Schumacher's 5th gear in Spain`94

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
jddh1

Re: Schumacher's 5th gear in Spain`94

xpensive wrote:You should know jddh1, living in Lawyer-town? :wink:
LOL
Sometimes I think if I should get a law degree as well. Perhaps you're talking to the future FIA president here. I, at least, will have some engineering knowledge.

jddh1

djones wrote:
jddh1 wrote:Yep, the Shelby GT 500. No lie. Just do a little research and you'll see for yourself.
No way does it do 0-170 in 10 seconds, let alone with it setting off in 5th.
I take back the 10 second thing. But it does reach 170 from 0 starting in 5th.
I think it does 170 in 10s if properly raced though.

xpensive

I was next to type K***y-ville, when my hebrew-speaking mistress very elegantly tapped me on the shoulder. :wink:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

djones

jddh1 wrote:
djones wrote:
jddh1 wrote:Yep, the Shelby GT 500. No lie. Just do a little research and you'll see for yourself.
Not a chance in hell. Not even a Veyron does 0-170 MPH it in 10 seconds!!

Its a big speed is that. Are you sure it wasnt KPH?

I can beleive it does 0-170 in 5th from a standstill but not in any sort of half decent time.

To put it in perspective how 'slow' a GT500 is, here is a tuned one producing 600 BHP (allegedly)....

Getting beat by an M5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQuy_nejvBI

Here it is getting bent over backwards by a 550BHP Gallardo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OR4t8hd ... re=channel

And here again getting beat by a family saloon car...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFrNWS1c ... re=channel

Maybe Americans calculate their BHP differently but they sure as hell arnt the same as a European or Japanese BHP :D

chillerguy

Somewhere in a box in my basement I have this complete race on videotape. I've watched it since and as I recall Schumacher credited his Mercedes sportscar days for being able to adjust his lines to remain competitive with only one gear. They also played in car footage and you could tell he wasn't shifting and he was winding the crap out of it down the front straight.

DM0407

If its the car I'm thinking of above (I will find a youtube video when Im home) the m5board people race it against things like an E92 M3 and it gets its pants pulled down!!!

Cars with less power pull away from it in a rolling start race. I honestly doubt it even has 450 BHP let alone 500+.
http://www.mustangblog.com/blog/1017339 ... er-ratings

According to this episode of Top Gear, they got about 460 to the wheels. I would guess that the perfectly tuned engine at FORD make 501hp just so they could advertise "500HP!"

Giblet

This thread started out great as a technical thread brought up amongst a slurry of crappy messages about opinions about who is better.

It's just degraded into a battle about a cars numbers, that should be easy to look up.

Please don't be shooting out numbers that make no sense and were obviously made up to prove a point. I can't believe anyone even needs to research when someone says a Mustang can do 0-170 in 10 second, let alone in 1 gear.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Agerasia

jddh1 wrote:
djones wrote:
That would be just under half a mile.
"badically pressuring rosnerg " Ringo 05/10/2014

Ray

jddh1 wrote: I take back the 10 second thing. But it does reach 170 from 0 starting in 5th.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Fe ... eId=118839

12.82@113 at a dragstrip. Can't do 0-170 in ten seconds. Sorry.

I really love watching the chalk talks with Steve Matchett on SpeedTV. He really gives the viewers that little bit extra that us US fans want.

Does anyone know what the rev range and torque was on Schumis' engine in that car. I'm not that knowledgeable about that time period of F1 and I was wondering just how much power it would take to pull that car out of some of those corners. Is it just keeping up momentum? It's really great to have an onboard shot of that because it's awesome to sit and watch in awe of that kind of driving.

jddh1

Ray wrote:
jddh1 wrote: I take back the 10 second thing. But it does reach 170 from 0 starting in 5th.

Well, we can put that to rest then. I was wrong and must have looked at the times of a tuned car. I just wish I remember the source.

adam2007

jddh1 wrote:
Ray wrote:

Well, we can put that to rest then. I was wrong and must have looked at the times of a tuned car. I just wish I remember the source.
lol dont be silly

sldizz

I for one remember this race and the "stuck in 5th gear" story very well, which very few people around the paddock at the time bought. Wider power band or not, lapping one sec slower than with a healthy gearbox should be totally impossible.
Let alone starting in 5th gear, get outa here!

But it was a good fishing-story, which helped building the Schumacher-myth in his early days and Briatore loved it.
Yep, that's what I'm talking about.
Just think. A second!!!
It seems absolutely impossible to me... And still no one can explain it to me. Just "it happened so forget 'bout it...".

sldizz

He did not race 2/3 of the race in 5th but 1/3. His 1:26s time from lap 40 was before the lap 41 gearbox problem.

I predict lapping at 1:30s / 1:31s (4-5 secs off Hill´s peace) wich is still impresive and near the peace of the back makers.

He changed the ratios in the corners and having low torque availiability on slow corners he was able the step on the gas earlier without spinning problems. Lower top speed in the long straight was another problem, but that happens once in a lap in Barcelona.
The problem is the fact that it is being proved that Schumi had those problems with the gearbox much earlier (about lap 21).
So what was he doing during laps 21-41?
I can believe Michael's pace at 1.30 or little faster, but just a second slower... Sorry [-X

Giblet

"Problem's with the gearbox" is so vague and general, it could simply mean it was getting very hot. Maybe it was slipping out of gear sometimes.

Reagardless, the 5th gear thing happened on lap 41, not 21-40.

Michael had a brilliant drive that was blown out of proportion so quickly it never got seriously questioned.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

xpensive

This was shortly after Senna's tragic death, while Prost, Piquet and Mansell had recently left as well. The advent of a next-generation myth was as a concequence welcomed by most, or at least not argued against with much ferocity.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"