2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
FW17

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

The rules will increase maximum normally-aspirated engine capacity from 3.7-litres to 5-litres, but there will be restrictions on the fuel flow, which will force manufacturers to aim for more efficient engines.
In the last turbo era 1.5L turbo engine was equated to 3.0L normally aspirated engine, now a 1.6L is equated to a 5.0L engine. Does that make sense?

King Six

I'm expecting lawsuits if the FIA postpone/cancel the new engines again, great way to really piss off the last remaining scraps of manufacturers left in F1, especially manufacturers like Renault who already complained about the costs of switching from L4 to V6. The whole system would fall apart, they really can't afford to mess around any more with the future engines. I know people would rather have 24 identical Cosworth dinosaur V12's on the grid but it's just not F1.

rjsa

Cosworth never ran V12s in F1. They did run V8s , V6sT and V10s.

And if The V6Ts are dropped now, It will be with the engine manufacturer's blessing. Even if they play the betrayed husband role in the process.

pgfpro

matt21 wrote:Audi has made a mono-turbo diesel for their LMP1.

The solution looks quite intresting for F1 too.
The exhaust layout has to be changed to comply with the rules and VTG has to be removed.

The electronics seem to be quite sophisticated as there is no drop in boost during shifting.

Sorry for the poor translation, but I did not find an english article on this topic.

http://translate.google.de/translate?sl ... ml&act=url
What a work of art!!!

"Audi" and "Honeywell Garrett" Major Kudos!!!
building the perfect beast

matt21

WilliamsF1 wrote:
The rules will increase maximum normally-aspirated engine capacity from 3.7-litres to 5-litres, but there will be restrictions on the fuel flow, which will force manufacturers to aim for more efficient engines.
In the last turbo era 1.5L turbo engine was equated to 3.0L normally aspirated engine, now a 1.6L is equated to a 5.0L engine. Does that make sense?
IMO the even don´t need a displacement limit. Just limit the amount of energy to be used and let the people go and design what they think is the best thing.

raymondu999

Amount of energy, or amount of fuel?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

xpensive

Right matt21, imagine giving each car 5 GJ to play with, be that olive oil, rocket-fuel or whatever!

I'd go for a 5 liter turboed V8 on methanol with 20% nitro, at least the pole would be mine!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

matt21

raymondu999 wrote:Amount of energy, or amount of fuel?
Amount of energy.
Then they are forced to use the available amount as good as possible and you don´t need pop-off-valves, restricted fuel-flow or whatever.
Further the allowed amount for an complete event could be reduced year by year.

Forza

Computer-generated image of new P.U.R.E V-6 turbo motor
Source

P.U.R.E's technical department is led by Gilles Simon and is based at the former Toyota Motorsport GmbH (TMG) F1 facility in Cologne, Germany. More about P.U.R.E - F1 technical facility

garrett

Great image! Thanx!

On the picture it looks like the exhaust manifolds seem to be flanged on both sides of the turbocharger instead of a single 6 in 1 manifold. How does this work?
The pipe on the left side is the connection to the intercooler, isn´t it?

Seems the PURE project is on time. And Pollock and his crew will leave no stone unturned if the V6 should be postponed again.

eyalynf1

Very cool,

They don't show how the two Motor Generator (MG) Units will be driven. A shaft from the the compressor through to the front side of the block? A gear connecting to an MG below the turbine compressor housing (over heating issues?)? Very curious to see more...

eyalynf1

Forza wrote:Computer-generated image of new P.U.R.E V-6 turbo motor
Source

P.U.R.E's technical department is led by Gilles Simon and is based at the former Toyota Motorsport GmbH (TMG) F1 facility in Cologne, Germany. More about P.U.R.E - F1 technical facility
I also wonder if there are dual outlets on the compressor housing as well, to feed two intercoolers. This would mean the drivers right cylinder bank would also have a pipe not seen in this image. It seems having the cylinder bank manifolds supplied sequentially as implied by the image as presented would make for poorly balanced/tuned power pulses.

Ugh... the more I look at it, the less I like it. It seems bulky with a high cross sectional area and a high center of gravity. Looks to be a packaging nightmare in terms of getting tight body work behind the drivers shoulders. Any reason that tuned intake headers with one pipe for each cylinder wouldn't work?

xpensive

That turbo layout looks surprisingly similar to the Audi upstream on this thread, which makes me wonder, PURE coincidence?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

piast9

xpensive wrote:That turbo layout looks surprisingly similar to the Audi upstream on this thread, which makes me wonder, PURE coincidence?
Similar? In what way? That both have turbos? Audi has exhaust manifold at the top and inlet at the bottom while PURE is other way around.