2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
godlameroso

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

I wonder how much the bare block heads and rotating assembly cost by themselves.

If an engine deal is ~€30,000,000 for 5 power units, that's ~€6,000,000 each. How much of that is the ICE itself, I read somewhere the ERS and MGUs take almost half, that would put the ICE around more or less the same as a V8 with KERS?

Out of those €3,000,000 I imagine a nice chunk goes to the sensors, fuel supply system, pumps, pipes, cooling, injectors, exhaust, etc.
Saishū kōnā

bill shoe

godlameroso wrote:I wonder how much the bare block heads and rotating assembly cost by themselves.

If an engine deal is ~€30,000,000 for 5 power units, that's ~€6,000,000 each. How much of that is the ICE itself, I read somewhere the ERS and MGUs take almost half, that would put the ICE around more or less the same as a V8 with KERS?

Out of those €3,000,000 I imagine a nice chunk goes to the sensors, fuel supply system, pumps, pipes, cooling, injectors, exhaust, etc.
The cost of one incremental block, heads and rotating assembly would likely be a very very small fraction of €3,000,000, probably under €100,000. The price of many things, F1 powertrain supply included, doesn't have much relation to the incremental cost of creating it. Especially in 2017, when the dimensions, weights, etc. of these components are limited by rule.

The vast majority of spending goes to R&D, which has no particular relation to the incremental cost of making one more unit.

Ray Okay

With 2017 rules stating a standing start after each safetycar, could cooling become more of an issue again?
Not sure how it will work? If the lapped cars still need to overtake the SC, the front runners might be idling in
their gridslots for very long time waiting for back markers to complete their laps. Any thoughts?

godlameroso

You can lower combustion temps with EGR also as efficient as these cars are I'm pretty sure they can idle for 5 or 6 minutes with no ill effect.
Saishū kōnā

Ray Okay

Thank you, i dindt know f1 cars could reroute exhaust gasses for lower burn temps. I know the technology is used to meet emmision standards on road cars, i just figured F1 cars where not equiped with it.

godlameroso

I don't know if they do that exactly but it can be designed into cam timing.
Saishū kōnā

roon

It's pursuable under the current rules, but I've yet to see anything resembling EGR pipework in any of the engine photos, nor heard any mention of it in the press.

trinidefender

godlameroso wrote:I don't know if they do that exactly but it can be designed into cam timing.
Variable cam timing is still banned I believe

Ray Okay

it is still banned:

5.9.2 Variable valve timing and variable valve lift profile systems are not permitted.

5.10.2 There may only be one direct injector per cylinder and no injectors are permitted upstream of
the intake valves or downstream of the exhaust valves.

7.6 Cooling systems :
The cooling systems of the power unit, including that of the charge air, must not intentionally
make use of the latent heat of vaporisation of any fluid with the exception of fuel for the
normal purpose of combustion in the engine as described in Article 5.14.

8.2.5 Pneumatic valve pressure may only be controlled via a passive mechanical regulator or from
the ECU and its operation will be monitored by the ECU.

But i guess they can just run it on fewer cilinders, or maybe they have passive cooling methods?

Brian Coat

Just an observation. Air is also a good dilutant for slowing/cooling combustion and is in abundant supply if you are able to run run lean.

Tommy Cookers

Ray Okay wrote: .......the front runners might be idling in
their gridslots for very long time waiting for back markers to complete their laps. Any thoughts?
idling as such is presumably based on cylinder cutting and effectively open throttles as with NA F1
with the current engines it would seem to be no problem

I once idled a rented diesel Ford for nearly 2 hrs without any electrics to drive the rad fan (waiting for a recovery truck)
it didn't overheat, unfortunately

godlameroso

trinidefender wrote:
godlameroso wrote:I don't know if they do that exactly but it can be designed into cam timing.
Variable cam timing is still banned I believe
Even with fixed timing, at low engine speeds you can have some EGR with overlap. Especially off boost as the nearly slow moving turbine creates back pressure. Not that f1 cars are designed to sit in traffic.
Saishū kōnā

Ray Okay

I think that's probably the case
5.14.2 Other than engine sump breather gases, exhaust gas recirculation, and fuel for the normal purpose of combustion in the engine, the spraying of any substance into the engine intake air is forbidden.

PlatinumZealot

A lot of manaufacturers have ditched EGR in their designs. Street car EGR was aimed at reducing emissions. Once engines got better you began to see a lack of EGR piping on them. Example.. Toyota 3SFE to Toyota 1AZ engines. No EGR in the latter. EGR can be done internally thru cam timing... But in the case of the first version 1AZ engine there was no variable cam timing.. So i assume that they found a way to achieve efficiency and emmisions goals without EGR.

I cant see any reason for F1 to use "forced" EGR when detonation is such a threat to the engine.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

hemichromis

Does anyone have any info on whether the 2017 engines will have sound generators or not?