Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Yes.

T'is true!

That little puff of smoke at the start is the oil crucible being purged under high heat. A little is left for short bursts of speed to o'er take a rival in race. Be careful only three times may you call on this push to pass. The crucible is flushed of evidence after each race.
Wow, when did this forum descend to Trump "alternative facts" and false news? :roll: ](*,)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

toraabe
toraabe

Exactly

The smoke is just excess after baxing the engine for long time prior to ignition.
As I said before, you don't want to ignite before you are sure that all parts of the engine has reached
target oil pressure.

bucker
bucker

toraabe wrote:Exactly

The smoke is just excess after baxing the engine for long time prior to ignition.
As I said before, you don't want to ignite before you are sure that all parts of the engine has reached
target oil pressure.
Ignite what? Fuel in cylinders? Until then, how does the engine works? Petrol engines shouldn't produce any kind of smoke, unless there are cold temperatures. This kind of smoke suggest, that oil is being burned. But you don't want oil in the cylinders, or anykind of oil leakage on your engine. So they must burn oil intentionally.

pimpwerx
pimpwerx

bucker wrote:

target oil pressure.
Ignite what? Fuel in cylinders? Until then, how does the engine works? Petrol engines shouldn't produce any kind of smoke, unless there are cold temperatures. This kind of smoke suggest, that oil is being burned. But you don't want oil in the cylinders, or anykind of oil leakage on your engine. So they must burn oil intentionally.
Merc engines in the old Macs used to smoke too. I think the Ferraris as well. The V8 and V10 days. I remember Steve Matchett would comment on it every few races and explain that it's essentially spillover because the pans are topped up for the race.

godlameroso

pimpwerx wrote:
bucker wrote:

target oil pressure.
Merc engines in the old Macs used to smoke too. I think the Ferraris as well. The V8 and V10 days. I remember Steve Matchett would comment on it every few races and explain that it's essentially spillover because the pans are topped up for the race.
What pans?
Saishū kōnā

bucker
bucker

This week we we see what is the real power of the Mercedes 2017 power unit. Some articles say, that this week Mercedes will focus on performance with an extreme engine mapping and that we can see times 2 s quicker than last week.

PhillipM
PhillipM

I don't think anyone will see the real power of anyones unit until Q3.

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Yes.

T'is true!

That little puff of smoke at the start is the oil crucible being purged under high heat. A little is left for short bursts of speed to o'er take a rival in race. Be careful only three times may you call on this push to pass. The crucible is flushed of evidence after each race.
Wow, when did this forum descend to Trump "alternative facts" and false news? :roll: ](*,)
Garbage in. Garbage out.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

bucker wrote:

target oil pressure.
Quite a few "petrol engines" do 'use' (lose) oil, intentionally as a lubrication/pressure sealing measure, or simply
as a 'tolerance' factor.. the latter even in current high-tech machines, which have 'passed' stringent emission reg's...

Of course, F1 racing currently exempts any such oil use emissions concerns from consideration...
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

toraabe
toraabe

Probably they are allowing the cylinder liners to be well lubricated before ignition. Can be down to " smart" scaverning rings

ScrewCaptain27

First picture of the 2017 Mercedes PU (from the Williams):
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Power_VANO
Power_VANO

I have been on tests in Barcelona and Mercedes powered cars sounded quite different from others, particularly on start-finish straightline in DRS zone. They sounded in higher frequency like older V8s.

It may very well be a specially designed exhaust but I thought they increased engine RPMs but could not find any on-boards to prove the fact. Is anything known about it?

zac510
zac510

Funny that we all thought they were geniuses in 2014 after coming out with the log exhaust manifold. They definitely backtracked on that.

godlameroso

Power_VANO wrote:I have been on tests in Barcelona and Mercedes powered cars sounded quite different from others, particularly on start-finish straightline in DRS zone. They sounded in higher frequency like older V8s.

It may very well be a specially designed exhaust but I thought they increased engine RPMs but could not find any on-boards to prove the fact. Is anything known about it?
That frequency is the result of aggressive ignition timing, the closer the piston fires to TDC the higher the pitch. The further from TDC the piston is when it fires, the lower the pitch. Much like in a sliding trombone, the further you move the slide the deeper the pitch. Or the longer pipes on an organ resulting in deeper lower pitch sound than the shorter ones.
Saishū kōnā

toraabe
toraabe

It is more an acoustic adjustment of the manifold length to create different standing frequencies. You can use those frequencies to help the engine breathe better.