Renault's great starts

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
piston

Re: Renault's great starts

Can't be the weight distribution.

I don't know if it is still allowed to switch the engine-maps with every gear. But after the Traction Control disappeared the teams started to do it. So shutting down some cylinders in first gear wouldn't be a big deal.

But I don't know if they can still do it.

hardingfv32

The only integration between engine and transmission is for shifting.

Brian

strad

So shutting down some cylinders in first gear wouldn't be a big deal.
But THAT would be Launch Control which is banned.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Caito

piston wrote:Can't be the weight distribution.

I don't know if it is still allowed to switch the engine-maps with every gear. But after the Traction Control disappeared the teams started to do it. So shutting down some cylinders in first gear wouldn't be a big deal.

But I don't know if they can still do it.

They can change map with a switch, so it would be hard to do it while changing gears. But I do know they have a special map for the starts.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

BreezyRacer

I remember hearing something about a special air clutch on the Renaults but for the live of me I cannot remember from where. Just look to drag racing for state of the art clutching and how they launch 3,000 to 5,000 hp with them. They ain't slow ..

raymondu999

l4mbch0ps wrote:The weight balance is mandated for the whole field to within 1% for 2011.
Couldn't it maybe, be that the Renault has the fuel tank over the rear axle? So at the start, with full tanks, they would have maybe 70-80 more KG loaded onto the rear axle.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Richard

The fuel tank location is specified in the rules, has to be behind the driver's seat

raymondu999

But does it specify it where it needs to be relative to both axles?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

hardingfv32

Weight distribution modification using the fuel load is creative idea. If we disregard the physical limitation for the moment, you are still straddled with the issue of poor balance around the rest of the track. It would seem a poor compromise just to gain a better start. The Renault's laps are as fast as any of the front runners after their starts.

Brian

G-Rock

It could be simple as a smooth predictable clutch takeup vs the other teams that may have a poor/grabby clutch.

You could see that with Vettels start in the last race as he fumbled the first few seconds after the green flag and had to engage KERS early.
--------------------------------------------------------

l4mbch0ps

They can change map with a switch, so it would be hard to do it while changing gears. But I do know they have a special map for the starts.
They change maps like they change gears - by hitting paddles. One shifts gears, one shifts maps. On the Mclaren, when it was first introduced, right after the TC ban - the shifting paddles were physically arranged in such a way that activating them activated the map paddle simultaneously. Not very difficult even to activate the two paddles at the same time with just manual control.

But we KNOW that Mclaren runs this system, so Renault would have to have developed it to a muuuuch higher level of refinement in order for it to create such a big delta on starts.

raymondu999

I thought that system was banned shortly afterwards
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

sink

I'm pretty sure the start map they initiate on their parade lap cannot be changed until 90sec after the start. So at the first lap they all sacrifice some performance to be able to have a decent getaway.

Edit: Afaik, the torque curve comes earlier instead of peaking in the last thousand of the rpms.

hardingfv32

I wonder if these maps include the fly-by-wire throttle controls/application curves? I would say a better responding engine at low RPMs is the main goal. The driver is the one in charge of traction control.

Brian

Mysticf1

At one stage i remember Renault had a system of leavers where by before lining up to their starting position on the grid the driver could find the grab point of the clutch with a leaver and lock that position in, then on the start release another leaver that would use that position...whether that system is still used i dont know...i just remember it being the reason for their great starts during a previous season.