2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
itix

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Oh god, here come the wild conspiracy theories. Just because we don't understand why they are ahead does not mean they have a secret card up their sleeve. Most probably they have just refined the way everything interact between the different components of the PU. The have benched the engine much more than their opposition, done more simulations, tried more variables and have a more complete picture of what is required from the PU. This new formula is after all a pretty complex setup with many variables and possibilities.

Going by pure top speed, the new Ferrari PU seem to be on par with the merc PU so probably the case is just that Renault and Honda suck (sorry fans of Renault and Honda if I stepped on your toes). They have not done their home work properly/have not had the funds to do their home work properly. I'd say the main reason Merc is so much ahead is because the chassis dept made a deal with the devil.

Water injection does not make power, quite the opposite. The reason you water inject engines is to reduce NOx emissions (at least in all the applications I have ever heard of, I do not claim to know everything about engines hahaha). Combusting Lub oil will not give a massive increase in power as it is not designed to have a high calorific value or even burn quickly for that matter. Sure, engines can rev to bits on lub oil, it is known to happen, but those engines are not under load (and this gives off smoke like nothing you will have seen).

I could maaaybe understand cheating with the fuel flow. That you could probably do by manipulating the signal from the sensor or bypass the sensor slightly or stuff like that. This is small stuff you can hide.

All the rest makes no sense to me... I should add though that I am only a simple engineer for ships engines so I have no practical experience with formula engines and I have been wrong before, hahahaha.
Massive rally fan... have fallen out of love with F1 yet again and have thus migrated

FW17

Ferrari apparently has a new hybrid engine test bed which is rumored to have cost 40 million euros

Anyone has any details of this ultra expensive test bed

Juzh

WilliamsF1 wrote:Ferrari apparently has a new hybrid engine test bed which is rumored to have cost 40 million euros

Anyone has any details of this ultra expensive test bed
I believe it's similar to what AVL uses, but probably more F1 specific:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114311

Ghost_Ring

If I understand well all the news regarding the fuel flow, they stick to 100kg/h at the captor.

But, they "stock" it in a way, after the captor, in order to use far more than 100kg/h for the engine injection.
Maybe the trick to Ferrari 's huge progress?

The FIA will now use more controls at différent places to ensure the limit is respected.
Curious to see what it will change.

mikeerfol

Ghost_Ring wrote:If I understand well all the news regarding the fuel flow, they stick to 100kg/h at the captor.

But, they "stock" it in a way, after the captor, in order to use far more than 100kg/h for the engine injection.
Maybe the trick to Ferrari 's huge progress?

The FIA will now use more controls at différent places to ensure the limit is respected.
Curious to see what it will change.
So is this going to start from Malaysia onwards or China?

Richard

There is a stand alone thread discussing the new regs for fuel flow :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =4&t=21765

alexx_88

I know that this topic has some of the engine gurus of this forum and I wanted to get your attention on an issue that, in my opinion, hasn't received enough attention: the degree of performance that a customer team can achieve from their PU, compared to a works team.

This discussion was started in a wrong thread and evolved from there: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 1&start=45.

My take is that, even leaving packaging aside, there is bound to be a large degree of difference in the experience that the works team has with these PUs, compared to the customer teams. Given the large degree of complexity in this field, to what extent do you think that a customer team can extract the same performance from a limited number of PUs that is allowed to have, compared to the company that actually designed and tunes the PUs for the works team?

mrluke

The PU manufacturer gives each customer team their own dedicated staff that are embedded within the customer team to manage and look after the PU.

I would expect differences to be achieved under the mapping / software side where the manufacturer probably supplies a base map for the teams to develop. However that actual hardware of the PU is going to be exactly the same between manufacturer and customer unless they have signed some sort of "value" deal which doesnt entitle them to upgrades.

gruntguru

A key element not available to the customer teams is the fuel. The manufacturer team uses fuel that was developed in conjunction with the ICE. Conversely the ICE itself was developed in conjunction with the fuel development chemists.
je suis charlie

gruntguru

Hi James Robot. It seems you have mis-spelt your name.
je suis charlie

ringo

Now do we really beleive that the engines are that more powerfull when we look at the fastest laps and also qualifying laps so far?
I know the cars are a little heavier and the tyres a different... but lets look back on all the crazy power figures that were bandied about, and how much more power people thought Merc were gonna have over Ferrari..
For Sure!!

Sevach

ringo wrote:Now do we really beleive that the engines are that more powerfull when we look at the fastest laps and also qualifying laps so far?
I know the cars are a little heavier and the tyres a different... but lets look back on all the crazy power figures that were bandied about, and how much more power people thought Merc were gonna have over Ferrari..
If you mean the 50+ hp Mercedes 2015 spec was suppoused to have over the 2014 one...

No it doesn't look likely.

dren

Maybe so in qualifying. Hamilton had Vettel by almost a second.
Honda!

rjsa

Just WOW!