Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Andres125sx

Re: Formula E

I think none in this forum is so positive about electric cars as myself, but to reach power levels of F1 with similar endurance (300km) we´ll need three or four new generations of improved energy density batteries, or close to 10x current energy density, probably even more

But yes, if F1 continue using ICEs FE will not need to match F1 numbers to become the new pinnacle of motorsports

mzso

Andres125sx wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 11:22
I think none in this forum is so positive about electric cars as myself, but to reach power levels of F1 with similar endurance (300km) we´ll need three or four new generations of improved energy density batteries, or close to 10x current energy density, probably even more

But yes, if F1 continue using ICEs FE will not need to match F1 numbers to become the new pinnacle of motorsports
Or, you know, right now with butane and direct-carbon fuel cells. And it can be phased out as battery energy density improves.

bill shoe

Andres125sx wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 11:22

Current Formula car (F1, Indycar, etc.) rules basically limit speed through inefficiency (simplification but generally true). So probably some technical room to get F1 laptimes without F1 levels of power or energy consumption. Maybe this trend will meet the battery energy-density trend somewhere in the middle.

etusch

Formula Wrong wrote:
05 Mar 2017, 20:03
Andres125sx wrote:
FW17 wrote:Why Formula E has not added a bike race to the package?

Electric Bikes not relevant?

http://www.sportrider.com/sites/sportri ... k=bM7Fk1Cv
Maybe because it is Formula E instead of Moto E :mrgreen:
Actually, a "Moto E" series doesn't sound like a bad idea at all (though they probably shouldn't drive on FE tracks given that they're street circuits)
changing bike midpoint of race is more similar for motogp racers and fans.
I wonder if a bike were two wheel drive, will it be has more grip like 4wd cars.

deltaecho5

Moto E GP would be a great idea...

I had an opportunity in the Americas to watch an HSR exhibition race with one biker outfitted with Li-On batteries...he pulled in the marshal stand at 10 (where my family was flagging), and promptly caught on fire.

Hopefully they will fix that part first... :P

Also, liquid mag slurry batteries may be the future of racing...the electrolyte solution is ferrous metal sludge that can be pumped out when discharged and new charged slurry pumped in thus renewing the battery.

If they ever get to refueling batteries in this way for racing, then "engines" may be replaced by "motors" after all..
⏱ Timekeeper by day, F1 Driver by night (whilst sleeping of course...)

mzso

deltaecho5 wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 00:24
Also, liquid mag slurry batteries may be the future of racing...the electrolyte solution is ferrous metal sludge that can be pumped out when discharged and new charged slurry pumped in thus renewing the battery.

If they ever get to refueling batteries in this way for racing, then "engines" may be replaced by "motors" after all..
I wouldn't get my hopes up. There was only one notable startup who worked on this (24m with MIT), but they gave up: https://qz.com/433131/the-story-of-the- ... g-as-well/

Of they're passing it off as a "revolution".

deltaecho5

mzso wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 08:28
I wouldn't get my hopes up. [Edit]
Thanks for that article! Similiar to what I was thinking when I mentioned that, but I didn't find the part about replacing the fluid, only using via an onboard tank system...

Another article expands that idea and makes more sense for racing and production vehicles...(not sure it you had heard about this part, but thought I would pass it along...)

From the article-

"Another potential advantage is that in vehicle applications, such a system would permit the possibility of simply “refueling” the battery by pumping out the liquid slurry and pumping in a fresh, fully charged replacement, or by swapping out the tanks like tires at a pit stop, while still preserving the option of simply recharging the existing material when time permits."

This in essence would be just like a refueling pit stop...

Full article here: http://news.mit.edu/2011/flow-batteries-0606
⏱ Timekeeper by day, F1 Driver by night (whilst sleeping of course...)

mzso

deltaecho5 wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 13:28
Another article expands that idea and makes more sense for racing and production vehicles...(not sure it you had heard about this part, but thought I would pass it along...)This in essence would be just like a refueling pit stop...
It's about the same people who decided it's not economical, abandoned the approach. Also their goal was to reach the energy density of li-ion. Which I doubt they ever did. Also the mentioned problems with the pumping. But even if they did reach the energy density of li-ion, what's de advantage? In races they'd probably engineer a battery swap system that is much faster than pumping sludge in and out. For road cars battery charging speed is of a much lesser significance especially with the new generation of 200+ mile range cars.

Anyways, since they stopped developing this concept guessing about how good it could have been is pretty pointless.

notsofast

There's a Formula E race in New York City this weekend. If it turns out to be successful, it could be a problem for Liberty's ambitions to popularize F1 in the US. There was talk about an F1 race in the NY area a few years ago. Why would NY (or any town in that area) agree to a noisy F1 race if you can get the same impact with a Formula E race? Let's see what happens this weekend.

J.A.W.

notsofast wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 17:17
There's a Formula E race in New York City this weekend. If it turns out to be successful, it could be a problem for Liberty's ambitions to popularize F1 in the US. There was talk about an F1 race in the NY area a few years ago. Why would NY (or any town in that area) agree to a noisy F1 race if you can get the same impact with a Formula E race? Let's see what happens this weekend.
"Same impact" - hardly..
& while the "noise" produced by F-E mills is uninspiring, F1 engine sound - is for sure, part of the ambience..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

cplchanb

https://www.motorsport.com/dtm/news/mer ... ry-934184/

Merc has also jumped off the DTM boat and into FE!

On another note, does FE have any plans in the future to use slicks instead of those comfort tires?

Samraj_official

cplchanb wrote:https://www.motorsport.com/dtm/news/mer ... ry-934184/

Merc has also jumped off the DTM boat and into FE!

On another note, does FE have any plans in the future to use slicks instead of those comfort tires?
Well these "comfort" tires are all weather times,they work in anytype of surface (tarmac,cement) and anytype of weather (wet,bonedry,dusty) they are not seriously dependant on temperature,even though you could see some of this in FE Qualifying and these tires are also independent of Tyre heater/Blankets etc ,

I'm pretty sure Slick tires can never do all of those,all at the same time

Phil

I know the technical stuff is really interesting, but are there some people here just eager to watch the finale this Saturday?

I was a bit surprised to see the Championship leader (Buemi) miss New York and his commanding lead in the championship reduced to 10 points from 35 (which IMO is not that bad, considering 58 points were on the table). This would mean that a 3rd place would still suffice for Buemi if DiGrassi wins (without fastest lap).

Having watched all the races so far, I do have to say that one has to be impressed with how Buemi is driving so far...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

mzso

Phil wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 13:37
I know the technical stuff is really interesting, but are there some people here just eager to watch the finale this Saturday?

I was a bit surprised to see the Championship leader (Buemi) miss New York and his commanding lead in the championship reduced to 10 points from 35 (which IMO is not that bad, considering 58 points were on the table). This would mean that a 3rd place would still suffice for Buemi if DiGrassi wins (without fastest lap).

Having watched all the races so far, I do have to say that one has to be impressed with how Buemi is driving so far...
There will be a double race at the weekend. So that certainly won't be enough on saturday. Buemi needs to gain 19 points on DiGrassi to be the champion.

Phil

There is? I could only find the one race on Saturday at 4 pm local time...

Edit: nevermind, i must have been blind... :D
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter