New IndyCar concepts break cover

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Shrek
Shrek

Re: Indy Car 2012 Concepts Break Cover

hey Giblet, do you know if there's any pictures of the underbody?
Spencer

Giblet
Giblet

Shrek wrote:hey Giblet, do you know if there's any pictures of the underbody?
No they were all taken as if you were walking around the 3d generated model at the track.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

jwielage
jwielage

Giblet wrote:
Formula None wrote:Agree that it seems to be an aesthetics driven design. It takes a talented designer/engineer to make something that is both beautiful & effective. Pre-aero era porsches, chaparrals & jaguars come to mind. Even in the modern era there are many fine examples of aero dominated cars that still look great (just check the Most Beautiful F1 car thread). It seems this new IRL car is reaching beyond its designer's abilities though. To me this comes off as unrefined & tacky. Like a McDonalds toy version of the 2011 HRT car. I appreciate that they are making a nod towards drag reduction with the rear wheel trailing surfaces, though. Not breaking much new ground aside from that it seems. In summary, if you have no aesthetic sense, design for functionality. You'll usually end up with something that still looks quite good and avoids coming off as pretentious.
Looks like Hotwheels made a couple of racing cars. I'd like one with 2 engines and a surfboard on top please.
By far the funniest thing I have read all day. :lol: You could not have said it any better.

Here's Indy's problem (beside the fact that they race primarily on ovals): I was at the New York auto show a few weeks ago and Honda had an Indy car there (granted it was a two seat demo version). It looked very rudimentary when compaired to a Formula 1 car, almost like comparing the work of Guns'n'Roses to a student Alt rock band. This creates the perception that Indy car is a second class series (which it is). To combat this they are having to put form over function, with these hot wheeles like designs being the result. But as a spec series what more can we expect.
“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so" - Mark Twain

RabMcH

Fair point Scania, also jwielage, what id like to know is why it is considered a second class series? If this new car can out perform an f1 (not saying it will i just hope it does as i always hope for cars that look out of this world or futuristic and beat everything else) will it stay pretty much the same as the tracks are mainly limited to America?

Scania
Scania

RabMcH wrote:Fair point Scania, also jwielage, what id like to know is why it is considered a second class series? If this new car can out perform an f1 (not saying it will i just hope it does as i always hope for cars that look out of this world or futuristic and beat everything else) will it stay pretty much the same as the tracks are mainly limited to America?
If American make a ar can make a speed like F1, but it only need 300hp to done that, what will FIA don in the next step?

RabMcH

Scania wrote:
RabMcH wrote:Fair point Scania, also jwielage, what id like to know is why it is considered a second class series? If this new car can out perform an f1 (not saying it will i just hope it does as i always hope for cars that look out of this world or futuristic and beat everything else) will it stay pretty much the same as the tracks are mainly limited to America?
If American make a ar can make a speed like F1, but it only need 300hp to done that, what will FIA don in the next step?
That is IF they can match the performance of a formula 1 car.

Scania
Scania

RabMcH wrote:
Scania wrote:
That is IF they can match the performance of a formula 1 car.
don't think that you know about speed more then the professional race engineer

remember , when john cooper bring Mid engine to us, everyone said it is a joke, when chapman bring wing to us, everyone said it is a joke, when McLaren bring CFRP chassic to us, everyone said it is a joke

cossie
cossie

the car is ugly, no new technoligy involved, why in this time do they have to put wieght jackers in a car, and it's still going to be spec racing, Dallarra has been developing the so called areo kits and they do not have to share any of the wind tunnel and testing data to other's like Honda, Chevy if they want to make kits, and the spec's for the areo kits have not been released to Honda or chevy, so Dallarra has many months of testing and wind tunnel data and the other's nada, count Gruop Lotus out, the will not have the money to build the engine or areo kit with Judd. Lola and Swift IMO should have been invited to build chassis also

Formula None
Formula None

Re: New IndyCar concepts break cover

Overview of some of the alternatives:

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/arti ... ever-were/

scuderiafan

I thought you guys might enjoy this

http://indycar.com/tech/content/38549-d ... e-indycar/

Design your own aerokit!
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

rjsa
rjsa

Oh dear lord the Mach5 style ribs on the nose are not part of the kit? Didn't the learn with the hideous Dallara that is there?

cossie
cossie

rjsa wrote:Oh dear lord the Mach5 style ribs on the nose are not part of the kit? Didn't the learn with the hideous Dallara that is there?
They didn't learn crap, . 1st of all the selection "Moronic" commettee was a sham, Dallarra had this before Swift. Lola or anyone else even submitted a model /plan. Right now Dallarra is still running wind tunnnel test ands CFD on the "areo kit, so guess what the League hasn't published or released any specs for the areo kit so when the other kit makers or who ever that may be, will be a year behind in testings desighn of thier kits and Dallarra doesn't have to share it's tests and data. so it's only Dallara kits nest year. and the car has no new tech designed into it, those fenders parotecting the reart wheeels, this is suppose to be open wheel racing, this is going to be another crapwagon with tons of downforce. ANd Judd and Lotus crap is vaporware, Proton is bleeding to much cash form the buying of Reanualt F1, and can't pay for thier engines right now, so how in the hell are they going to pay for a Judd engine and then R&D for an areo kit

scuderiafan

cossie wrote:ANd Judd and Lotus crap is vaporware, Proton is bleeding to much cash form the buying of Reanualt F1, and can't pay for thier engines right now, so how in the hell are they going to pay for a Judd engine and then R&D for an areo kit
Mind you, Lotus also has their GT4 and GT2 programs, and an LMP2 program their working on, not to mention the complete overhaul of the road car company. Lotus are stretching their supply lines, and if history has taught me anything it is that when your supply lines are stretched, they snap, and you're toast. Game over.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

cossie
cossie

Well again Dallara cloned a pig of a car, hidious, a road course car well rear wheel guards, once a crap wagon always a crapwagon

Carlos
Carlos

Thank you Cossie, for your comprehensive and stunningly technical analysis of Dallara's submission to the Indycar chassis competition. Posts such as yours, are what make this a true haven of engineering expertise.