Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
toraabe

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

godlameroso wrote:The Renault takes less than the Mercedes engine to fire up.
It depends on how long you want to bax the engine prior to ignition. You just don't want to ignite unless oil pressure is up to level.

godlameroso

Exactly, so why does the Mercedes need a few seconds extra to build oil pressure?
Saishū kōnā

FPV GTHO

Renault previously used the MGUK to start the engine on track whilst Mercedes didn't. Perhaps that is still the case, and Renault also uses the MGUK to assist with a regular start, enabling a faster fire up.

Juzh

FPV GTHO wrote:Renault previously used the MGUK to start the engine on track whilst Mercedes didn't.
How can you be sure?

FPV GTHO

Well I didn't build it, so I can't. But that's what the article I read said.

wuzak

Juzh wrote:
FPV GTHO wrote:Renault previously used the MGUK to start the engine on track whilst Mercedes didn't.
How can you be sure?
At one of the races, I think maybe Spa, Palmer started his car on track after spinning off.

Juzh

wuzak wrote:
Juzh wrote:
How can you be sure?
At one of the races, I think maybe Spa, Palmer started his car on track after spinning off.
Yes, that one is know, but what I was referring to is how can he be sure mercedes PU can not be started by the mgu-k. Has this been confirmed?

godlameroso

I mention the oil pressure because I have an idea. The rules allow an engine ancillary to deliver power to the MGU-K, if you were in theory able to couple a hydrostatic drive to the MGU-K driven off the engine, with an accumulator tank, you could in theory boost MGU-K deployment, or harvesting. Of course, there isn't much space for such a device so I don't know if it's even possible. In theory it could work, there have been numerous hydraulic hybrids built, and plenty of off the shelf designs.

Saishū kōnā

hurril

In what way would that boost harvesting and deployment? It is already coupled to the engine, how would the precise nature of the mechanical transfer itself affect this?

godlameroso

It can send drive to the MGU-K and the k can resist it to help harvest the full 2MJ which the MGUK seldom recovers, or it can drive the MGU-K with less ES input. I say to be worth it it would have to give you at least ~5 seconds of extra deployment per lap. If you're the only one that has it, it'd be a huge advantage though.
Saishū kōnā

hurril

godlameroso wrote:It can send drive to the MGU-K and the k can resist it to help harvest the full 2MJ which the MGUK seldom recovers, or it can drive the MGU-K with less ES input. I say to be worth it it would have to give you at least ~5 seconds of extra deployment per lap. If you're the only one that has it, it'd be a huge advantage though.
Send drive? I am not getting your point at all here; the MGU-k is always connected so always driven; when recovery is possible, it'll recover (by resisting, thereby harvesting energy.)

What I'm asking is: where is the energy coming from that "you" are using to motor the MGU-k? What chunk of energy is it able to recover that is otherwise wasted?

godlameroso

A hydraulic pump is driven off the engine, and sends hydraulic pressure to a hydrostatic motor attached to the MGU-K to further drive the MGU-K in addition to the ES and crankshaft.

Hydrostatic drives are common and the rules permit such a device.

Here is how the system would work, it doesn't have to use nitrogen, hydraulic fluid would also work.

This isn't some outlandish vaporware lots of companies see there's some potential in hydraulic hybrids.

Last edited by godlameroso on 06 Feb 2017, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

hurril

godlameroso wrote:A hydraulic pump is driven off the engine, and sends hydraulic pressure to a hydrostatic motor attached to the MGU-K to further drive the MGU-K in addition to the ES and crankshaft.

Hydrostatic drives are common and the rules permit such a device.
But what would its advantages be over using the current gear-driven transfer?

godlameroso

It would lighten the burden on the energy store, allowing for longer deployment per lap. This system would not replace the gear driven MGU-K it would supplement it.

It's simple if your competition can only deploy for 35 seconds and you can deploy for 40 seconds that's an extra 5 seconds that you have 120kw more than the competition.

Not to mention more time spent at full throttle and shorter braking distances would put MGU-K harvesting at a premium. It would certainly be an advantage for the new regulations.

Anyway it's just an idea, the extra weight and space the system would occupy probably makes it impractical.
Saishū kōnā

hurril

godlameroso wrote:It would lighten the burden on the energy store, allowing for longer deployment per lap. This system would not replace the gear driven MGU-K it would supplement it.

It's simple if your competition can only deploy for 35 seconds and you can deploy for 40 seconds that's an extra 5 seconds that you have 120kw more than the competition.

Not to mention more time spent at full throttle and shorter braking distances would put MGU-K harvesting at a premium. It would certainly be an advantage for the new regulations.

Anyway it's just an idea, the extra weight and space the system would occupy probably makes it impractical.
We are missing each other here. Where is this energy coming from? "Recovery" is not the answer to that. What energy is being recovered with your suggestion that cannot or is not recovered at this point?

The MGU-k is driven by the ICE. You are suggesting a system also driven by the ICE. Aren't you just adding suspenders to the belt to keep the pants up, so to say?