engine was at an advantage in the EBD era. What I do remember, is that Renault mastered the ignition mapping for it first, but that was mostly down to software and not the hardware of the engine itself, whose major parts were frozen. I also remember Mclaren Also Producing a fairly strong hot blown EBD in 2011. In 2012 and 2013 the EDBS were "cold" blown if my memory serves, all the engines were equal in that regard. I also remember Some teams scuh as Williams having diffuclty of the aerdynamics more than getting the engine to blow on the overun.
Hot EBD used by mclaren was better than cold blowing used by renault and red bull:
https://youtu.be/4n50NTRp95k?t=1m59s

After 2011 neither cold or hot blowing was allowed anymore. In literal terms, all blowing was hot as it was only allowed on open throttle.

Blackout

It's true Renault's phylosophy, atleast since the early 90's, is to focus on the laptime and to produce the most driver-friendly and chassis friendly possible engine; that means an engine that has the best efficiency/consumption/ligtness/cooling requirements/compacity/driveability/exhaust-driven-aero/power* "ratio" possible...
That's why Renault often works with its customers very closely and often provide them with bespoke solutions. Their customers are often considered like semi-works teams...

But Renault f***ed up in 2014 because they underestimated/misjudged the new challenge and Mercedes has the edge on all of those areas today. The Merc PU is the PU that matches that philosophy the most IMO.
The 2016 Renault improved well on most of those areas but it still has the same bulky/cumbersome/unoptimized architecture and I dont know if the 2017 PU will be much more compact.
But I heard it will be lighter overall.

*Renault has been doing EBD since the 80's. And during the 90's in Viry, two different teams worked with Williams and Benetton respectively on their EBD solutions...
*and they often sacrified power to get the most of the other areas, in 2005 and 2006 too.

FrukostScones

with a complete PU redesign, maybe they will have 2014 reliability again?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

ME4ME

You would expect Renault to be more aware of the challenges as well as having a better quality ensurance system in place. By their own words they are now building more parts in-house. They were pretty flawless last year, I think they'll be fine reliability wise.

FrukostScones

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... s-for-2017
"We are going to have an all-new architecture on the internal combustion engine, and also be introducing for the first time the second generation of Energy Recovery System."
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

noname

FrukostScones wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... s-for-2017
"We are going to have an all-new architecture on the internal combustion engine, and also be introducing for the first time the second generation of Energy Recovery System."
Bold statement, but it does not mean much. Regulations has not changed, and they are very detailed. Number of cylinders, bore, stroke, bank angle, min. weight, COG height, etc., etc., are still in place. You can move things around, you can exploit different concepts here and there, you can refine certain bits, but calling this "all-new architecture" is exaggeration, to say the least.