New IndyCar concepts break cover

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
RabMcH

Re: Indy Car 2012 Concepts Break Cover

Well since the aero kits will be made independently, if a designer deems it to be unnecessary then they will probably remove it. Those cars are after all models and not genuine.

cossie

leave it the league and Dullarra to one up the old crapwagon,

rjsa

Dear lord they had to copy F1's plow blade????????

wesley123

shelly wrote:It is strange that thy have put an airscoop: the engine is turbo so it is not needed
They can feed intercoolers or w/e with it. Audi and Peugeot do the same on their LMP cars.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Giblet

rjsa wrote:Dear lord they had to copy F1's plow blade????????
And its almost like there is a middle regulated area like in F1, but if you are building a spec car, why make it look regulated?

But this is what these mock-ups are for. If the designers are smart they are scrubbing forums just like these to see what people want.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Richard

Giblet wrote:And its almost like there is a middle regulated area like in F1, but if you are building a spec car, why make it look regulated?

But this is what these mock-ups are for. If the designers are smart they are scrubbing forums just like these to see what people want.

There is no evolutionary imperative for designers to eliminate sub optimal elements. Hence the comic book look due to the heavy influence of aesthetics.

cossie

it looks like they mated the Deltawang with the old Dullarra, hidious, and to think the Moronic committee turned down Lola and Swift,do ya miss me now

Formula None

Agree that it seems to be an aesthetics driven design. It takes a talented designer/engineer to make something that is both beautiful & effective. Pre-aero era porsches, chaparrals & jaguars come to mind. Even in the modern era there are many fine examples of aero dominated cars that still look great (just check the Most Beautiful F1 car thread). It seems this new IRL car is reaching beyond its designer's abilities though. To me this comes off as unrefined & tacky. Like a McDonalds toy version of the 2011 HRT car. I appreciate that they are making a nod towards drag reduction with the rear wheel trailing surfaces, though. Not breaking much new ground aside from that it seems. In summary, if you have no aesthetic sense, design for functionality. You'll usually end up with something that still looks quite good and avoids coming off as pretentious.

Formula None

cossie wrote:it looks like they mated the Deltawang with the old Dullarra, hidious, and to think the Moronic committee turned down Lola and Swift,do ya miss me now
I also liked the Swift proposal. Forward slung sidepods that look good, exposed mechanical bits for the geeks, big venturis, attractive shape.

cossie

ya think Swift and Lola are laughing thier asses off now the this cluster f####k

Jersey Tom

I know engineers at Swift and I would not say they are 'laughing their asses off'.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

RabMcH

You have to remember though that those are not actual cars, the first prototype is still a WIP and even then it's only one possible version of what the car could look like. The possibility here for development is exceptionally high, other manufacturers have still to create their own. So even if this one looks ugly to some people, there may be other aero kits that appeal to a wider audience.

Giblet

Formula None wrote:Agree that it seems to be an aesthetics driven design. It takes a talented designer/engineer to make something that is both beautiful & effective. Pre-aero era porsches, chaparrals & jaguars come to mind. Even in the modern era there are many fine examples of aero dominated cars that still look great (just check the Most Beautiful F1 car thread). It seems this new IRL car is reaching beyond its designer's abilities though. To me this comes off as unrefined & tacky. Like a McDonalds toy version of the 2011 HRT car. I appreciate that they are making a nod towards drag reduction with the rear wheel trailing surfaces, though. Not breaking much new ground aside from that it seems. In summary, if you have no aesthetic sense, design for functionality. You'll usually end up with something that still looks quite good and avoids coming off as pretentious.
Looks like Hotwheels made a couple of racing cars. I'd like one with 2 engines and a surfboard on top please.

I have the complete high res image set if anyone wants any more shots let me know.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Scania

wesley123 wrote:they couldnt probably make it more uglier (well the Delta wing is uglier, but you can hardly call that a road vehicle, rahter call it an ground fighter). The indy version would actually look good without the hunp in front of the rear wheel and without the cover on the back of the rear wheel.
under the Luigi Colani's C-Form, Deltawing is better than this thing

RabMcH

[/quote]under the Luigi Colani's C-Form, Deltawing is better than this thing[/quote]

Define "better".