Delta wing car concept

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
rjsa

Re: Delta wing car concept

They are bound by no rules.

mrluke

rjsa wrote:It can't brake and turn. Just watch it losing the front end. The harder the braking goes, the straighter the cars goes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6I-UThjabk

Yeah, yeah, he situation is stupid, there should be a whole track yellow, why the guy just parked mid track and all that. But none of it negates the fact that THIS IS NOT the future of motorsport.
Just looks like target fixation to me, don't think its a fundamental car problem.

wesley123

rjsa wrote:It can't brake and turn. Just watch it losing the front end. The harder the braking goes, the straighter the cars goes
Just like any other car will when you brake mid-corner. I'm not sure how that is criticism for the Deltawing.

To me it looks like the driver didn't see the stopped car until the last second
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

rjsa

wesley123 wrote:
Just like any other car will when you brake mid-corner. I'm not sure how that is criticism for the Deltawing.

To me it looks like the driver didn't see the stopped car until the last second
It spun ahead of him the lap before, and he was warned that the car was there by his spotter and pit.

machin

rjsa wrote:They are bound by no rules.
It's worse than that: in IMSA they are BOP'ed up to a equal performance. So they just turn up with a crap car, (with ground effect floor), and then IMSA says "we know you're crap, but we'll let you run with a much higher power:weight ratio than your opponents so you can be equal in performance". Throw that thing in a proper "open" championship and it'll struggle.
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

proteus

About this deltawings i started to think about car itself. I found some information about it, but not all i wanted so i apologise if the idea i will write is stupid, or allready implemented in some kind.

Front is meant for steering and rear for propulsion, but what if the steering would be implemented on rear wheels, while front would be stationary? Since rear wheels are far more apart, wider, driven by the engine and positioned at the rear, would not the car gain significant advantage in cornering, like forklifts which can turn sharply in confined areas.

I would really apreciate opinions/facts about trying this concept of someone more properly educated than myself.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

extrater

proteus wrote:...
Front is meant for steering and rear for propulsion, but what if the steering would be implemented on rear wheels, while front would be stationary? Since rear wheels are far more apart, wider, driven by the engine and positioned at the rear, would not the car gain significant advantage in cornering, like forklifts which can turn sharply in confined areas.
For speeds above 40 km/h we will get too much oversteer.

Maybe it would be better to use four wheels steering. Opposing direction for very small speeds, same direction (but a lot smaller angle) for higher one.
https://books.google.pl/books?id=113OPT ... ng&f=false

P.S.

machin wrote:It's worse than that: in IMSA they are BOP'ed up to a equal performance.
that's indeed an argument. With that in mind you can not take that thing serious.

But I still have sympathy to the Idea. What I really like is the fact that it can provide equal lap times with significant less fuel and tires. And before "machin" is pointing again at the power, weight, aero stuff etc. I know about the advantages and that it is no indication to a better concept.

But to remind how the concept was born... A while ago, when gas has become very expensive, the motorsport industry was nervous about its future. Bowlby was thinking about a solution reducing the aerodynamic drag of the car. He has understood that more than half the drag of an IndyCar was made by the front tires, so he pushed them together. It was an attempt reducing drag/fuel and that has been successfull to me.

If we want to know what kind of concept could be a good racecar, than we have to allow more technical freedom (btw, in early race days the Morgan Three Wheeler has been banned because it was outperforming all four wheeler). But more freedom rules is the opposite of what we see developing in the motorsport world.