McLaren Paddle Shift

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
McMacca
McMacca

McLaren Paddle Shift

Guys,

I See Tomba has a few ideas on this in the development blogs, just thought I 'd see if anyone has any ideas?

Could it just be a single paddle with a grove in the back?

If it is an engine map changing paddle, who's a clever boy?

bazanaius
bazanaius

Re: McLaren Paddle Shift

Autosport claims, as Tomba has, that this enables torque maps to be changed at the same time as gears, without contravening the rules that say they can't be achieved by a gear shift.
This seems to make sense - especially as it seems the clutch paddles are still there (effectively a six paddle wheel).

B

nae
nae

if you saw lewis during the race you see him making very deliberate
1 finger up changes, lifting his finger up first then clicking, with
his right index finger
..?

bhall
bhall

During the German Grand Prix, someone from SPEED, I think either Steve Matchett or Peter Windsor, said that Mercedes had found some allowable improvement in the engine, and that that was the reason for McLaren's recent surge. It makes sense that this would be that improvement.

Moanlower

nae wrote:if you saw lewis during the race you see him making very deliberate
1 finger up changes, lifting his finger up first then clicking, with
his right index finger
I think thats more of a habbit just before changing gears, it's also helpfull for good timing.
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

McMacca
McMacca

So If i have this right, you start off in 1st with an engine map which gives a low torque curve, then as you change up the map changes towards a higher top end type curve. Ergo when downshifting, you can soften the power curve and give good tractability.

What do you guys think, 2/3/6 different settings for engine map?

Moanlower

McMacca wrote:So If i have this right, you start off in 1st with an engine map which gives a low torque curve, then as you change up the map changes towards a higher top end type curve. Ergo when downshifting, you can soften the power curve and give good tractability.

What do you guys think, 2/3/6 different settings for engine map?
Deal ! :mrgreen:

Giblet
Giblet

I noticed these last year (or maybe it was earlier this one), and I just figured they were there for when your hands are higher up the wheel, or redundant in case of breakage on the main ones.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

cookty
cookty

Giblet i dunno weither you are on about the hand clutch paddles?

Steven
Owner

bhallg2k wrote:During the German Grand Prix, someone from SPEED, I think either Steve Matchett or Peter Windsor, said that Mercedes had found some allowable improvement in the engine, and that that was the reason for McLaren's recent surge. It makes sense that this would be that improvement.
Speed is wrong, simple as that.

I have asked Scarbs and he confirms the torque system is there since the beginning of the season, and as of Silverstone, Renault have a similar system on their steering wheel.

bazanaius
bazanaius

Yeah, I think the speed addition has come as a consequence of the recent introduction of new lubricants in the engine developed by Mobil1 (there was an article on the fornt page).
This was the same reason attributed to Ferrari's apparent 20hp power advantage since the start of the seaon, and so it makes sense that when McLaren did it their power increased also (although it was interesting to note that LH mentioned when he jumped out of the Massa slipstream on Sunday, the ferrari hadn't reached top speed yet, whereas the McL had. Possibly a gear ratio effect I guess...)

B

jwatson
jwatson

McMacca wrote:Guys,

I See Tomba has a few ideas on this in the development blogs, just thought I 'd see if anyone has any ideas?

Could it just be a single paddle with a grove in the back?

If it is an engine map changing paddle, who's a clever boy?
Its a single paddle with a groove in the back. It helps the drivers to get a feel for where they are pressing the paddle, if that makes sense. I held one at the brooklands doulbe twelve festival a few weeks ago.

Henne

If these paddles are for torque control, then why are there 4 paddles? I just don't see the point in using 2 paddles on each side while they could also make one paddle. So we would have 4 paddles in total (including the gear paddles) not the 6 paddles we see now.

Or am I missing the point here?

johny

I recall some onboard shots and drivers only used the top paddle to change gears so that's not a "feeling giving groove".

If it's a torque control they need 6 paddles, like they have now (2 gear shifts, 2 torque control, 2 clutch).

Moanlower

If i'm not mistaken, 2 gear shifters and 2 infinitely adjustable torque adjusters which can raise or lower the torque in every gear at any rpm from within a predefined engine map. And maybe the same paddles used as clutch during launch.