Renault's great starts

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
mep

Re: Renault's great starts

As far as I calculated they are traction limited up to at least 200km/h.
I observed the drivers activate KERS above this speed so I rate the result as approved.

ringo

what's interesting though is that KERS maximum output is 80hp, but there is no rule stating that 80hp has to be released all the time.

The KERS can be programed to release say 10hp in second gear, right after changing from first at the launch. It can be programmed in a way it keeps tyres at the grip limit throughout the rev range during the run down to the first corner.
Not saying it's being done, but it can be.
For Sure!!

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

The Ferrari 2011 steering wheel only shows a button for KERS. Seems to be a on or off situation. That is not to say that there are not driver controlled settings for KERS output levels. It would seem odd to allow the KERS output ot be related to the gear selection when that is not the case for the throttle.

Brian

ringo

Well it can't be as a motor has different torque characteristics than an engine. But whoe know, they have a dial that can control the harvesting rate, so maybe there is a dial for discharge rate.
For Sure!!

Fil

Which is exactly what I said on the previous page.
Fil wrote:1) KERS output can be adjusted by the driver. The steering wheels have dials specifically for this purpose.
See Sauber's wheel as an example.. They have a dial - KERS Release Map - on the right, with at least 12 different output maps to utilise KERS.
(Thanks to zgred for posting this earlier)
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Im have also heard that kers cannot be used under 100km/h, but cant find a source. Maybe the rule has changed?

Richard
Richard

010010011010 wrote:Im have also heard that kers cannot be used under 100km/h, but cant find a source. Maybe the rule has changed?
For the avoidance of doubt there has never been an FIA rule about a min speed for KERS. However, there are laws of physics that use of KERS at slow speeds is a less effective use of the available energy than at higher speeds.

Sayshina
Sayshina

Just_a_fan wrote:As for KERS off the line, no, the rules don't allow it below 100kph off the line, presumably for this very reason - it would be the perfect launch system.
I also have never seen that rule. More to the point, how exactly would it make "the perfect launch system"? As it presently works that is. You launch with 80hp, which is clearly not enough to do anything, so you're still forced to get the vast majority of your launch torque from the engine. You want desperately to get out of the transient range of your engine, and using kers at launch will just keep you in it longer. And once you are no longer traction limited and can make use of unlimited power, you can't use your kers for extra power because you've already used it all up.

How does that help you do anything?

strad

I'm not arguing,,but IF there is no rule, and as I said, I can't find it..WHY then has Matchett and others said so many times, specificly, that it CAN'T or is against the rules to use the KERS below 100kph?
Not just that it's not a good idea, but that you can't.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

mep

Maybe there was a rule during 2009.
I can remember of something like this during that time.

Btw: I really wonder why the Sauber steering wheel has 12 possible adjustments for KERS alone. Any idea's what they are for?

Pingguest
Pingguest

As far as I know, drivers can't use KERS until 100 km/h, because the SECU disables it.

Richard
Richard

Pingguest wrote:As far as I know, drivers can't use KERS until 100 km/h, because the SECU disables it.
That is incorrect, as noted several times already on this thread.

strad

:?: not to be disrespectful Richard but up against at least 4 talking heads I would like more than your say so. I've said I can't find any written rule myself..but I can't understand how Matchett and other so called experts can get it so wrong. :?:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

mep wrote:Maybe there was a rule during 2009.
I can remember of something like this during that time.

Btw: I really wonder why the Sauber steering wheel has 12 possible adjustments for KERS alone. Any idea's what they are for?
Its diffrent KERS maps i belive. There are 4 diffrent KERS maps, each for diffrent purposes, there is a start map that has 3 diffrent power settings a tire phase 1 map that also have 3 diffrent settings and phase 2 setting as well with 3 diffrent power settings, and a wet weather setting whitch has 2 settings and a pits setting, whitch is effectivly putting the KERS into charge only mode for the in lap before a pit stop, it also puts the KERS system into retardation as well. Ferarri also have a 2 way SPDT toggle switch that puts KERS off.

Each team manages KERS diffrently.

The thing i have heard that puts the Renault in what can only be decribed as a bullet out of a gun for starts is the weight distrubution as its more rearward now they have mapped their engines diffrently for this, make them have the same shot out of a gun the R24 to R26 and R28 had as they had a rearward weight ballance that gave them the advantage with the torque of the engine in starts.

I think its something to do with the weight ballance personally.

l4mbch0ps
l4mbch0ps

The weight balance is mandated for the whole field to within 1% for 2011.