2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

They can approve the part. It is legal.
I think my two injector theory explains the two fuel injector tenperatures that is seen on the ferrari telemetry. Two temeprstures for two different injectors.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

gruntguru

I think Wuzak's point is approving two different injectors for the one engine makes it obvious that the engine has more than one injector per cylinder.
je suis charlie

PlatinumZealot

I understood him clearly. But history has shown all sorts of disputably illegal parts approved by the FIA without any fuss. There was double diffusers, slotted rear wings, side pod and floor gills (single enclosed opening yer right!), Force India nostrils - to name a few. These innovations basically break the spirit of the rules, but not the word of the rules - and most of the time they are approved. So I am saying why cannot this one make it? Are we forgetting already that Ross Brawn had a huge hand in writing these very same engine regs? Dare I say, he and Mercedes created the loophole! The wording is just too suspicious. Why leave things so open by saying "One direct injector per cylinder" instead of "one injector per cylinder." ??

Then words from Cyril Abiteboul; "In the middle of last year, we (Renault) saw the light. We know what Mercedes and Ferrari are doing." Now, obviously this is big revelation for him to say he saw the light... they found the loophole too!
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 27 Apr 2016, 18:14, edited 2 times in total.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

wuzak

Did Brawn have anything whatsoever to do with writing the engine regulations?

Frank_

my interpretation would be an injector mounted inside the perforated thimble, with a pintle that sprays the pilot 3% (lambda 1) upwards into the thimble for the spark to ignite, and then progressively sprays the remaining lambda 2 fuel at the flame jets, downwards/outwards into the cylinder near tdc ?
edit, like suggested in the Ferrari thead

ReoPTy

mercedes started 2 years before others R&D on new engine, with help of twice staff and money, knowing later freezing regulation would give them 1 or 2 titles!

since freeze blown up, thier "Fia gift non competition edge" will hopefully fade out

NL_Fer

I have read an article about how the change spray paterns of injectors. What if they can create an injector which only blows the first puff of fuel in the pre chamber and the rest in de main chamber.

So a few miliseconds opening will only fuel the pre chamber and longer opening will fuel thenmain chamber.

bill shoe

Somewhere in the bowels of the Bernie/FIA headquarters (yes, they are both owned by the same Caymen Islands parent company, don't kid yourself :wink: ) there is a Machiavellian technical writer who takes the first draft of every proposed rule and carefully rewrites it to be vague and ambiguous.

This writer has the miraculous ability to change forms. When he or she is in front of Bernie or Darth Vadar (Bernie is the father, Vadar the son) they appear as an evil and highly effective individual that does as ordered with razor-sharp effectiveness. When they are in front of the public they change form and appear as a well intentioned committee that follows lots of formal procedures and aims to represent the interests of many stake-holders. This form is sometimes called the "Formula One Strategy Group". Well played sir, very well played.

markc

NL_Fer wrote:I have read an article about how the change spray paterns of injectors. What if they can create an injector which only blows the first puff of fuel in the pre chamber and the rest in de main chamber.

So a few miliseconds opening will only fuel the pre chamber and longer opening will fuel thenmain chamber.
Or an injector that sprays out via holes making 6 lobes of fuel (for want of a number) one of which goes to the pre-chamber (PC) and the other holes/ports/lobes of fuel to the combustion chamber (CC), no need for anything more complex... The hole/port to the PC could also be sized smaller in diameter to get this 3% lobe to PC and 97% to CC mix that's been bandied about.

The pre-chamber is aerated as part of the 4 stroke cycle - as we can't have more than 4 valves:
FIA rulez wrote: 5.1.8 Engines must have two inlet and two exhaust valves per cylinder.
Only reciprocating poppet valves with axial displacement are permitted.
The sealing interface between the moving valve component and the stationary engine
component must be circular
Presumably the holes in the pre-chamber are sufficient to allow this...

NL_Fer

For the most optimal operation, you want the main spray during intake stroke, to create an as homogenous possible (lean) mixture. Then during compression, just before TDC they fuel the pre-chamber and ignite it.

An injector spraying in both chambers, would fuel the main chamber again before TDC and create a more stratified mixture.

It would be interresting to create an injector which can be controlled to fuel the main and pre chamber independent, without breaching the single injctor rule

Frank_

these engine are common rail/DI tho surely ? spraying the fuel in as it burns

FrukostScones

only plus 5 KG fuel in 2017...

105 KG for the race...

So lift and coast will definitely stay with those new draggy and heavy cars.

Sad, gone those nice topspeeds.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 33831.html
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Juzh

FrukostScones wrote:only plus 5 KG fuel in 2017...

105 KG for the race...

So lift and coast will definitely stay with those new draggy and heavy cars.

Sad, gone those nice topspeeds.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 33831.html
5 kg will definitely not be enough. At the very best things will remain similar to what we have now.

gruntguru

Frank_ wrote:these engine are common rail/DI tho surely ? spraying the fuel in as it burns
They are common rail DI - Yes.
Spraying the fuel as it burns - No.
You need to read the last few pages of this thread including Mahle TJI.
je suis charlie

Frank_

gruntguru wrote:
Frank_ wrote:these engine are common rail/DI tho surely ? spraying the fuel in as it burns
They are common rail DI - Yes.
Spraying the fuel as it burns - No.
You need to read the last few pages of this thread including Mahle TJI.
ahh, thanks gg, i had assumed that in order to achieve 45%+ thermal efficiency they had to keep the flamefront away from the cylinder walls, like a small swirling ball of fire continuously fed with fuel from tdc onwards (that was my understanding of current diesel engines)