Sparkplug (ignition of F1 engines)

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Carlos

I read riff_raff's rotary valve engine Patent 505349. Although the website:
http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/P ... alveIC.htm
Describes it as a vertical rotary valve, without drawings, the page was just text, I understand it as a horizontal cylinder above a combustion chamber, that can be used on a 2 or 4 stroke engine, depending on what speed it rotates. The horizontal cylinder is hollow, it is divided, it is not just a hollow bore. The interior of the cylinder is also machined like a port tract on both the intake and exhaust tract. The advantage over most other systems, which are basically hollow cylinders is that a port is machined into the rotating cylinder which allows for a directed, elbowed, low angle port into and out of the cylinder, on both of the sides this would produce very good intake and exhaust port geometry and shape of the combustion chamber and much better flow. It would also allow reflected wave tuning of the intake and exhaust tracts. The rotary valve site said his design has a vertical valve body, text, no illustrations. Now imagination is literally defined as the ability to visualize objects within one's consciousness, in the 'mind's eye', I cannot visualize a cube or sphere, nothing at all (although I dream in sleep); since there are no pictures and I cannot visualize it, I interpret the text as meaning a horizontal rotary valve. The idea of internal bearings seems clever, as does the ceramic coating plus the use of multiple seals, on the shaft and at the port lips entering and exiting the combustion chamber, cooling jackets are provided to control the temperature of the rotary valve barrel, which is divided , intake from exhaust sides, with the intake charge entering one end, the exhaust exiting through the other.

I've either got to invent something or have kids ... so I can leave something good behind for future generations :wink:

EDIT - If I have misunderstood riff_raff's patent (very likely) and acidentally come up with something worthy of a new patent ... be sure to PM me. Something new under the sun, is seldom seen even though fully illuminated, :idea: :shock: :D :idea:

riff_raff

Re: Sparkplug (ignition of F1 engines)

Carlos,

My rotary valve is a horizontal axis design. The axis of rotation may be either parallel or perpendicular to the crank axis, depending on the number of cylinders and/or how you wish to drive the valve.

It is a single valve per cylinder. That means it functions as both an intake and exhaust valve. I felt this was beneficial, since the alternating intake and exhaust flow help to keep the valve temps reasonable. In addition, the exhaust side uses oil flow for supplemental cooling. Also, the valve bore is surrounded by a coolant jacket to assist with heat transfer out of the valve, and to provide a satisfactory environment for the valve's gas seals.

The valve has an arrangement of sliding gas seals to seal the combustion chamber. These seals require some measure of lubrication. They are designed to run in boundary lubrication conditions, similar to conventional piston rings. This gas seal lubrication issue is one area of my design that I never fully resolved. The easy solution here would have been to employ a total loss lube system (like 2-strokes or wankels), but for a production, emission-controlled engine that would have been unacceptable.

My rotary valve arrangement has a very nice, compact, centrally located single plug chamber design, with excellent squish and intake swirl characteristics. It also has valve time-area and flow coefficients that far exceed anything possible with poppet valves. And since it is a (balanced) rotary device, there are no practical limits as far as operating speed are concerned. It would seem to be an ideal valve for a high speed racing engine, but I don't know of any racing series where the rules would permit it.

I had lots of fun working on this idea and I learned a lot in the process. But unfortunately, I also spent a lot of money and time on it (probably too much!) and in the end the idea went nowhere. My patent rights expired three years ago, so anyone who wishes to may use the idea.

The one conclusion I came to in the end was this: Regardless of what you think of the camshaft and poppet valve arrangement, it has hundreds of millions of dollars and countless engineering/test hours devoted to its development. Until you are prepared to do the same for the rotary valve, you will never succeed in displacing the poppet valve with a rotary valve.

Good luck to you.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

Carlos

Updates on Laser Ignition: Sources suggest laser ignition could may be on Ford production cars as soon as 2011: Related Articles.
http://www.laserfocusworld.com/articles/366468
http://www.liv.ac.uk/researchintelligen ... nition.htm

autogyro

Carlos wrote:Updates on Laser Ignition: Sources suggest laser ignition could may be on Ford production cars as soon as 2011: Related Articles.
http://www.laserfocusworld.com/articles/366468
http://www.liv.ac.uk/researchintelligen ... nition.htm
Types of ignition in non CI Ice's IMO make little difference other than from improvements in timing and speed of operation to match high revs.
Multi spark ignition or any multi point ignition can perhaps improve initial ignition but it is the fuel vapor characteristics that define the flame propagation needs and over ignition always ends in detonation.