2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
aleks_ader

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Holm86 wrote:Is it really possible to make the engine out of extreme materials?? Are all the materials allowed not specified in the regulations??? Must take a look at that later.
As i remember there is pretty strict and similar like in serial sports car industry. So no massive titanium parts, differnd materials windows for conrods, pistons etc. Also you could add extreme exotic coatings from "super"nano-materials in prescribed thickness.

And also i think this is just a joke from Ferrari to make fun VIP press audience.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

aleks_ader

techF1LES wrote:
timbo wrote:Interesting, what does 059/3 mean? It should have been 057 but they skipped two numbers and there's this /3 thing. Perhaps it is a third iteration of V6 engine?
057: the name of the engine which development was stopped by engine freeze in 2007
058: discontinued I-4 engine project based on original regulations for 2013 season

...so this is why new power unit is called 059, although not sure about "/3" ...maybe already third version?
Are this you assumptions? Or you read some ware in press from technical media like magazines, web etc.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Bomber_Pilot

Holm86 wrote:Is it really possible to make the engine out of extreme materials?? Are all the materials allowed not specified in the regulations??? Must take a look at that later.
Materials allowed to be used are quite well defined. This is just a short outtake. For full reg, concerning materials go to http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/ ... -12-09.pdf , page 26.

Materials and construction

General :
5.16.1Unless explicitly permitted for a specific application, the following materials may not be used anywhere on the power unit :
a) Magnesium based alloys.
b) Metal Matrix Composites (MMC’s).
c) Intermetallic materials.
d) Alloys containing more than 5% by weight of Iridium or Rhenium.
e) Copper based alloys containing more than 2.75% Beryllium.
f) Any other alloy class containing more than 0.25% Beryllium.
g) Tungsten base alloys.
h) Ceramics and ceramic matrix composites.

The restrictions in Article 5.16.1 do not apply to coatings provided the total coating thickness does not exceed 25% of the section thickness of the underlying base material in all axes. In all cases, other than under Article 5.16.3(b), the relevant coating must not exceed 0.8mm.

The restrictions in Article 5.16.1(h) do not apply to the following applications :
a) Any component whose primary purpose is for electrical or thermal insulation.
b) Any coating whose primary purpose is for thermal insulation of the outside of the exhaust system.

Magnesium based alloys, where permitted, must be available on a non-exclusive basis and under normal commercial terms to all competitors. Only those alloys covered by ISO16220 and approved by the FIA may be used.

techF1LES

aleks_ader wrote:
techF1LES wrote:
timbo wrote:Interesting, what does 059/3 mean? It should have been 057 but they skipped two numbers and there's this /3 thing. Perhaps it is a third iteration of V6 engine?
057: the name of the engine which development was stopped by engine freeze in 2007
058: discontinued I-4 engine project based on original regulations for 2013 season

...so this is why new power unit is called 059, although not sure about "/3" ...maybe already third version?
Are this you assumptions? Or you read some ware in press from technical media like magazines, web etc.
Sorry, forgot the source. I've read it in this AutoSprint article: http://autosprint.corrieredellosport.it ... 593/12241/ ...assuming this is what journos were told in Maranello today.

aleks_ader

Omnicorse

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... e-da-corsa
from that article wrote:Department of Logistics Ferrari will not. Thankfully! Horse team has set up for journalists a stunning 3D presentation engine 6-cylinder turbo that is called 059/3 and for the first time he heard the sound of the engine over the counter. Compared to other simulations that have heard before, the 'unity of the Horse has a full sound from motor racing.
EDIT:
And thanx @techF1les for link

ringo

I'm sure there's a minimum weight for the engine.
For Sure!!

Blanchimont

ringo wrote:I'm sure there's a minimum weight for the engine.
Yes, the weight and the COG above the reference plane is limited. But if you would make a very light engine you can play around with the horizontal location of the COG. And if you manage to shift the weight of the engine forward, that would obviously reduce your moment of intertia around the vertical axis and could improve the handling of the car.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

ringo

You wont be able to do much of that realistically.
I could understand if the appendages are super light, but there's not much to do with the cylinder heads and the block.
A heavy crank shaft girder, a super light block and super light heads could stay above minimum weight, but the COG may be lower than ruled. So the distribution of mass is basically what will restrict the use of certain materials.
I'm expecting some crazy use of materials on the appendages as I say.
For Sure!!

Holm86

Bomber_Pilot wrote:
Materials allowed to be used are quite well defined. This is just a short outtake. For full reg, concerning materials go to http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/ ... -12-09.pdf , page 26.

Materials and construction

General :
5.16.1Unless explicitly permitted for a specific application, the following materials may not be used anywhere on the power unit :
a) Magnesium based alloys.
b) Metal Matrix Composites (MMC’s).
c) Intermetallic materials.
d) Alloys containing more than 5% by weight of Iridium or Rhenium.
e) Copper based alloys containing more than 2.75% Beryllium.
f) Any other alloy class containing more than 0.25% Beryllium.
g) Tungsten base alloys.
h) Ceramics and ceramic matrix composites.

The restrictions in Article 5.16.1 do not apply to coatings provided the total coating thickness does not exceed 25% of the section thickness of the underlying base material in all axes. In all cases, other than under Article 5.16.3(b), the relevant coating must not exceed 0.8mm.

The restrictions in Article 5.16.1(h) do not apply to the following applications :
a) Any component whose primary purpose is for electrical or thermal insulation.
b) Any coating whose primary purpose is for thermal insulation of the outside of the exhaust system.

Magnesium based alloys, where permitted, must be available on a non-exclusive basis and under normal commercial terms to all competitors. Only those alloys covered by ISO16220 and approved by the FIA may be used.
That's what I thought. A cant see how Ferrari are supposed to make an engine out of super exotic materials. Probably just marketing propaganda.

Huntresa

The 3 maybe is cause its their 3rd Turbo engine ? :P I dont know if it is their 3rd tho but maybe...

aleks_ader

Huntresa wrote:The 3 maybe is cause its their 3rd Turbo engine ? :P I dont know if it is their 3rd tho but maybe...
No you most kidinng! Ferrari in history already build a whole more than just 3 turbo engine, just TURBO era itselfe was decate long.

You most think nuber of engine developments after latest engine freeze? This is in my opinion 3rd interation (1 year each)? Anyway that engine coding is in Ferrari nothing new they give almost identical marks like for 035/5, 036/2 or 032 (on picture belove).

diemaster

Good video.
its about of 059/3's power unit.

pics are from the video

http://formula1.ferrari.com/news/presen ... power-unit

timbo

So the general layout is pretty much the same as on Renault.

diemaster

last engine is turbo v6? May be?

timbo

diemaster wrote:last engine is turbo v6? May be?

http://666kb.com/i/ck98dvbpo4ivtwihd.png
Most likely old V6. Modern engines typically have unfinished aluminium color.