P.U.R.E Appointment

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: P.U.R.E. Appointment

noname wrote:
xpensive wrote:I for one never thougt that P.U.R.E was for real, where do they have their office and shop?
http://www.teos-engineering.com/

Personally I think more important is who's working for them.
So this is why Simon is going to work for them, wonder where to money is coming from and what their plans for a chassis?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Pierce89

noname wrote:
xpensive wrote:I for one never thougt that P.U.R.E was for real, where do they have their office and shop?

P.U.R.E will not compete. All you need to know is the name of their founder. Craig Pollock started the abortion than even Shumi and Merc can't straighten out.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

xpensive wrote:
noname wrote:

So this is why Simon is going to work for them, wonder where to money is coming from and what their plans for a chassis?
I think Gilles Simone will regret going to P.U.R.E. I just believe something strange will happen with this company, probably along the lines of USF1
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

xpensive
xpensive

For a new team to develop their own engine is very ambious, almost ridicilous to be blunt.

cossie
cossie

with Pollack involved in this it may be USF1 vaporware

xpensive
xpensive

When he tried in 99, he had a ton of tobacco money but whent nowhere, with Adrian Reynard be a gang of Cart-people and they built him a Cart-car. For BAT and Jaquues, it must have been an utter disaster, even with Honda engines.

munudeges
munudeges

xpensive wrote:When he tried in 99, he had a ton of tobacco money but whent nowhere, with Adrian Reynard be a gang of Cart-people and they built him a Cart-car. For BAT and Jaquues, it must have been an utter disaster, even with Honda engines.
I think Jacques regretted that period, but he couldn't really admit it. He described the team that resulted as very 'political' and it seems to continue to this day.

It just sounds like the old boy's club grabbing some money while the music keeps going.

cossie
cossie

Taken from Autosport

What a Bunch of bull Hockey, most of the so called development and build would be Mechachrome, and he's not going to rob anyone of costumer's not even Cosworth, he's pissed off all the teams so who the hell is he going to sell to, USf1, :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pollock baffled by FIA's decision to change F1 engine rules for 2014
By Pablo Elizalde and Dieter Rencken Wednesday, August 3rd 2011, 16:56 GMT

Craig Pollock says he was baffled by the FIA's decision to change its plans over engine regulations from the 2014 Formula 1 season.

Formula 1 was expected to switch to four-cylinder turbo engines from the 2013 season but, after some teams expressed their unhappiness about the plans, the ruling body announced they would be replaced by six-cylinder power units from 2014.

The move was confirmed in late June, nearly two months after Pollock's PURE engine company had announced plans to enter Formula 1 in 2013.

Pollock said he was mystified by the change and admitted PURE's plans were affected by it.

"When the four-cylinder rules were changed it was like I had literally been kicked in the lower parts," Pollock told AUTOSPORT.

"I just thought how can, when you have a World Motor Sport Council unanimous decision, that be overturned? I never thought that could happen. But the proof is, we are in F1 and it can happen.

"It is the second time that something like this has happened to me. The first time was when we had dual-branding with British American Tobacco, which was a Lucky Strike and a 555 car. There was nothing in the rules, and because of BAT pressure, I was pressured into taking them [the FIA] to court.

"We did that, and we lost - even though there was nothing in the rules. It was called an initiation into an exclusive club, so there is no way we would go down that road again. We will just get on with it and work out what is best for the future."

Pollock also expressed concerns about how the V6 units will increase costs in comparison with four-cylinder engines originally planned.

"What I cannot understand is that a lot of people in this sport are saying with 'the V6, it is great, it is fantastic, we are going to be able to contain our costs'," he said.

"Well, it doesn't contain costs. You have got four cylinders and you are going up to six cylinders, so automatically you have six pistons, more valves and it is going to cost more."

He added: "It changes the business plan substantially. When you go to investors and you go with your business plan, you go with one that has been worked out on your project, and the technical people can go forward with a four cylinder engine that is a straight four, it is a turbo, it has a KERS, so it costs X.

"And now, what we are having to do, is go back to the same people and say, 'sorry. That business plan was false, it is now X plus a certain bit more.' So we have had to totally remake our business plan. It is the same business but different amounts."

He said that despite the rule changes the project is still on schedule.

"It has been up and down. Initially we were very, very happy and we were designing a four-cylinder engine, which he had finished designing and were ready to push the button and start manufacturing.

"Then a unanimous decision was changed, and F1 switched to a V6. But we are well into that as well. We have hired all the necessary people for the design and development, we are on it and we are on schedule."

Pollock said he expects to announce its first customers during the 2012 season, but he reckons there is no hurry.

"The reality is they don't need to sign until 2013. Now we are in 2011, so I would say any time within the next year," he said.

The Scot also claimed he was not concerned about the possibility of not finding customers for his engines, as he reckons it will be an attractive offer for teams.

"If at the beginning of 2013 we had no customers, then we would have to put a big question mark over the project. But normally speaking it doesn't bother me - it goes down to strategy and how you can convince the teams on the technical side that the engine is going to be performant, and also if it is going to be cost-effective compared to the rest."

xpensive
xpensive

If it wasn't for Gilles Simon, if that is confirmed, I would doubt the seriousness in the entire thing, finding customers in F1 is not xactly something you do with advertising. This is something Craig Pollock should know, why I wonder what this is all about?

If this is serious, ending up like some 2014 Motori Moderni is probably the best they can hope for.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Is his reasoning of higher costs for there being 6 instead of 4 cylinders, sound?
I ask because a F20C Honda engine with 4 cylinders costs a bomb to produce, more than most V6's and even some V8's.
Surely if you had a deicated team, the only extra expense would be material(minor), so why even mention it?

Political?
More could have been done.
David Purley

xpensive
xpensive

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Is his reasoning of higher costs for there being 6 instead of 4 cylinders, sound?
I ask because a F20C Honda engine with 4 cylinders costs a bomb to produce, more than most V6's and even some V8's.
Surely if you had a deicated team, the only extra expense would be material(minor), so why even mention it?

Political?
It is obviously more xpensive to produce an engine with two cylinder-heads rather than one, six pistons rather than four and a 24-valve train rather than a 16. But not to a full 3:2 relation, as there will be a difference in mass between components.

Everything else equal of course.

marcush.
marcush.

I´d think the actual production of cars and parts is not driving the costs that much nowadays.
your 1 cyl basic research does not really care how many cyl you will end up with ..so the extra money is more like having to throw away your work done already and start from scratch .erasing any head start pure would have benefitted from..

JohnsonsEvilTwin

I dont get why Pollock would moan about it.

Being 4cylinder or 6 will all present its own unique set of problems. You deal with this set of problems with what you have...Why will it cost more to produce a 6 cylinder over a 4 other than in extra materials?
Forget about the 4 already being developed...it wasnt signed off by the FIA, and we know the reason 4 cylinders were proposed...to bring VW to the table.

Perhaps Pollock should send a letter of discontent to Wolfsburg?
More could have been done.
David Purley

xpensive
xpensive

marcush. wrote:I´d think the actual production of cars and parts is not driving the costs that much nowadays.
Oh but it is indeed marcush, in particular nowadays when development costs are zero after homologization, production cost is basically all you have. Testing, logistics and what not is basically equal for all types of engines, why that doesn't count.

@JET; How pathetic, they tailored the new regs for a manufacturer which wasn't in F1, wonder who came up with that idea?

munudeges
munudeges

The way I read Simon's defection to PURE, without any form of gardening leave, was as a slap in the face to those who turfed out the four banger idea. Of course what he's seen is going to be taken with him. How absurd.

They have Simon, Mecachrome and IFPEN on board, apparently, but goodness knows what customers they'll have. They need a good five to break even. Motori Moderni? At least they got their engine in a car. If Pollock is involved though, clear the area.