Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
SR71

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

GhostF1 wrote:
27 Apr 2017, 06:37
http://i66.tinypic.com/25ujqqf.jpg

Saw some photos on the STR12 thread. Noticed that the exhaust setup has changed. Do we know of any PU updates Renault were planning for Sochi?
I think teams have the option to run it at their own risk.

The Performance upgrade has been confirmed but I think Renault has reliability concerns. If teams decide the risk is worth it they cannot blame Renault if it goes pop.

Big Mangalhit

gandharva wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 13:03
I think the Renault powered teams currently have a huge disadvantage by running the 2016 MGU-K. In the first part of the China Race (while RAI was chasing RIC) you could see the Renault MGU-K recovering energy (flickering rear lights) way before the braking zones at the RedBull, while at both Ferraris the rear light did not light up once.
Isn't the red light on the straight due to MGU-H harvesting? I thought the K would only harvest during brake.

stevesingo

Early harvesting on the straight does not necessarily indicate poor MGU+H performance. The mapping used whist defending may be changed to deploy more MGU+K assist at the beginning of the straight to increase the gap to the chasing car and therefore making the defending car less susceptible to being overtake by the chasing car getting a tow.

stevesingo

Early harvesting on the straight does not necessarily indicate poor MGU+H performance. The mapping used whist defending may be changed to deploy more MGU+K assist at the beginning of the straight to increase the gap to the chasing car and therefore making the defending car less susceptible to being overtake by the chasing car getting a tow.

Tommy Cookers

doesn't the red light mean only that the K is no longer motoring the car ? ie warning that the speed could be falling

wuzak

Tommy Cookers wrote:
28 Apr 2017, 12:02
doesn't the red light mean only that the K is no longer motoring the car ? ie warning that the speed could be falling
Yes.

Godius

Article from AutoBild. http://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel-1 ... 29245.html

The Renault ICE-update that was scheduled for Canada has been postponed indefinitely, hence the reason why Red Bull decided to put a new ICE in the car for this GP. There are too many reliability problems with the ICE-update. Renault is 40 horsepower down on power compared to Ferrari and Mercedes.
Last edited by Godius on 01 May 2017, 10:07, edited 2 times in total.

gandharva

Well done Renault. :roll:

ME4ME

Come on Renault. It's not good enough #-o

Already the Renault powered cars have had stoppages in Sochi, and now RB has had to change Verstappens engine just before the race :roll:

hurril

ME4ME wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 13:08
Come on Renault. It's not good enough #-o

Already the Renault powered cars have had stoppages in Sochi, and now RB has had to change Verstappens engine just before the race :roll:
Renault thanks you for giving them this advice.

godlameroso

Hmm goes to show that evolutionary engine steps(Mercedes and Ferrari) are more reliable than revolutionary architecture changes(Renault & Honda), who would have guessed.
Saishū kōnā

wuzak

godlameroso wrote:
01 May 2017, 01:14
Hmm goes to show that evolutionary engine steps(Mercedes and Ferrari) are more reliable than revolutionary architecture changes(Renault & Honda), who would have guessed.
I don't think Renault made any "revolutionary architecture changes". I think the architecture is much the same as before, just refined and mostly new parts.

r101

Godius wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 08:46
Article from AutoBild. http://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel-1 ... 29245.html

The Renault ICE-update that was scheduled for Canada has been postponed indefinitely, hence the reason why Red Bull decided to put a new ICE in the car for this GP. There are too many reliability problems with the ICE-update. Renault is 40 horsepower down on power compared to Ferrari and Mercedes.
In another article from couple of weeks ago, AMuS said that Renault are 25 hp down on Merc and Ferrari in race trim.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 10752.html

J.A.W.

I wonder if Renault is utilizing its partner in Nippon, Nissan - for things that may be useful in F1..
..like this external engine balance system for a 3 throw crankshaft: www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVE ... r12de.html
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

63l8qrrfy6

J.A.W. wrote:
04 May 2017, 05:08
I wonder if Renault is utilizing its partner in Nippon, Nissan - for things that may be useful in F1..
..like this external engine balance system for a 3 throw crankshaft: www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVE ... r12de.html
Why would you need that in a rigidly mounted engine ?
It only adds inertia and increases the bending moment in the crankshaft.