Moto GP 2016.

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
J.A.W.

Re: Moto GP 2016.

Mugello was a bit of a go..

VR got pole, but blew an engine in pre-race, & yet another while contesting the lead with JL, tough luck, or what?

Full credit to Lorenzo for holding off both VR, & MM, who rode his whatsits off trying, but with his Honda not up to it,
being pipped at the post by JL, after leading out of the final corner following some real 'banzai' moves..

AI ( Iannone, not a roboputer) had start-launch-clutch issues that cost him, but battled his way to last spot on the box.
AI got fastest lap, & was speed trapped at 354 km/h, so - but for the poor start, he might've got top step..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

turbof1

J.A.W. wrote:Mugello was a bit of a go..

VR got pole, but blew an engine in pre-race, & yet another while contesting the lead with JL, tough luck, or what?

Full credit to Lorenzo for holding off both VR, & MM, who rode his whatsits off trying, but with his Honda not up to it,
being pipped at the post by JL, after leading out of the final corner following some real 'banzai' moves..

AI ( Iannone, not a roboputer) had start-launch-clutch issues that cost him, but battled his way to last spot on the box.
AI got fastest lap, & was speed trapped at 354 km/h, so - but for the poor start, he might've got top step..
Virtual Reality did not blew his engine in the pre-race, that was Lorenzo:
http://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/m ... up-739216/

Please get the facts straight. The way you make it sound is as if Rossi stressed the engine too much, while both Yamaha riders had the issue. It was quite hot around the track, so perhaps a part was not designed to cope with this kind of heat.
#AeroFrodo

Juzh

Honda really is dogshit on acceleration. I mean really, what is going on?

turbof1

Juzh wrote:Honda really is dogshit on acceleration. I mean really, what is going on?
The issue is they can't keep the front wheel planted into the ground under maximum acceleration.
#AeroFrodo

Andres125sx

turbof1 wrote:
Juzh wrote:Honda really is dogshit on acceleration. I mean really, what is going on?
The issue is they can't keep the front wheel planted into the ground under maximum acceleration.
I thought the problem was the new standard ECU wich ruined Honda traction?

I´ve been quite disconnected from MotoGP lately, so please correct me if I´m wrong

Andres125sx

About the race, Marquez fighting with his bike while chasing Lorenzo was an spectacle, I was not sure if he´d crash, take Jorge out with him, or win, but man, that´s the sort of rider I enjoy watching who never surrender and always give everything he can to fight for victory =D>

About Mugello public, pathetic. Thank you Valentino for adding fuel to the fire you started yourself, now spanish riders are booed even if they provide a great spectacle like we saw yesterday. Luckily they´re too weakling to reach the podium with their tomatoes :lol: :lol:

turbof1

Andres125sx wrote:
turbof1 wrote:
I thought the problem was the new standard ECU wich ruined Honda traction?

I´ve been quite disconnected from MotoGP lately, so please correct me if I´m wrong
Basically the same. The way the ECU works or used to work is that when the wheel treatens to lift, it cuts off throttle to avoid the wheelie. It's basically traction control. Perfectly allowed, for the record.

However, rumors have it that Honda always had issues in this area, which further got excagerbated by the standarized ECU.
#AeroFrodo

J.A.W.

turbof1 wrote:
J.A.W. wrote:Mugello was a bit of a go..

Please get the facts straight. The way you make it sound is as if Rossi stressed the engine too much, while both Yamaha riders had the issue. It was quite hot around the track, so perhaps a part was not designed to cope with this kind of heat.
Yeah, T-F1, I was going by what info the fairly useless TV commentary gave.. but it was two Yamahas that dropped their guts..
& AFAIR, since Moto GP went 4T - they don't/won't give details of mechanical failures.. so, maybe - a bit past their 'best by date'?
Or revving 'em real hard, to keep the Hondas at bay, & not lose too much to the super-fast Ducatis?

turbof1

That's a much better conclusion. I think I picked up somewhere the engines were revving too hard because the front tyre did not provide enough grip hence resistance in friction, which allowed the engine to rev higher. It is likely another consequence from the different tyre and standarized ECU.
#AeroFrodo

Andres125sx

J.A.W. wrote:Or revving 'em real hard, to keep the Hondas at bay, & not lose too much to the super-fast Ducatis?
If my memory serve me well, Yamaha were 1-2 before Rossi´s engine blew up, so even when your reasoning is good for many situations, it does not apply in this case because Yamaha is the bike to beat this season, so no need to assume any risk with the engine.

If you meant Rossi tried to push his engine a little bit more trying to beat Lorenzo at his home GP, then that´d be a different story

turbof1

The issue is mostly with the ECU/tyres. They were doing the same thing with the engine last year, only back then the combination of more grip and more sophisticated traction control kept the engine from revving too high. Nowadays the wheel spins at a higher speed, which causes less resistance on the engine. You can easily compare this to when you drive up a steep slooping hill, where your engines will rev dramatically less.

The issue also manifests itself when nearing top speed. The Italian GP has quite a long straight and coupled with quite hot temperatures exposed this weakness of which they previously did not know about.
#AeroFrodo

Andres125sx

Sorry but I don´t understand what you mean, prevent the engine from revving too high?

With 4t engines that´s as easy to limit as lowering the ignition cut-off (is that the term in english?), so I guess I´ve not understood the problem.... :oops:

Sonador

The engine was over revving because of wheelspin @ 340 kph :shock: and because Rossi had a constant slipstream behind Lorenzo, he was something like 5 kph faster on the main straight. That puts a lot of strain on an engine.
Motorsport did write an article about it.

It sucks for the chamionship :(

http://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/y ... es-739881/

*Al above is speculation off course *

J.A.W.

Sonador wrote:The engine was over revving because of wheelspin @ 340 kph...
Well, maybe they could use some aero-downforce winglets mounted to bear down on the rear axle?

turbof1

Andres125sx wrote:Sorry but I don´t understand what you mean, prevent the engine from revving too high?

With 4t engines that´s as easy to limit as lowering the ignition cut-off (is that the term in english?), so I guess I´ve not understood the problem.... :oops:
Yes, but cutting the ignition off means you loose power. You only want to do that when there is actually loss of traction (wheelspin). And like in this case, that's often a very fine line.

The bottomline issue is that Yamaha simply did not have any hint of this happening. Next round this will more then likely be fixed.
#AeroFrodo