Air flow, and electrostatic resistance.

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Conceptual

Air flow, and electrostatic resistance.

Watching the replay of the Monaco GP, I had a thought. I see that the cars have to drive over grounding straps so as not to spark while refueling. I was told that the spark comes from the static electric charge developed on the surface of the racecar while it is pushing through the air.

My question is this:

Does the stagnant static electric fields on the bodywork of the car cause an impact on the airflow around the racecar, and if so, is it better to have controlled areas of static electrical build-up, or none at all?

Thanks for any info!

Chris

syguy

Re: Air flow, and electrostatic resistance.

During a discussion on "The air wing" we touched on ionic discharge (similar to electrostatics) and its potential roll in F1, maybe it's worth a look.
Symscape, Computer-Aided Engineering for all

SoundMan

yes, you could use ionic wind engines to significantly reduce drag.

therefore you could increase the downforce levels of a car, whilst still keeping the same overall drag. very interesting idea, that i'm surprised hasn’t been adopted in F1 or any form of racing, or commercial aviation. we know its possible, we know how to do it, just a bit well funded research and it could be made commercially feasible.

plus, with the introduction of KERS, F1 cars now have a ready supply of electricity that doesnt take from the engine power......

Ogami musashi

plasma fundamental science is maybe in good shape but applying of it is difficult in harsh conditions.

Instabilities and power supply are problems.

But FIA is interested in it for 2011 applied on leading edges of wings and inlets.