2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Brian Coat

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

PhillipM: "I think that's probably just a fairly thick layer of TiN because it has great IR reflectivity and good thermal insulation too ... "

EDITED OUT:"That's what it is".

I'm not sure why it would be preferable to something like YSZ which is far less conductive and has widespread use as a thermal barrier coating.

Anyone know?
Last edited by Brian Coat on 21 Aug 2016, 20:41, edited 2 times in total.

PhillipM

The reflectivity of the top crown possibly helps as much as the insulation does, it's not that far away from Gold in terms of IR reflection

Brian Coat

Why is that?

In a gasoline engine, won't the radiation heat transfer be small compared to the turbulent-convention-plus-conduction heat transfer?

hardingfv32

I vote against the sample pictured being TiN coated. The surface finish of TiN is dependent on the finish of the base surface. To get the gloss shown the base would need to be polished to a mirror finish. That is highly unlikely in this case.

Brian

godlameroso

It's a ceramic coating, probably sprayed over an anodized piston with a moly coating on the skirt.
Saishū kōnā

Brian Coat

hardingfv32 wrote:I vote against the sample pictured being TiN coated. The surface finish of TiN is dependent on the finish of the base surface. To get the gloss shown the base would need to be polished to a mirror finish. That is highly unlikely in this case.

Brian
That's a very good point.

Maybe it's just gold coloured Cerakote or similar?

It's off a tuned up Holden turbo so we shouldn't lose too much sleep figuring it out ...

PlatinumZealot

Looks like body paint to me... :?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

andone89

Not sure if this is the right place to post my question, but here goes nothing :D

I wanted to ask about the promised higher revving engines in 2017 and how are they going to achieve this. I am reffering to this quote "Complaints from fans, and some drivers, over the quieter noise generated by the V6 engines has lingered for two years now and the FIA confirmed there would be "higher revving engines and increased noise".

A 'sound generator' which is not "purely natural" is also in the pipeline to crank up the volume, though it may not be introduced until 2018." on http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... le-changes website.

Correct me if I am wrong, but increased weight and drag will also increase fuel consumption next year, which SHOULD not result in higher revving engines or am I completely missing the point here?

Just curious :)

Jolle

andone89 wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to post my question, but here goes nothing :D

I wanted to ask about the promised higher revving engines in 2017 and how are they going to achieve this. I am reffering to this quote "Complaints from fans, and some drivers, over the quieter noise generated by the V6 engines has lingered for two years now and the FIA confirmed there would be "higher revving engines and increased noise".

A 'sound generator' which is not "purely natural" is also in the pipeline to crank up the volume, though it may not be introduced until 2018." on http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... le-changes website.

Correct me if I am wrong, but increased weight and drag will also increase fuel consumption next year, which SHOULD not result in higher revving engines or am I completely missing the point here?

Just curious :)
Almost...

Under current regs, the fuel flow of 100kg/h is from 10.500 rpm upwards. This means the ICE has maximum efficiency at exact 10.500rpm and they fall back to this rpm when shifting up.

Power doesn't increase from that point onwards. A simple way would be to shift this point to 15.000 rpm, but that would mean a complete different engine and turbo design or a smaller engine (like a 1.1 or something)

andone89

So I was right by thinking that something didn't quite add up there :D

Thanks for your quick response.

F1NAC

I'm watching FP2 now and is it possible that Palmer (because I'm sure that he turned the engine off) started running again with MGU K(if it's connected to crank with gear)?

OO7
OO7

We keep hearing about the importance of combustion designs in the ICE and it seems to be the most numerous type of development in the PU. Would these new high tech combustion techniques such as TJI, provide a significant benefit in a high revving NA F1 engine (20000 rpm) or is its use largely restricted to lower revving forced induction designs?
Last edited by OO7 on 05 Sep 2016, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.

Jolle

Blaze1 wrote:We keep hearing about the importance of combustion designs in the ICE and it seems to be the most numerous type of development in the PU. Would these new high tech combustion techniques such as TJI, provide a significant benefit in a high revving NA F1 engine (20000 rpm) or is its use largely restricted to lower revving force induction designs?
Well, how I see it, it's been reversed. In the pre 2014 engines it was how to maximise the amount of O2 (air) available in the combustion chamber, fuel wasn't so much the problem. Much of the mix could be done even before it entered the chamber (with all kind of spray nozzles). A bit of extra fuel didn't matter too much.

Now air is not the problem. Because of the turbo charging it's unlimited (in theory) but it's the fuel that needs to be burned as effectively as possible and it's only injected right into the chamber, so all of the magic happens there.

Brian Coat

Yes, that is correct and also the 20K n/a engine is not knock limited.

However, combustion was a big challenge on the high rpm n/a due to the very large bore and high CR and valve clearance cut outs all adding up to a very difficult chamber shape. With no knock limit, this was the limit on CR. Hence the use of splayed valves etc.

So some of the present technology could well have been useful.

I think that was an interesting question by Blaze1.

sosic2121

I searched a bit but haven't found the answer.

Does anyone have a clue about compression ratio in these engines?
I guess it's much higher then it would be possible in "similar road engine" with that level of boost.

Also, if compression ratio is pushed higher and higher, is that leaving less energy to be harvested by MGU-H?